Thai social media agog at politicians behaving badly

webfact

POLITICS
Social media agog at politicians behaving badly

BUDSARAKHAM SINLAPALAVAN,
SOMROUTAI SAPSOMBOON
THE NATION

30212237-03_big.jpg

Social-media users have slammed politicians' behaviour during the House of Representatives debate on the amnesty bill.

BANGKOK: -- Pheu Thai MP Prasit Chaisrisa lived up to his reputation for controversial behaviour by displaying his shoes during the debate on Wednesday. Prasit took off his shoes and put them on a table, saying he feared Democrat MPs would harm Pheu Thai MP Worachai Hema. As he was sitting near Worachai, he took off his shoes so he could spring to his aid if needed, Prasit said.

Last year reporters covering Parliament gave Prasit the alias "Dark Star" for his "violent, aggressive and crude behaviour" during House meetings. Prasit was heavily criticised for verbally harassing female MP Rangsima Rodrasami in a censure debate during the last House of Representatives session.

Wednesday's shoe-removing incident became a popular topic of discussion on social media, particularly among the "citizen detectives" in Pantip.com's chat rooms.

Member 786759 on www.pantip.com posted a video clip of Prasit showing his shoes, titled "Voice from Surin Province to Prasit". He also showed an image captured from his Facebook page, on which people censured Prasit over the clip.

"If Prasit is an example of the behaviour of people from Surin, I'm steering clear of them," said one.

"Surin people don't want Prasit," said another. "I hate you, and your behaviour is destroying the good image of Surin," said a third.

The SaiTrongPhakSanam page on Facebook also posted pictures of Prasit and his shoes. The pictures garnered more than 2,000 likes, 500 shares and more than 500 comments.

The Ja Prasit Rak Prachatipatai page posted comments from some Prasit supporters, but most of them said Prasit should tone down his behaviour. "Please tone it down in Parliament," advised Zatan Red.

"Ja Prasit should apologise to people before this turns into a big story," said Pokkytoday Red.

On Twitter, @zeza136 posted: "I think it isn't appropriate and Prasit should be a responsible man."

@MoohpeeX posted: "One should be responsible for what he does, and Democrat MP too"

@ohmmiena posted: "Prasit isn't destroying [only] himself, but he's destroying his party and his province too."

But the complaints were not reserved for the ruling party. Some were aimed at the Democrats, such as this post from @iamnatties: " regret that Prasit took off his shoes but didn't throw them."

@ratthawet said: "I am not defending Prasit, but I condemn the Democrat MPs who booed during the meeting, including Democrat MP Boonyod Sooktinthai, whose behaviour included shouting and striking a table with documents."

Government MPs also posted clips showing Democrat MPs in a bad light. Pheu Thai MP Phonpoom Vipattipumi-prates posted a clip showing Boonyod slamming documents around and shouting.

This video clip got 114 likes, 979 shares and 53 comments, including, "It's the same old game," from Win Puston, and "Manners show one's nature," from Kriengsak Krichawan.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-09

Pheu Thai MP Prasit Chaisrisa lived up to his reputation for controversial behaviour by displaying his shoes during the debate on Wednesday. Prasit took off his shoes and put them on a table, saying he feared Democrat MPs would harm Pheu Thai MP Worachai Hema. As he was sitting near Worachai, he took off his shoes so he could spring to his aid if needed, Prasit said.

Last year reporters covering Parliament gave Prasit the alias "Dark Star" for his "violent, aggressive and crude behaviour" during House meetings. Prasit was heavily criticised for verbally harassing female MP Rangsima Rodrasami in a censure debate during the last House of Representatives session.

It is the sort of behavior one can expect by letting unbalanced Red Shirt Leaders have a seat in Parliament.

166363_167472299963749_1473810_n.jpg

Red Shirt Leader and Pheu Thai Party MP Prasit Chaisrisa's public Facebook page:

https://th-th.facebook.com/prasit.chaisrisa

Edited by HuaHinHarold

I would have thought that leaving your shoes on would facilitate springing to someone's aid? Much better to sink the boot in. How are you supposed to do that in your socks?

Amateurs.

Without his shoes on it's easier to stuff a gun inside his sock.

I would have thought that leaving your shoes on would facilitate springing to someone's aid? Much better to sink the boot in. How are you supposed to do that in your socks?

Amateurs.

Amateurs indeed. In South Korea and Taiwan they have brawls at times.

• Like 1

Why is the media " agog " only now, the children have been in this playground for decades ?

I was thinking along the same lines. They act like 10 year olds at the best of times, but now they're taking it to a new (sub)level.

"I'm going to take my shoes off and hold my breath until all you bad people go away."

Why is the media " agog " only now, the children have been in this playground for decades ?

I was thinking along the same lines. They act like 10 year olds at the best of times, but now they're taking it to a new (sub)level.

"I'm going to take my shoes off and hold my breath until all you bad people go away."

and more impressive, noisy and attention getting to stamp the feet with shoes on but TIT

Amateurs.

Are Dr. Martin boots on sale here ? Nice concession for some vendor to get into.

Who takes their footwear off to prepare for action ? As an ex cop I can't imagine kicking a door in wearing socks unless the smell rotted it VERY quickly

This is a metaphore, his attitude in parliament directly reflects the PT attitude to the citizens of this country who are not in the Taksin clan group. The PT party are showing the dirty bottoms of their feet to everyone with their utter contempt for rule of law and justice. Forget the amnesty crap and do your damn jobs, run the country for the good of the people instead of the good of yourselves...

It required a move to Thailand for facebook postings to be considered "news." This seems to be an editorial in the guise of the naturalistic observation of "like" and "share" behavior of teenagers and iphone addicted adults - the new media.

Amateurs.

No kidding, and their brawls are serious.

Amateurs.

No kidding, and their brawls are serious.

Yes, I've seen the footage on TV at times, and these guy actually dive across desks to get to the offending MP.

But brawls are never going to happen in the Thai parliament. I just don't think the numbers are right. Anybody who's seen the way Thai men fight know that they won't dare enter into physical conflict unless they have 4 or 5 of their friends to help set in on one defender. In this case, the numbers are too even.

Edited by Wavefloater