Racism..

ThamNamThalu

I will tell you exactly what I mean by a bit of leeway, Having to do 90 day reporting annually should be enough, the hassle they put you through to get a marriage visa, different Immigration offices making up their own rules, some allow this,some do not, etc etc etc.

And you see fit to attach trivial BS like the hoops one has to jump through to get a marriage visa to a discussion about racism??

Those are the rules; get over it.

You sound like a very nice person to know. Why don't you try and be a little bit more civil? You sound like a Yorkshire man.

I am a very nice person to know and I am being civil but you are suggesting that because, in your opinion, expats make such a tangible, positive contribution to the country laugh.png , we should be more or less allowed the run of the land with nothing more than a 90 day reporting email to immigration.

Get real because neither you nor I are really that important.

The sooner you accept that, the happier you'll be.

I have never seen overt racism in Thailand concerning black Europeans or black Americans, but then again, I only socialize with two African Americans here in Thailand, so my sample is pretty small. However, I live and work with Thais, and I have heard and seen overt racism against Arabs, Indians, and black Africans.

Having said that, I think a half white/half black child will experience racism in most countries, so I am not sure how different it would be here.

I have never seen overt racism in Thailand concerning black Europeans or black Americans, but then again, I only socialize with two African Americans here in Thailand, so my sample is pretty small. However, I live and work with Thais, and I have heard and seen overt racism against Arabs, Indians, and black Africans.

Having said that, I think a half white/half black child will experience racism in most countries, so I am not sure how different it would be here.

funny how these americans think that "most countries" consist of USA full stop.

brasil is probably the least racist and most diverse country i have been to. but that said just about every country has a population group that cops a beating so to speak. if you dont look like the locals then you could probably be assessed as that group. for instance i have been consensually publicly assessed (albeit briefly) as pakistani in banglasdesh. and as roma in slovakia. as ossama bin laden by police in tanzinia. as vietnamese in cambodia. these being not being favorable assessments in the respective countries. ive got blue-green eyes and am of european descent but permanent suntan from living in the tropic.

Edited by jointedNose

brasil is probably the least racist and most diverse country i have been to.

And, pray tell, where in my post did I infer that I was writing about the USA alone? I hold that in most countries, a mixed-race child would in fact be subject to a degree of racism, In my travels in Africa, many such children are in fact subject to racism. In Vietnam, mixed Asian/Black children have faced it. Ditto Europe and the US.

Brazil does tend to be more accepting than most countries, although racism has resulted in riots and attacks in Sao Paulo. But even given its more accepting culture, how does that invalidate my statement? And how do you presume to infer that I think the most countries consist of the USA?

Of course there's discrimination, but I wouldn't let it put you off. The majority of Thais will ultimately judge you on how you behave. If you're a good person, they'll treat you that way. But put one foot out of line, and your actions will quickly confirm their prejudices.

Thailand is one of the few countries where it is legal to discriminate based on race, gender, nationality or religion. It's perfectly acceptable to specify 'no Indians' when looking for a housemate, 'must be under 30' when advertising a job, or 'no foreigners' for this, that and the other. It's just how it is and people don't seem to cause a flap over it.

It is not legal to discriminate based on race, gender, nationality or religion & is clearly documented in the Thai Constitution, relevant wording below. As usual it is an enforcement issue and Thailand has not signed off many of the relevant international conventions and labour laws.

Section 30.

All persons are equal before the law and shall enjoy equal protection under the law.

Men and women shall enjoy equal rights.

Unjust discrimination against a person on the grounds of the difference in origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic or social standing, religious belief, education or constitutionally political view, shall not be permitted.

Most black non Africans I met in Thailand, were mostly in entertainment or teaching, when you are in business or an executive officer of a business, you get more regard even if you came from Liberia.

I had more Caucasian friends than black ones in Bangkok. I never felt discriminated against, except in restaurants and bars (non sleazy ones) when I am always the one tat gets presented with the bill.

• Like 2

I will tell you exactly what I mean by a bit of leeway, Having to do 90 day reporting annually should be enough, the hassle they put you through to get a marriage visa, different Immigration offices making up their own rules, some allow this,some do not, etc etc etc.

And you see fit to attach trivial BS like the hoops one has to jump through to get a marriage visa to a discussion about racism??

Those are the rules; get over it.

You sound like a very nice person to know. Why don't you try and be a little bit more civil? You sound like a Yorkshire man.

I am a very nice person to know and I am being civil but you are suggesting that because, in your opinion, expats make such a tangible, positive contribution to the country laugh.png , we should be more or less allowed the run of the land with nothing more than a 90 day reporting email to immigration.

Ok fair enough, but expats do make a big contribution to this country, and we are important, if only for our money.

brasil is probably the least racist and most diverse country i have been to.

And, pray tell, where in my post did I infer that I was writing about the USA alone? I hold that in most countries, a mixed-race child would in fact be subject to a degree of racism, In my travels in Africa, many such children are in fact subject to racism. In Vietnam, mixed Asian/Black children have faced it. Ditto Europe and the US.

Brazil does tend to be more accepting than most countries, although racism has resulted in riots and attacks in Sao Paulo. But even given its more accepting culture, how does that invalidate my statement? And how do you presume to infer that I think the most countries consist of the USA?

i hold that in MOST countries most people would even know that the person was of "mixed race". ive edit my initial post to add more info.

Edited by jointedNose

Ok fair enough, but expats do make a big contribution to this country, and we are important, if only for our money.

No, tourists make a big contribution to the the country.

Many expats here are retired - hardly considered premium consumers and the retiree taking on a single mother and her illegitimate kids doesn't really count.

The truth is that for every expat with a nice lump of dosh, there's a hundred living on the bones of their arse just one medical issue or emergency away from total destitution.

The Thais, quite rightly, don't see us as important because we don't have a vote or even a voice and nor should we - most of us can't or won't speak the lingo and don't intend to.

Still, there is a mechanism in place for those who want to have a voice, a vote and no visa runs; it's called Thai citizenship.

Behave HS, that's patent nonsense. That meeball article states that there are between 300-400 thousand retirees in this country, your contention would have it that only 3-4000 are financially stable.

Garbage.

Edited by theblether

Dunno what article you're referring to - never read it.

The ratio I quoted wasn't empirical - just used it for effect - but the point is that many expats are living on meagre pension provisions or on dwindling savings that are being or have been ravaged by exchange rates.

cant see where it says looking for a wife. as opposed to husband. only assumption still too on the OPs colour. perhaps you have checked the OPs other post? but my guess is black female, second guess is black male, third guess is white female . in all guesses my best bet option for what is presumably required is brasil although thailand is nowhere near the bottom of the list when it comes to best choices.

oh yes and i dont concede that there were race riots in sao paulo, more of the establishment versus alternate groups of varying race and drug usage.

Edited by jointedNose

cant see where it says looking for a wife. as opposed to husband. only assumption still too on the OPs colour. perhaps you have checked the OPs other post? but my guess is black female, second guess is black male, third guess is white female .

Fair point, so let's adjust for the fact that the OP may be female.

It will be well nigh miraculous if she can find a decent, financially independent Thai guy prepared to bring up her child. They won't take on Thai women with children, why would they take up with her? If she is looking at the potential farang dating scene here, she's in for a shock.

It would also be handy if people would give us a clue in their OP's so that we can advise accordingly. We all know there's a big difference in the experience of farang women here and farang men.

• Like 1

Unfortunately there is a ton of racism in Thailand. For whatever reason, a bunch of dudes on here who speak very little Thai are in full denial about this even despite that when these topics come up you will have people coming into the topic saying "I work for a fancy international school and I am in charge of the hiring and they won't allow me to hire anyone black because it would upset the parents". And apparently these guys also have missed all the white skin product commercials/marketing.

Not wanting your child to be taught by a Black American, Black European seems like the definition of racism but I will wait for Kiko to explain why it is not.

• Like 1

Agree with you as I have a couple of African-American friends here in Thailand and have never seen any sort of overt racism towards them or their families (they're all married to Thais). As I've said, it's much worse in the west and the US. Here's an example of something you'd never see in Thailand:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/15/pa-family-receives-racist-notes-for-previous-two-years/?intcmp=obnetwork