update on BKK BANK. service

i am not happy with BKK Bank but figure it's good to keep an account open there. Some facts from today...

1. minimum balance to not pay monthly fee THB2000

2. Debit card (MC) can be used yo pay for a ticket with any airline except THAI AIR and AIR ASIA. Hmm, only the most important ones)

3. As a tourist without any residency status I CAN get internet banking... if the HQ manager signs to guarantee me. Yeah right. Sounds like. 'yes, but no' And I had to press for that detail, so the info was misleading,

4. Sala Daemg branch clerk spoke no English to er , speak of so I wrote my two questions down like I was a bank robber .

5. Had to ask for s printout of current balance after making a deposit. Struck me as odd.

So, I prefer SCM or Kasikorn but BKK Bank has a few advantages making it worth keeping.

1. The minimum Bt2000 balance if the account is inactive for over 12 months (i.e., no deposits, withdrawals, payments, etc) to avoid a monthly fee is common to all/most Thai banks. You can keep less than Bt2,000 in the account without any fee as long as you show at least one transaction per year. If you think it may go inactive for over 12 months because you'll be out of the country or something, just be sure to keep at least Bt2000 in the account.

2. Does your SCB or K-Bank Debit card work with Thai Air and Air Asia? Some companies just don't take debit cards, especially for online purchases...but will take credit cards.

4. How is the Sala Daemg SCB or K-Bank clerks' English?

5. Expect you didn't have your passbook when making the deposit as they would have just updated your passbook showing the new balance plus given you the deposit receipt.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2

1. As above, fees only charged on accounts with no transactions whatsoever for 1 year AND a balance of under 2,000 Baht. Justified I would say.

2. Not sure what you mean, all Bkk Bank debit cards are of the Visa Electron type, not MC. And as per above, not all airlines accept debit cards, but rather require full credit cards.

3. Admittedly, Bangkok bank is too strict on allowing internet banking.

You basically have to prove you have some sort of long time commitment to Thailand (which would justify the need of internet banking).

Automatically done if you hold a 1 year extension of any sort, or a work permit. In any other situation you'll have to convince your local branch manager of your need of internet banking. Not too hard at most branches, a long term rental contract, condo ownership papers, being married to a Thai national all seems to be readily accepted.

4. Many banks, many branches (if not most) will only have a very few staff members fluent in English, maybe a few more just getting by. Thai is the main language here, and we know foreign languages is a stumbling block at many businesses, not only banks.

5. In Thailand they still use a bankbook (done away with that back home for many years now), so only doing a deposit with bankbook present will see an automatic update of your balance. All other deposits and you will simply receive a printout showing the deposited account. Even when you deposit at an automatic deposit machine (CDM), your new balance is not shown! You'll have to check your balance at the ATM next to it after doing the deposit!

• Like 1

...Even when you deposit at an automatic deposit machine (CDM), your new balance is not shown! You'll have to check your balance at the ATM next to it after doing the deposit!

Or slide your passbook into the Passbook Update Machine that is usually next to the ATM and CDM....or at least some of the branches I use have that three machine setup.

Edited by Pib

...Even when you deposit at an automatic deposit machine (CDM), your new balance is not shown! You'll have to check your balance at the ATM next to it after doing the deposit!

Or slide your passbook into the Passbook Update Machine that is usually next to the ATM and CDM....or at least some of the branches I use have that three machine setup.

Most have indeed! They like to keep the punters outside and let them do all the work themselves laugh.png

3. As a tourist without any residency status I CAN get internet banking... if the HQ manager signs to guarantee me. Yeah right. Sounds like. 'yes, but no' And I had to press for that detail, so the info was misleading,

If you're a tourist (as opposed to a long term resident pretending to be a tourist) why do you need so many bank accounts? How many banks in other countries give tourists bank accounts especially these days with all the money laundering issues?

4. Sala Daemg branch clerk spoke no English to er , speak of so I wrote my two questions down like I was a bank robber .

Maybe when she saw a real charmer like you hove into sight she decided not speaking English would make you disappear. All the clerks I've ever encountered at Bangkok Bank branches spoke English quite well, but then I don't usually act like everyone exists only to serve me.

Writing questions is acting like a bank robber?? Yes, a real charmer.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

I have never had any problems with Bangkok Bank other than having to update important information at the account where I opened my account. No problems with internet banking, either. There computer system is very secure and better than my credit union account in the US. By the way, the bank has just offered issuing an ATM/Debit card that can also be used as 'Rabbit' card on the BTS. A very good value in my view. I applied for the new card at the Bangkok branch at Siam Paragon. The customer service rep was polite and service oriented. The internet banking service is a great service.

• Like 1

Never had a problem with Bangkok Bank, have 2 accounts with them for 14 years, as well as SCB..

Got my New UK Passport with the Debit Card last year, have bought airline tickets, used in ATM's for cash, in many places outside of Thailand...

Think it is also how you set up the account for use of Debit card.

Some good information above, especially as I am considering moving my accounts from SCB and opening accounts with Bangkok Bank.

There are a few reasons for this, and although the SCB staff in general speak a little English to enable me/us to get by, anything out of the ordinary is extremely difficult, the most recent point in question being when I wanted to change the telephone number entered into a direct credit and couldn't.

I went to the branch twice and explained the problem and they basically said it was me because I was slow in operating the system, so I asked them to do it, and they couldn't, not even with the help of three other staff members and the manager. The most annoying part was that the girl who seemed to "take ownership" of the problem walked away after a while when she realised that it wasn't working and just left me sitting at a desk in the branch!! Abandoned!! So, after two visits, assistance from the in-branch experts and just about every man and his dog, I am back where I started with no solution.

On that point, I believe I have unwittingly uncovered a flaw in their computer program as nobody seems to be able to do what is quite a simple action. On the same subject, I wanted my direct credit to go on indefinitely, however the system only allows me to pre-programme it for six months in advance, then I have to do it all over again, and so on.

Another reason is that I have money coming in from overseas from two different sources and there is no code entered (despite the requesting one on the senders information) on my SCB account to show which one is which.

In addition I believe Bangkok Bank have a branch in London and a system whereby I can open a "bank account" (or a numbered account which acts like one) and get money transferred that way, which saves some pretty hefty exchange rate fees.

Finally, when I wanted to transfer a few million baht out of the country and presented the SCB paperwork which showed that I had bought at least twice that amount in the country over the past few years, I wasn't able to transfer it because the paperwork that they gave me wasn't sufficient............. it had to be from the clearing bank, and they had never mentioned this in the past, so I ended up having to go a rather circuitous route by buying a Thai bank bond for a week, before cashing it in and then transferring the money.

Any other points that I should know about regarding Bangkok Bank would be most appreciated.

Thamks for the many valid points.

Pib, yes SCB debit card works (do I am told) with Npk Air and Air Asia.

True, English fluency is not much better st SCB. However I am made to feel more welcome at SCB. I usually feel 'tolerated' at BKK Bank, exvept at head iffice. Maybe it has something to do with the financial apartheid at BKK Bamk.

I have both SCB and Bangkok bank (and K-bank as well), and all of their systems have some flaws somewhere.

In general, the Bkk bank is the easiest one to work with. SCB the hardest/most complicated.

Never had real issues with Bkk bank, nor really with the others, and as often mentioned, service level can differ wildly between different branches, regardless of which bank.

At the moment I would give Bkk a bit of the advantage, they seem to be leading with innovations etc, they are the first (and only) to introduce skim safe EMV chipped ATM cards, they were the first to abolish the fee for inter region transfers between accounts of Bkk bank (online banking only currently).

But regarding SMS notifications on account activity Kasikorn is slightly better then Bkk bank.

• Like 1

I've got accounts at three different Bangkok Bank branchs...for the two in the metropolitan Bangkok area each branch does just fine for English so far, but the third branch in a nearby province where the farangs are few that branch has very little English capability based on my interface with them over the years...and I've been with them for at least 10 years...only one of the supervisors knows a little English...and she has her son in a U.S. college right now. But keep in mind, this is Thailand where they speak Thai so finding a branch with good English capability is probably going to depend on luck of the draw especially in the provinces/small towns. And in a branch that may have good English capability right now say because of one or two employees, but that English capability could walk out the door when those employees leave the job or just ain't there on the day you show up with a problem to discuss. So, the more Thai a person knows the better...knowing at least enough Thai to broadly (roughly) describe your issue/problem is many times enough to get your point across (and yeap, sometimes it's not). Preaching to the choir I know.

I have both SCB and Bangkok bank (and K-bank as well), and all of their systems have some flaws somewhere.

In general, the Bkk bank is the easiest one to work with. SCB the hardest/most complicated.

Never had real issues with Bkk bank, nor really with the others, and as often mentioned, service level can differ wildly between different branches, regardless of which bank.

At the moment I would give Bkk a bit of the advantage, they seem to be leading with innovations etc, they are the first (and only) to introduce skim safe EMV chipped ATM cards, they were the first to abolish the fee for inter region transfers between accounts of Bkk bank (online banking only currently).

But regarding SMS notifications on account activity Kasikorn is slightly better then Bkk bank.

SCB now offer 6 free inter region transfer per month. Also SMS can't be much quicker as soon as the debit card is read at the retailer I have the SMS the next second.

SCB now offer 6 free inter region transfer per month. Also SMS can't be much quicker as soon as the debit card is read at the retailer I have the SMS the next second.
It's good to see other banks are following!

Do any BKK Bank users know if they have a "direct credit" system which allows me to set up a monthly payment for as long as I want. With SCB I have to renew/re-do it every six months?

Thanks.

When you make a transfer you can chose to do it once, weekly, monthly or quarterly.

If you chose one of the latter 3 options, it keeps doing this until you cancel it.

I have my private accounts here with Bangkok Bank based at their Samsen road branch, I really cant fault the service here, recently when a fixed savings account was maturing a girl from the bank phoned to remind me.

They deal with many foreigners so most staff speak passable English other branches outside the tourist centers or in the provinces for sure it will be less , but no surprise there.

My local day to day branch is in Langsuan and once again the service here from the lady manager to the girls on the counter, apart from one miserable middle aged male clerk ( who I avoid and he avoids me) is impeccable and friendly.

I make regular overseas payments from here and yes when I explained in Thai they got the idea and only then I found out the girl could speak some English!

These first time the transactions took the best part of an hour so I returned with some chocolate's for the girls who helped, and have been treated like royalty ever since, cant complain!

re SCB however, I used to have my business accounts there when I ran a business, after 10 years each visit still seemed to be an ordeal.

Several obvious advantages would be:

1. Direct domestic type deposit from several countries without using more expensive SWIFT system.

2. Direct deposit of US government payments.

3. Electronic check cashing for US checks.

4. Secure chip ATM card availability.

5. Good English language internet access.

6. Wide availability of branch offices and ATM's.

• Like 1

BKK BANK used to have a Farang representative at their HQ ( he even sometimes replied to threads here in this forum), and I had emailed him a few years back and got prompt replies.

Unfortunately, when I had a few questions a few months ago and even was asking about investment opportunities as a Farang in TH, my emails remained unanswered. maybe this guy is not with BKK anymore, but then why they did not forward email going to his account to his successor or any other department at BKK BANK ? I then sent emails several times to their "contact us" - form on their website, but did not receive any answer at all.

poor service me thinks, but I do not have any other options.

Will probably have to go to the HQ in person and inquire.