Thinking about coming to Pattaya for 3 months

rideswings

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I prefer staying in Jomtien for long-term (several months or more). Tends to be a little less frantic but still has plenty of good restaurants for many different kinds of food and they have a growing collection of bars, especially down by the market. When you want to go into Pattaya, there are plenty of baht buses on Thap Phraya Road. I've rented condos in View Talay 2 twice. They have restaurants, laundry, coffee shop, and a big pool all right there.

I can recommend Dancewatchers/Khun Tik. I have rented a condo from Khun Tik for three months in 2010 and for seven months in 2011/2012. She treats you straight and delivers what she promises. I had a problem with the sliding door to the balcony. She had a repairman there that same day. She does not pad the electric bills. She charges the government rate. I had heard multiple horror stories about managers/landlords not returning deposits. Not so with Tik! In both my rentals with her, I did no damage to the room, so I got my deposit back. Simple as that. No problems. No arguments.

Of course they charge for beach chairs! On some days, the beach at Jomtien is clean, sometimes dirty, depending on currents and wind. You wont find any Clean beaches here, but then you will get used to it.

Why the sarcasm ??

The OP has already stated he hasn't been to Pattaya previously

Where do they have free beach chairs? Maybe some place where they sell over priced food, so they can give you a free sit down! Also a lot of these questions could be answered with a simple Google search.

Off-course there are no free beach chairs, local people rent each little piece of the beach from City Hall and then put chairs on the plot.

City Hall regulates the price pr chair and how many chairs each plot can have and they do that quite well unlike Phuket where the prices have gone though the roof long time ago.

I swam in the sea off the main beach of Pattaya a few months back, didn't see anything dirty about the water and suffered no illness whatsoever in my stay there.

I remember in 70s at home in Wales swimming amongst visible raw sewerage occasionally and coal dust washing up. Now that is filth.

Those Welsh beaches are lovely now, they even film Doctor Who there

Pattaya beach is small and unfortunately the water is not clean. If you walk along Beach Road at night, you will also see dozens of rats running around the beach area. I have swam in the sea a few times at Jomtien but wouldn't at Pattaya. If you're overly cautious, you could stick to only swimming at Ko Lan or Rayong, the sea water there is much cleaner.

As for condos, I would recommend you check out expat-condos.com, great website for short and long leases. Loads of different condos at all different prices, mine was at View Talay 1 at Jomtien and cost about 12,000 baht for the month. It was great, it had a huge swimming pool and I had no problems whatsoever..

Edited by bazmlb

Of course they charge for beach chairs! On some days, the beach at Jomtien is clean, sometimes dirty, depending on currents and wind. You wont find any Clean beaches here, but then you will get used to it.

Why the sarcasm ??

The OP has already stated he hasn't been to Pattaya previously

Caught my eye to.The guys just asking for a bit of advice.

• Like 1

Rayon and Ko Samet Island have clean and beautiful beaches, and are more affordable than Pattaya, also easy to find a place for rent by the beach and to use just a motorbike to look around. In Pattaya, and for just 3 months, probably will be a better deal to get a room in a service apartment building if you like some privacy......or a guest house. Will be not problem to get your deposit back.

"Hi forum. I am thinking about coming to Pattaya for 3 months starting in September...."

I never will go to Pattaya again, only by force. Thailand has such a lot of beautiful places with almost all the amenities Pattaya has to offer. And those places might be a lot cheaper, cleaner, more fun, and less dangerous.

• Like 1

pace yourself ( fun and money wise) so you don't get burnt out too soon.

Maybe good advice. I have lived in Udon, Phuket and Chiang Mai. Does the money tend to "slip away" faster in Pattaya? I hope not. haha

My major vice is not women or booze, its radio control models. It might not be as good as sex, but it sure lasts longer anc costs less in the long run.

I once had a BJ off a radio controlled model of the battleship Bismarck! that was different !

Pattaya beach... no way I would swim in that sewer. And it is literally a sewer. Google around and see for yourself.

Jomtien beach... anyone have the photo from a few weeks ago with the black sewer leak pouring into the water? While parts of it are cleaner than others, it is also a sewer dump. Literally.

IMHO, Hua Hin and Pkuket have much cleaner beaches. I won't swim in the water around Pattaya. Seen too many spills, raw sewer pipe leaks, and garbage dumped into it.

"Seen too many spills, raw sewer pipe leaks, and garbage dumped into it."

My life certainly seems uneventful compared to yours.

Open your eyes from time to time. It may change your life.

This street rain run off (pure filth) dumps close to where people with uneventful lives swim...

PsjYgL6.jpg

Last one in is a rotten egg!

This street rain run off (pure filth) dumps close to where people with uneventful lives swim...

That picture is from the storm drains, it's just dirty water. Yes it should probably be treated, but it's not raw sewage.

You'll see something like this everywhere you go in Thailand, not just Pattaya.

That picture is from the storm drains, it's just dirty water. Yes it should probably be treated, but it's not raw sewage.

I said it was a street run off in my post. But yes, it is filthy, and common site as you say, which is the reason I posted it, because the poster said I must live an eventful life to see such things.

That said, this is a Jomtien sewage leak into the water:

QYHLD8W.jpg

Things like this are impossible to see from the ground, but from a higher vantage point you can see leaks like this in various parts of Jomtien and Pattaya if you keep your eyes open. This is exactly what I will not swim in the waters. They are not only sewer pits, but they also serve as dumps for filthy water from the streets. And that can't be healthy.

The RC flying club is in full swing. I was there a couple days ago. I think the other place is just a short distance from my house as well - if it is the same place - looked different when I visited, but then they'd just hosted a BMX meet with folk from Malaysia. PM me when the time draws near and I'll give you precise directions. BTW, the 2nd place has a nice little lake for boats - complete with canoe in case your pride and joy dies on you.

Pattaya beach... no way I would swim in that sewer. And it is literally a sewer. Google around and see for yourself.

Jomtien beach... anyone have the photo from a few weeks ago with the black sewer leak pouring into the water? While parts of it are cleaner than others, it is also a sewer dump. Literally.

IMHO, Hua Hin and Pkuket have much cleaner beaches. I won't swim in the water around Pattaya. Seen too many spills, raw sewer pipe leaks, and garbage dumped into it.

Agree, whenever I swam there, water was a cloudy brown, plastic bags floating around and there were small lumps of brown stuff in the water. On the beaches round Jomtein, they were also fillthy, dog ends in the sand and other debris. Without doubt the worst beaches in Thailand are situated there. Rent a guest house there for a couple of nights. Far better to look for accomodation on "The Dark Side" and enjoy some of the pool bars there. Dont risk the sea! sorry.

I said it was a street run off in my post. But yes, it is filthy, and common site as you say, which is the reason I posted it, because the poster said I must live an eventful life to see such things.

The last time I was in Pattaya there were torrential downpours in the evenings. I got caught out in one and had to wade through knee-deep water to get out of the area around 2nd road and Pattaya Tai. The next morning, I had contact dermatitis (rash) and severe itching on my lower legs where they came in contact to the water. It may not be sewage, but it's just as toxic.

Edited by Loptr

I have swam in the sea at Jomtien several times and I've never come across any unidentified floating objects or contracted any strange ailments. However, I think this talk about beaches needs some context..............if you have had the pleasure of visiting some of the lovely beaches in many UK holiday towns (I'm not naming them because I don't want to put the boot in), you will find more sewage and waste floating around including excrement and condoms than you will ever see in Thailand. Swimming in the sea needs common sense anywhere in the world with regard to safety and whether the water is contaminated or not. There seems to be paranoia developing about this along with the nonsensical Pattaya is dangerous comments. I have walked around Pattaya at 3.4 and 5am with girls and on my own sometimes and I've never felt it's dangerous at all ever. How many UK city centres would you freely walk around in for 2 hours at 3 or 4am and feel safe!?biggrin.png

Edited by Rob180
  • Like 1

The RC flying club is in full swing. I was there a couple days ago. I think the other place is just a short distance from my house as well - if it is the same place - looked different when I visited, but then they'd just hosted a BMX meet with folk from Malaysia. PM me when the time draws near and I'll give you precise directions. BTW, the 2nd place has a nice little lake for boats - complete with canoe in case your pride and joy dies on you.

Thanks Wit, I will be in touch when I get in.

The last time I was in Pattaya there were torrential downpours in the evenings. I got caught out in one and had to wade through knee-deep water to get out of the area around 2nd road and Pattaya Tai. The next morning, I had contact dermatitis (rash) and severe itching on my lower legs where they came in contact to the water. It may not be sewage, but it's just as toxic.

I have done this too numerous times over the past 10 years, never had any problems (other than I've ruined more than on e pair of good shoes, but that's another story).

I have done this too numerous times over the past 10 years, never had any problems (other than I've ruined more than on e pair of good shoes, but that's another story).

I used to do that as well until I learned the hard way that sometimes the drain covers on the road are opened by the pressure of water around them. One of my legs fell into the hole and cut it to pieces. Got a nasty infection, tetanus shot, stitches, hospital and all of that. Still have the scars. I'm just thankful I didn't totally go in with both feet.

The doc at the hospital told me every flood they treat at least one motorbike accident where they are driving through the floods and go front wheel first into an open drain.

Something I had never given any thought to before.

One of three outfalls on Jomtien Beach.

BW.

Can I ask about how far from Pattaya this beach is??? It looks awesome!

That is Jomtien Beach, over the hill on the other side of Pattaya. Depending on your mode of travel and traffic, 10 - 30 minutes.

Even with what you see pouring into it, it is much nicer than Pattaya Beach.

You can also go out to Koh Larn island via a boat.

I have lived in Jomtien for at least 7 or 8 years now and have NEVER EVER gone into the water. I would rather swim in my own toilet, thank you. Safer. It is so common for people to get infections from that water.... ear infections most common. Bangkok Pattaya Hospital should set up clinic to visit after a dip. I don't even wear sandals anymore after a couple of staph infections. I do not patronize the beach chair mafia. I am 99% sure they are behind the removal of almost all the concrete benches that used to line beach road, plus trimming of trees to take away any free shade. Asked police when this was being done as for the reason and was told "crime suppression".... yeah, right. IF you are not coming for booze and broads, I would suggest a more tranquil place, cheaper, and with clean beaches. There are still a few around I hear.

I used to do that as well until I learned the hard way that sometimes the drain covers on the road are opened by the pressure of water around them. One of my legs fell into the hole and cut it to pieces. Got a nasty infection, tetanus shot, stitches, hospital and all of that. Still have the scars. I'm just thankful I didn't totally go in with both feet.

The doc at the hospital told me every flood they treat at least one motorbike accident where they are driving through the floods and go front wheel first into an open drain.

Something I had never given any thought to before.

You also need to be carefull about electrocution !!!! There where a couple of reported cases in the South Pattaya area a few years ago.

I have lived in Jomtien for at least 7 or 8 years now and have NEVER EVER gone into the water. I would rather swim in my own toilet, thank you. Safer. It is so common for people to get infections from that water.... ear infections most common. Bangkok Pattaya Hospital should set up clinic to visit after a dip. I don't even wear sandals anymore after a couple of staph infections. I do not patronize the beach chair mafia. I am 99% sure they are behind the removal of almost all the concrete benches that used to line beach road, plus trimming of trees to take away any free shade. Asked police when this was being done as for the reason and was told "crime suppression".... yeah, right. IF you are not coming for booze and broads, I would suggest a more tranquil place, cheaper, and with clean beaches. There are still a few around I hear.

Can you name a few? I am not coming for the booze and broads.

My reasons for considering Pattaya were:

The beaches, even if they are not the cleanest in Thailand. I grew up near a beach and miss it

RC Flying field, RC car track

Close to Bangkok

Better possibility of seasonal (3 month) condo rental as opposed to 1 year most other places

Edited by rideswings

Can you name a few? I am not coming for the booze and broads.

My reasons for considering Pattaya were:

The beaches, even if they are not the cleanest in Thailand. I grew up near a beach and miss it

Close to Bangkok

Better possibility of seasonal (3 month) condo rental as opposed to 1 year most other places

Makes sense to me. I also love my sea view and enjoy a stroll along the beach but I haven't swum in the sea here or anywhere for at least 45 years. I just dont like salt water.

Add to that the easy availability and wide choice of reasonably priced food and accommodation, and the favourable tax situation and easy long visa options, and there you have all the reasons I live here.

Other sea-side places in Thailand are somewhat less attractive to me as they are either quite a bit more expensive or dont offer the choice of international food, or both.