Printer Sought After Now

slippery when wet

Don't get the Brother '3 in 1' if you want to use refill inks. Brother machines can only use Brother inks, at a price of course. Otherwise the head clogs up and they gleefully tell you at the Brother repair centre that they can't do anything and that you're the third this week with the problem.

(Any one want to buy a Brother '3 in 1', used for one month only, but has a clogged printer head? )

However, I can recommend a Canon '3 in 1' . The ink cartridges are easy to get to and refill and the printhead is accessible too. It's a good general purpose home use machine. I find the scanner easy to use and of good quality, even my 8 year daughter can use the copy facility for school work with no problem.

After looking at the replies from a previous posting regarding a 3 way combo I have decided to buy a printer.

Again I seek your advise as to what you recommend.

Thank you.

Slippery...

Yes, you're right .....don't buy a combo. The printer that I recommend is a Canon Pixma IP3000 or 4000. Brilliant machines for about 4,500 baht and 6,000 baht respectively...maybe even cheaper.

Don't get the Brother '3 in 1' if you want to use refill inks. Brother machines can only use Brother inks, at a price of course. Otherwise the head clogs up and they gleefully tell you at the Brother repair centre that they can't do anything and that you're the third this week with the problem.

(Any one want to buy a Brother '3 in 1', used for one month only, but has a clogged printer head? )

However, I can recommend a Canon '3 in 1' . The ink cartridges are easy to get to and refill and the printhead is accessible too. It's a good general purpose home use machine. I find the scanner easy to use and of good quality, even my 8 year daughter can use the copy facility for school work with no problem.

Same Same :o

and anyway Brother are a 'me too company' copying the big boys at the likes of Canon and Panasonic, check out the cheapo returns at Lotus mostly Brother (never buy any of these cheapos!).

Edited by fisherd3

IMHO, if you want a scanner buy a scanner and if you want a printer buy a printer. I would avoid ANY printer that requires you to buy a print head ink tank combination. For a little more money you can buy a printer that has the ink head built in and all you have to buy is the ink tanks. The ink runs out sooner than you think and if you are just buying the tanks they will be about a third or less than the price of a combination. Besides that you can buy a color or black ink tank depending which one runs out. I think HP will give you the printer if you buy the EXPENSIVE ink cartridge. LOL!

I bought a compact Canon (i70) after I came over because my space was limited and it has an infrared port. No cables are required for my laptop. Since then I have a desk top and still use the little compact Canon. It even does a remarkable job of printing photos. I do wish the ink tanks were a little larger. I could carry my laptop and the printer in a single briefcase.

Edited by Gary A

I second a Canon printer.

Have had Canon Pixma iP1000 (cheap) for couple of years now, use copy cartridges and ink refills and so far have had very little problem.

I don’t use the printer all that much so regularly run nozzle cleaning maintenance to stop drying out.

:o

After looking at the replies from a previous posting regarding a 3 way combo I have decided to buy a printer.

Again I seek your advise as to what you recommend.

Thank you.

Slippery...

What (and how much of it) do you want to print?

I would avoid ANY printer that requires you to buy a print head ink tank combination. For a little more money you can buy a printer that has the ink head built in and all you have to buy is the ink tanks.

I would say the exact opposite.

I had an Epson printer with fixed heads and they clogged up.

To replace them cost 7000 baht each............

I ended up dumping the printer and bought an HP model where I got a new head

each time I replaced the ink cartridge at arond 1000 baht a pop.

That is not to say that the cartidges could not be refilled. :o

Canon also make good reliable printers.

You need to look at how much printing you will do and then consider the models

available. Look at the quoted duty cycle, usually on pages per month.

The cheap models will have a low figure and will have a reasonable life at that

level, but they will not stand heavy use. For that you need a more robust model,

and the price will be higher.

It's quite tempting to refill your ink tanks when you can do it for a hundred baht or less. A new black tank for my Canon costs 280 baht and a color tank is maybe 400 baht. I would guess replacing the fixed ink head in my Canon would be expensive so I use only genuine Canon replacement tanks.

I would say the exact opposite.

I had an Epson printer with fixed heads and they clogged up.

To replace them cost 7000 baht each............

I ended up dumping the printer and bought an HP model where I got a new head

each time I replaced the ink cartridge at arond 1000 baht a pop.

That is not to say that the cartidges could not be refilled. :o

Canon also make good reliable printers.