List of Yellow book benefits

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally it just makes Thai companies and govt agencies more comfortable in dealing with a farang since a Thai govt agency has recognized the farang has a residence in Thailand and issued the house registration document (Yellow Book) to recognize such....probably not a tourist, someone passing through for a few months, etc.

• Like 1

I can't see that it makes a difference. I've had one for a few years now and before, when I mentioned that I had a yellow book, I was told that it didn't make any difference, they said that the service you get is the same! wai.gif

I can't see that it makes a difference. I've had one for a few years now and before, when I mentioned that I had a yellow book, I was told that it didn't make any difference, they said that the service you get is the same! wai.gif

Next time don't wear flip flops eh. whistling.gif ......................laugh.png

I have read these posts about all the hoops you jump through to get one and as yet the ONLY thing that I have ever seen that "appears" to be easier is getting your first driving license and registering a motor vehicle. Both of which can be obtained by getting a Certificate of Residence from Immigration, which only requires a lease or utility bill, a couple of pictures, a copy of your passport face page and visa (or extension of stay) and a small fee

Since I only have to renew my DL once every five years and am probably only going to buy a vehicle on about the same schedule it appears to me that it is not necessary to play that particular game with the Amphur.

For some who report that it is easy to do and doesn't require all that much, more power to you, but at least for me it appears to be an exercise just for bragging rights

And as far as the yellow book showing I am not a tourist, my long stay visa or extension of stay is enough to prove that to government agencies or any Thai companies that care

• Like 2

DudleyPunt, how does it aid putting a bike or car in your own name? If I have a tourist visa, I must go to the immigration same as you, pay the same fee, just you show the yellow book and I show the rental agreement, no difference at all.

This forum is full of misleading information, and it is really hard to get to real facts.

EDIT: OK, maybe you do not need to go to the immigration :) Anyway, not a huge difference, how often do we buy a car :)

Edited by falang07
  • Like 1

OK, there are very slight advantages, but nothing major, i.e. the same can be always achieved even without the yellow book with just a little additional effort (like visiting the immigration for address confirmation, takes only a few minutes).

OK, let me modify the OP's question: Is there anything that can be done with the Yellow Book that is impossible without it? I do not know about anything, am I right?

Yes, you can't get electricity meter in your personal name without a yellow book, unless it concerns a condo in your own name.

Is this book only for house ? Not condo ?

I have one for my condo, also was used for proof of address when lodging Tax return in lue of letter to certify residence from Immigration. Saves messing about and 300Baht fee from Immigration.

BW

Utility bills is the big benefit. In my province you can't get electricity/water/'phone bills in your own name unless you have the yellow book with your name in it. Not too much of an issue if you're renting, but if you buy a place and all the bills are in your Thai partner's name and the partner dies and you don't have a yellow book you potentially have a big problem.

• Like 2

Free health treatment at Government Hospitals,but they have

now stopped this on newer issued books,I was not bothered

about getting one,but the wife pushed me into getting one,

now I am very pleased I did,get to see Doctor every month

and free tablets for Diabetes,blood pressure,I could not

believe it was possible,but have been doing this for the

last year,I was some law that Taskin brought out when he

was PM, and i am very grateful he did.

I don't know how long they can go on doing this as money

must be tight will the huge piles of rice they have and all

the other money that the Government "looses" we will

see.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Hospital. There are a series of numbers in your yellow book top of the first page. four numbers, dash, six numbers, if the six numbers begin with 5 or 6 you are in luck, if it is 0, you are stuffed.

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

OK, let me modify the OP's question: Is there anything that can be done with the Yellow Book that is impossible without it? I do not know about anything, am I right?

Yes, you can't get electricity meter in your personal name without a yellow book, unless it concerns a condo in your own name.

Not true, at least in Hua Hin. I don't have a yellow book and the electric bill is in my name. Actually that is what I use when going to immigration for my retirement extension every year. Also my DTAC post paid account is in my name.

On the very odd occasion that I have been asked about the one way ticket into Thailand I simply point to my 1 year multiple entry visa and that is the end of it.

The last time my wife and I went to a national park they accepted my drivers license to get the Thai rate.

• Like 1

Not true, at least in Hua Hin. I don't have a yellow book and the electric bill is in my name. Actually that is what I use when going to immigration for my retirement extension every year. Also my DTAC post paid account is in my name.

On the very odd occasion that I have been asked about the one way ticket into Thailand I simply point to my 1 year multiple entry visa and that is the end of it.

The last time my wife and I went to a national park they accepted my drivers license to get the Thai rate.

Unless you're talking about a condo the electricity bill will NOT be in your name, but in the name of the owner of the land. Because you use the bill for immigration issues, doesn't mean your name is anywhere on it. I suggest you have your wife reading the name that's on the bill.

Dtac is not a public utility.smile.png

Unless you're talking about a condo the electricity bill will NOT be in your name, but in the name of the owner of the land. Because you use the bill for immigration issues, doesn't mean your name is anywhere on it. I suggest you have your wife reading the name that's on the bill.

Dtac is not a public utility.Posted Image

I'm not talking about a condo, it is a house on property owned by my wife and I don't need my wife to read it to me as my name is in English on the bill.

The one thing i have learned about Thailand is that just because they may not do it in one area does not mean they won't somewhere else.

And I don't appreciate being called a liar......

• Like 1

Dtac is not a public utility.smile.png

I'm not talking about a condo, it is a house on property owned by my wife and I don't need my wife to read it to me as my name is in English on the bill.

The one thing i have learned about Thailand is that just because they may not do it in one area does not mean they won't somewhere else.

And I don't appreciate being called a liar......

You must be the first one in Thailand who has his name printed in English on the bill straight from the PEA.

And I didn't call you a liar, I suggested that you were confused.

Edited by jbrain