German tourist beaten-up by angry bike driver in Central Pattaya

webfact

Perhaps his bad manners and lack of respect for Thai culture (face) led the driver to believe he was an American?giggle.gif

Or an Englishman, or an Israeli or a drunk Australian or a Russian or a German or a Frenchman or a Gyppo...

Great bit of banter - shame it has no basis in truth...

Which incredibly polite country do you come from?

Edited by Globeman

What with a German being duffed up by kids In Phuket and this. Well perhaps the hermans need to get a bit street wise.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Like the American that got killed by a taxi driver in BKK?

Simple solution, check both directions before crossing the street. Tourists from Europe and North America please remember

they drive on the other side of the road here. Don't check and cross at the same time as you would at home. You will probably

check in the wrong direction. For Australians visiting Canada this is the biggest cause of accidents for them. No use getting

upset with the driver for missing you, thank him for your stupidity not putting both of you in hospital.

Pedestrians do this "I own the street thing everywhere." Its ridiculous. Giving the finger is common in Sydney in Australia. I have seen a guy go apoplectic with road rage over nothing at all. Pedestrians waving there hands at you when you nearly hit or miss them because they walk out quickly onto pedestrian crossings out of the dark, expect you to see everything.

It does not make sense at all to me.

They see a pedestrian crossing and lose all sense of perspective. "I am in the right. Slow down, you've got to stop no matter what!!"

A pedestrian crossing is "supposed" to give you right of way.

I don't use them. I wait until its safe everywhere.

People have a few drinks and even play a type of chicken game with the traffic like "I'm not scared of you." I'm walking on the road

and you'll slow down.

Well they sometimes get what's coming to them. One way or the other.

Some people seem to view life in Thailand through special Aryan colored eye glasses that filter out reality and produce only mental images that suit their prejudices (fed by all the rants on TV that are accepted as fact).

clap2.gifthumbsup.gif

Road Rage .....Pattaya style

coffee1.gifclap2.gif

If a Farang jumped off his bike and assaulted a Thai, the Farang would be in jail before you could say 'Oops!' I hope they find the Thai and do the right thing by charging him. Oops, see that pig fly by? ..............

And Thais never get arrested and put in jail. The cells are just awash with innocent farang.

Some people seem to view life in Thailand through special Aryan colored eye glasses that filter out reality and produce only mental images that suit their prejudices (fed by all the rants on TV that are accepted as fact).

Some of us have managed to stay in Thailand for many years without feeling compelled to give anyone, least of all a motorbike taxi driver, the finger or to yell abuse at anyone in the streets. With a little (sober) common sense the vast majority of people who come to Thailand seem to be able to negotiate the streets without throwing hissy fits at anyone. Others walk about (or sit at their computers) with a chip on their shoulders looking for any reason to feel that their alleged innate superiority is being challenged (AKA losing face).

Yes Veronica, Thais get arrested and put in jail, sometimes for a very long time. And yes, a lot of farang manage to act like idiots without ever being put in jail no matter how fast you can say "oops." If a 51 year old chooses to insult someone much younger than he is, the disparity in their ages can't be blamed on the younger man. Look both ways before crossing the street, as your mother probably told you, and life become a great deal less complicated.

Losing face (or the more popular spelling here: "loosing face") is a bigger problem for a lot of farangs than they're willing to admit, especially those who haven't much face to begin with.

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif clicking the like button for such a good post, not enoughtongue.png

If your gonna get angry at every bike that nearly hits you while crossing the road, you will be angry all the time, they have a very arrogant way of driving, one has to remember, pedestrians have to give way here,even at traffic lights, when you have the right of way, they will not stop unless absolutely necessary, you are an obstacle in their way to no where....coffee1.gif

Good solid advice. A lot of them, especially the ones who stop to argue, will have guns or knives, and they also have ten friends at the other end of a mobile phone. Better to let it go.