Problem with guy parking in front of my restaurant

RaysFan

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing all the things that can go wrong when running a business. Anyhow, since this is not your country, I would first ask if you can buy this guy one beer. try to be as nice as possible, maybe give him some food, and politely tell him you are helping thais and his bus is hurting your ability to help thais. ok, say that doesn't work. I wonder if you can pay for some new construction on this road. maybe a new sidewalk, not sure. if needed, of course. then prolong the work for a long time.

calling the police when you are foreigner is not good. remember, you love this country and will do anything to make anyone happy. you are making him happy via parking spot. so find the happy medium and keep up with yoga and deep breathing exercises.

Being nice in Thailand is a huge mistake. One would have to assume that the person you are talking with is also nice. My experience is that if you find you have to ask someone to fix a problem here and that person IS the problem they will just tell you to fluck off. Lady across the street from me has 20-30 dogs. They bark 22 hours a day all day and all night long wailing, crying, barking etc. I politely asked here to do something. She said her dogs don't bark.

So, I thought ok, it must be those dam_n mushrooms I eat from the forest and that maybe I have just been dreaming for 6 straight months that I hear her dogs barking all night long so I literally stayed up all night one night and taped the dogs every hour. Next day I went to her with the tapes and her reply was, "well those aren't my dogs" "you made that up". And of course, the picture of her house with all the dogs in her yard wasn't her house either. When you deal with idiots you get idiot responses. Especially here it seems. Which probably makes me the real idiot in the first place thinking that being nice here can accomplish anything.

It doesn't. And of course common sense here is like trying to find a whore house in Bangkok-they don't exist I'm told. If I hadn't gone to her and been nice and polite and made a simple request her dogs would all be in Budda dog heaven now but since she knows me I assume if her dogs met an untimely demise she would blame me for it. Of course, I would never think of hurting her dogs.

Going to the police here is a total waste of time. We did it. We even went to the village chief. They said there was nothing they could do. I suggested to the colonel that if they fined the people who let their dogs run around the neighborhood 400 baht ea that they could make more money than chasing down the motorcyclists with no helmuts. He looked at me like I was nuts. Surprised he made to colonel. Someone up the ladder should look in to that.

Then again, does anyone know where I can buy some poison? I have some huge rats running around my house. LOL

I had the same problem here years ago--i launched a water balloon brigade--all out war!!! Oh man did

it feel good when i nailed one and it was like"<deleted> was that?!!!!" did someone just nail me in the darkness

with a handhelp water ballon(bought at my local shop)..well worth the investment!!....also they have those

sonic units can order online---there are also foods that dogs shouldnt eat but then thats not MY sugg..

As i told the dog lady where i was ...handle ur dogs or i will...sad to say i did end up moving..chok dee!!!!

Ive learned not to move anywhere near dogs/chickens/roosters/karaoke/construction--taken MANY moves

"

They were all set to be cut down around 2006 as people were speeding/drunk and hitting them. There was an upcry from the locals. The day before they were set to be cut down they got monks to wrap them in orange robes....

The orange robes that are still wrapped around them today. xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png"

I hope that you were being sarcastic. Because that is totally untrue.

There are indeed still orange cloths wrapped around the trees, probably been renewed a few times though. So why do you claim he is being untruthful? I pass by them regularly.

Re the OP, I'd get someone to dump a load of sand on the road to prevent the bus parking.

Again, this thread reinforces my contention that a farang should NEVER buy property in LOS.

Ok, so new developments, he hasnt parked his bus outside in about a week... He has now started parking his tuk tuks (3 of them) right in front of my restaurant and leaving them there 24/7... 1 or 2 of them will be gone occasionally, but there is ALWAYS one there in the spot (again, its just 1 open spot in front of my restaurant, red to the left and right of it). Yesterday at 5 pm there was only 1 tuk tuk outside, and it was time for me to open, so I went out and pushed his tuk tuk down the road in front of the fence i was talking about in a recent post (about 100 yards of open parking not blocking anything but a wooden fence). Anyways, about 5 minutes after I did this he comes running out of his shop, reverses his tuk tuk back into the spot in front of my shop and yells some obscenities (in Thai) into my restaurant and stares me down then walks back to his shop. Damn, I was this || close to getting into it with him.... If only we were in America.... so I just left it there... I guess I would MUCH rather a tuk tuk out there than a bus.

Still thinking of painting the curb red and white there... Its only about 10 or 15 feet. I cant imagine that they track this kind of stuff such as where curbs are painted in city hall or anything... And then about a week after I paint it and hes still parking there I will have a much stronger case with the police when I call them again... What do you guys think?

And then about a week after I paint it and hes still parking there I will have a much stronger case with the police when I call them again... What do you guys think?

Stronger case after you illegally paint a "no parking" zone? Uh....ok.

Try my suggestion I make before. You pitted against a local will never work. Put this guy in a position to disrespect the local cop. Then you have a chance.

By the way, what is the name of this restaurant?

• Like 1

Ok, so new developments, he hasnt parked his bus outside in about a week... He has now started parking his tuk tuks (3 of them) right in front of my restaurant and leaving them there 24/7... 1 or 2 of them will be gone occasionally, but there is ALWAYS one there in the spot (again, its just 1 open spot in front of my restaurant, red to the left and right of it). Yesterday at 5 pm there was only 1 tuk tuk outside, and it was time for me to open, so I went out and pushed his tuk tuk down the road in front of the fence i was talking about in a recent post (about 100 yards of open parking not blocking anything but a wooden fence). Anyways, about 5 minutes after I did this he comes running out of his shop, reverses his tuk tuk back into the spot in front of my shop and yells some obscenities (in Thai) into my restaurant and stares me down then walks back to his shop. dam_n, I was this || close to getting into it with him.... If only we were in America.... so I just left it there... I guess I would MUCH rather a tuk tuk out there than a bus.

Still thinking of painting the curb red and white there... Its only about 10 or 15 feet. I cant imagine that they track this kind of stuff such as where curbs are painted in city hall or anything... And then about a week after I paint it and hes still parking there I will have a much stronger case with the police when I call them again... What do you guys think?

Tuk Tuk's are much better than a bus - people can see your restaurant now...

A suggestion: If you haven't broken down all barriers of polite communication with this guy already... Tell him that if he lets you paint his Tuk Tuk's advertising your Restaurant, then you have no problem with him parking them in front of the restaurant. You could even offer his drivers a small bonus for recommending and bringing guests to your restaurant...

Ok, so new developments, he hasnt parked his bus outside in about a week... He has now started parking his tuk tuks (3 of them) right in front of my restaurant and leaving them there 24/7... 1 or 2 of them will be gone occasionally, but there is ALWAYS one there in the spot (again, its just 1 open spot in front of my restaurant, red to the left and right of it). Yesterday at 5 pm there was only 1 tuk tuk outside, and it was time for me to open, so I went out and pushed his tuk tuk down the road in front of the fence i was talking about in a recent post (about 100 yards of open parking not blocking anything but a wooden fence). Anyways, about 5 minutes after I did this he comes running out of his shop, reverses his tuk tuk back into the spot in front of my shop and yells some obscenities (in Thai) into my restaurant and stares me down then walks back to his shop. dam_n, I was this || close to getting into it with him.... If only we were in America.... so I just left it there... I guess I would MUCH rather a tuk tuk out there than a bus.

Painting it red and white is not going to stop him from parking there, furthermore if you call police and someone tells it was you who painted it, you might find yourself in some serious trouble.

Since you do not want to listen to previous advices, why do not you get a big sign and put it outside, something like "OPEN NOW" or Menu or Parking in the rear. Can leave it there all the time, make it wide and tall

Here's what I think:

I would not mess with tuk tuk drivers or anyone who owns tuk tuk's.

I would not paint the curb.

It sounds like you are escalating this into what could become a serious problem. It also sounds like you may have to learn the hard way. Good luck

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 1

So, hes parked out there right now, I read the sign again, its actually no parking from 1500-1800... So hes illegal as of 2 minutes ago. Previous times when calling the police at this time they have come after about 30 minutes and just asked him to move his vehicle, which he does for about 5 minutes... Police refuse to write him a parking ticket.

One thing I have thought of... Not sure if I can get in trouble for this or if the city even keeps track... But in the middle of the night just painting the curb red and white... There is red and white directly to the left and right of this one open spot, so it wouldnt look unnatural.

Another thing, I dont use this spot for customer parking, I actually am lucky enough to have a small parking lot behind my restaurant (extremely rare in CM). I have my employees park their scooters there in the evening (well before this guy started parking here) to encourage others to park scooters here.

hahaha Forget painting the curbs. Thais are clearly colorblind. How many do you see stop when the light turns red? Answer, none. How many cross the double yellow lines to pass slower cars going 100 mph? Answer: All of them. Even cement trucks, vans and busses.

My suggestion is to ask the guy to park it on the sidewalk. That should solve the problem.

I liked the suggestion one guy gave to buy him a bottle of whiskey. The Thai way is bribery. Common sense is the Western way.

Here is a question for all . Since this guy is allowed to park on the street during legal hours why is it that I have to pay to park my bike on some streets? These vendors come out and hassle you to pay them for the privelage of parking on the public street. Tesco charges you to park your motorbike in front of the store. I was thinking of blockading some major intersection and charging a fee to pass. I wonder how many Thais would pay me? LOL

Tuk Tuk's are much better than a bus - people can see your restaurant now...

A suggestion: If you haven't broken down all barriers of polite communication with this guy already... Tell him that if he lets you paint his Tuk Tuk's advertising your Restaurant, then you have no problem with him parking them in front of the restaurant. You could even offer his drivers a small bonus for recommending and bringing guests to your restaurant...

Better yet. Hire the tuk tuk driver to put a sign on his tuk tuk of your restaurant and have him park it in front of a Thai restaurant owner down the block. Problem solved. They will probably hack each other to death.

Edited by SCARLETIBIS1

Who owns the public beaches?

Business often appropriate the land in front of their shop. I hate that too.

Again the issue is that according to the OP the driver is leaving his bus parked illegally overnight. The OP has no issue with the bus being their during legal hours as it does not affect his business and by all respects seems to be a reasonably minded person.

and Sorry Ray ray, I don't believe you one bit that you got physically beat up for telling someone not to use small pieces of paper during a test.

I also don't believe the anecdotal murder story of Kraitai boy.

Call me a skeptic but I don't believe hearsay or unsubstantiated stories full of fear propaganda.

It's ok if you don't believe me, I got no evidence left.

But fear and propaganda?

I don't fear the people of this country, but It's smarter not to create or escalate any problems and that goes the same to any country you live in.

I'm an expat in Thailand for almost 9 years, If I had fear of this place I'd leave and never come back.

In addition, my comment was not misleading. Believe it or not, I did get beat up for saying cheating on exams aren't good.

Hardly any common sense exist in this country and if you disagree, you're haven't been here long enough to realize.

My advice is not out of fear, it's called being smart. Say the guy wrecked the stupid bus. The owner of the bus is going to know and who knows, he might have a gun maybe not. He might have a group of friend who does. I was lucky I wasn't shot.

The internet, and even from this forum, you can't learn what it REALLY is until you go through it.

The creator of this thread clearly knows the legal time allowed and not allowed to park. He stated it himself.

out of curiosity did you say that to one person in front of the entire class?

I said in a FB group which include some 200 students, which is everyone in the faculty of that year.

I was stupid not minding my own business but i was straight A's and seeing others get A's by cheating,,,I just couldn't agree with that. So out of my stupidity at the time, I did what I did it and got jumped. But I don't regret it I just got even more confident these people where stupid and made it a lesson to not other them. :)