TV set open all day?

NCFC

The first person wakes at 6am in our house and the first job of the day is to switch on the TV. It then stays switched on throughout the day until the last person has gone to bed around 11pm. That's around 17 hours a day seven days a week, and for most of that time no one is actually watching it, but it's a background wallpaper of noise, chatter and moving images. They'll walk by the set, glance for a couple of seconds then carry on with what they're doing.

Now I find this behaviour quite annoying. When we were kids we sat down and watched TV and then turned it off when we were doing other things. How is it in your house? Is the TV set open all day long?

If no one is sitting down and watching a programme when I pass by the TV, I'll switch it off. But the next time someone enters the room, on goes the TV again. It's as though they can't live without a constant background of noise.

• Like 2

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as for the tv being on, god forbid.

all my formative years, my mother turned the radio on first thing in the morning and turned it off only when she turned on the dishwasher when she went to bed. it was playing when shee had the stroke that killed her.

i never use my tv at home unless i am watching something that i downloaded, however the first thing i do when i enter a hotel room wherever i travel is turn on the tv for company.

why exactly is it so wrong?

Edited by GirlDrinkDrunk

I prefer having the radio on. That way I can still do the things i want to do and switch to listen when something of interest comes on....With TV you have to give it your full attention all the time

Edited by harrry

The Thais in my house turn the TV on when they want to watch something, then turn it off, as I do. When the grandchild stays over on school holidays she watches cartoons for long periods, which I don't mind but it is mildly annoying, if its still going by afternoon I tell her to go outside and play which she happily does, I guess I should be thankful while that lasts. I imagine as she gets older she will be engrossed with her various devices as all the older kids seem to be. Generally for my wife and I TV watching is more of an evening activity, ho hum for the Thai shows I put up with a fair share, generally they go from bad to worse but a couple I don't mind. Just as a general observation after coming back from a short Aussie stint where I stayed with friends, the TV there was pretty crap too as far as what the female watched and he was limited to watching recorded sports on whichever TV she was not watching. Like me here they had numerous channels to choose from.

the first thing i do when i enter a hotel room wherever i travel is turn on the tv for company.

well that's not wrong, just sad!

Nah, I do that to. Followed by air con on flat out.

Why's that sad? Its just turning a tv on.

the first thing i do when i enter a hotel room wherever i travel is turn on the tv for company.

well that's not wrong, just sad!

Nah, I do that to. Followed by air con on flat out.

Why's that sad? Its just turning a tv on.

it is always good to have some noise in a home , having the telly on gives you this feeling , or radio or music as long as it is something , " my 2 bobs worth "(aussie slang)

They are compared to westerners, just look at their iq levels. It's not their fault but the education system and the TV don't do much to improved their intelligence.

Note to self: Don't forget to download East Enders, Coronation Street & Emerdale (in that order) to develop mind...................coffee1.gif

• Like 2

As a point of clarification TV = Television or Thaivisa?

Nooooo!!!!! 

You'll be giving me nightmares imagining voices of Thaivisa members babbling all day!!!! 

Nooooo!!!!

Please noooo!!!!  Posted Image

There's a thread, if Thai visa had a tv show, who would be the presenters and why?

They are compared to westerners, just look at their iq levels. It's not their fault but the education system and the TV don't do much to improved their intelligence.

Note to self: Don't forget to download East Enders, Coronation Street & Emerdale (in that order) to develop mind...................coffee1.gif

Most of the English Members just download Benny Hill.

Is East Enders still going?

At the Farm everything stopped when Blue Hills started on the radio.

If, as a youngster, I tried to break the verbal silence at that precious time, clip and ears do come to mind.

A tad off topic but I was once told that televisions and computers use very little electricity and don't send your bill thru the roof even if running constantly. Anyone know if this is true?

It's true.

Yes even plasmas now are very energy efficient.

We sometimes having a fight over which programs to watch.

Since I am the man in the house and therefore considered the head of the family I always win in the end and my wife and son bugger upstairs to the master bedroom where another TV is located (cable TV only).

During daytime the TV is only on when somebody is watching something but it tends to be on in the evening entertaining itself sometimes.

Note to self: Don't forget to download East Enders, Coronation Street & Emerdale (in that order) to develop mind...................coffee1.gif alt=coffee1.gif>

Most of the English Members just download Benny Hill.

I often thought it was a shame he never did one of his sketch shows here in Thailand.

Could you imagine the 'chase' scenes shot in Walking Street, Nana or Cowboy? Would have been brilliant..............wink.png

Bit close to home for some mind you...................tongue.png

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 2