Uzbek admits role in woman's death

Lite Beer

Uzbek admits role in woman's death
The Sunday Nation

30212880-01_big.jpg

Uzbek national Sobiyon Sobirov, 23, appears at a police press conference yesterday following his arrest in connection with the alleged murder of his girlfriend.

BANGKOK: -- AN Uzbek man, accused of killing his girlfriend and stuffing her body in a suitcase before disposing of it in Bangkok's Phra Khanong Canal, has admitted involvement in her death and disposing of her body. He was taken yesterday to re-enact the crime.

After hours of interrogation, the 23-year-old Uzbek Sobiyon Sobirov confessed that on August 13, he assaulted his girlfriend of one year, Lyla Nilufar, 24, after she asked for money back from him and scolded his mother.

He claimed he had no intention to kill her and that she fell down the stairs to her death. Deciding to dispose of the body to cover the crime, he bought a suitcase the next day and stuffed her body in it before dumping the bag in the canal.

After the body was discovered in the suitcase at Phra Khanong water pumping station on Thursday, police nabbed the suspect at the Winning Condominium in Pridi Banomyong Soi 40 on Friday.

Bangkok police chief Pol Lt Gen Camronwit Toopgrajank said the case was solved quickly due to a tip-off from a security guard who was trained in the city police's crime watch programme. Police plan to give him a reward later.

Camronwit said police also looked for the taxi driver, who took the man and his suitcase to the canal, to get more details for the prosecution.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-18

I count 10 of the BIB in or trying to get into the picture. If they had only crushed they might have managed another 10.

Do they realise how ridiculous it looks ?

Well at least no one is pointing in this picture...tongue.png

looks like if the photographer had of stepped back a little, he would have got the other 30 in the photo.

• Like 2

I count 10 of the BIB in or trying to get into the picture. If they had only crushed they might have managed another 10.

Well at least no one is pointing in this picture...tongue.png

looks like if the photographer had of stepped back a little, he would have got the other 30 in the photo.

However he has to ensure the most senior there are front and centre and in clear focus. Face is all.

Yep, you astute observers always have such a good time ridiculing the Thai police...the fact that they actually caught this guy in short order really doesn't matter, it's all about the picture.

Of course, in the west, police and district attorneys and public prosecutors would never stoop so low as to do stand-ups in front of news cameras announcing details of a high profile case. They have far more integrity than that.

The fact that they actually arrested the guy"in short order" can largely be attributed to the fact that a security guard at the dwelling place of the Uzbeki man was sharp enough to recognize, from a TV shot, the expensive suitcase used in the disposal of this poor woman.

Had he not come forward to assist, then the astute observers you refer to may well have been correct.

• Like 2

Yep, you astute observers always have such a good time ridiculing the Thai police...the fact that they actually caught this guy in short order really doesn't matter, it's all about the picture.

Of course, in the west, police and district attorneys and public prosecutors would never stoop so low as to do stand-ups in front of news cameras announcing details of a high profile case. They have far more integrity than that.

Didn't you read the bit about them acting on a tip off? Easy peesy?

BTW which of the cops is playing the part of BenTurpin? Or the fat guy?

• Like 1

It is normally a single senior police officer in the west who will give a media conference, normally under duress and we don't like doing it. The trophy catch is definitely not displayed on the table and we don't invite the entire police force around for a photo opportunity.

The Thai police diminish their good work with their self centred ego trips and the way they pat themselves on the back and stand before their adoring fans saying look at me aren't I just wonderful. In the west the police do not publically humiliate a suspect (that is all they are at this time) for their own self gratification.

Agree with what you say Chooka, but sometimes, just sometimes, it's good to see a suspect treated in this way. A certain fraudster from Pattaya springs to mind.

My step son had been in the Navy all of two weeks when he returned home on a weeks leave. He was sporting three medals already. After service in the Korean conflict, Suez, the Malayan emergency, and involvement in repelling the Indonesian invasion of Malaysian territory, I collected two campaign medals from the UK Government, one from the UN and one from the Malaysian Government. When I asked the lad what were the medals in recognition for, he said that he didn't know. Maybe one was for not having a laundry problem the first time a Petty Officer shouted at him?

One could well imagine that some of the medals that RTP sport are for proficiency in collecting tea money, appearing in a certain number of photographs pointing at a suspect, wearing the tightest uniform or helping to create yet another traffic jam. No doubt others can add to this list.

• Like 2

...the foreigner is their trophy.....

...why does the 'did not mean to kill her' plea NOT stand for foreigners......???

Edited by SOTIRIOS

The 10 BIB on evening shift were too busy for the photo shooting while taking tea money from all other high end Russian tourists...