Extending Non Immigrant B visa - UK passport

Is it possible to get a non-immigrant B visa (valid for three months, obtained in the UK) extended? if so, by how long? and how? Potential employer not getting the docs ready to apply for my WP on time and so I want to make sure I keep the Non immigrant B valid fpr a little longer to get the rest of the paperwork done. If that fails (hope not!), would it be ok to switch to a tourist visa and get another non- B later once a job is confirmed. Would this switch be frowned upon by the authorities? Thanks very much for your help and advice.

It appears you do not have any valid reason to extend so 7 days would be all you can obtain. No issue leaving for a tourist visa or visa exempt entry until you can obtain paperwork to apply for work permit - once that application is made you should have enough paperwork to obtain a new non immigrant B visa from a local Consulate.

It appears you do not have any valid reason to extend so 7 days would be all you can obtain. No issue leaving for a tourist visa or visa exempt entry until you can obtain paperwork to apply for work permit - once that application is made you should have enough paperwork to obtain a new non immigrant B visa from a local Consulate.

Thanks Lopburi. I am surprised you cannot a longer extension esp as one get one month extension on a tourist visa. Valid reason would be to wait for the paper work for the WP. Would that not do? Please explain what you mean by visa exempt entry. Thanks

Thanks Lopburi. I am surprised you cannot a longer extension esp as one get one month extension on a tourist visa. Valid reason would be to wait for the paper work for the WP. Would that not do? Please explain what you mean by visa exempt entry. Thanks

7 days (one off only) is the max temporary extension on a non 'B' stamp - you just need to show a ticket out of Thailand (could be a bus), waiting for a WP is not a valid pretext and in fact most Labour Depts would not issue a WP against this 7 day extension category.

Visa Exempt, is an entry with no visa. - 15 day stamp at a land border - 30 day stamp for an air arrival - not available for all nationalities; note that some airlines will not carry you without a valid visa.

Once your prospective employer gets the documents together you won't have your work permit yet. That will enable him to apply for your work permit and it will be another few weeks or months until the work permit is ready to be picked up.

Application for the work permit can be made while you are in Thailand on a tourist visa, so go and get that. It is later, to pick up the work permit, that you will need to be in Thailand on a non-B visa, which you can go and apply for with the receipt for the work permit application plus a stack of documents from your employer.

Once your prospective employer gets the documents together you won't have your work permit yet. That will enable him to apply for your work permit and it will be another few weeks or months until the work permit is ready to be picked up.

Application for the work permit can be made while you are in Thailand on a tourist visa, so go and get that. It is later, to pick up the work permit, that you will need to be in Thailand on a non-B visa, which you can go and apply for with the receipt for the work permit application plus a stack of documents from your employer.

Thanks Maestro! I was told previously that I had to leave the country to get a non imm B and then come back to Thailand to apply for WP hence getting it in the UK (although didn't go just for that). Was I advised wrong by the lawyer. Would be good to know so I know who to avoid next time! What you're saying is I can apply for the WP on a tourist visa and use the receipt to apply for Non Immigrant B. at that point, will I have to apply for Non Imm B in Thailand or must I return to the UK for this (dreading the cost and verything else)? Will this swicth from non immi b to tourist and back to non imm B not cause any problems with Thai authorities?

Mnay thanks

7 days (one off only) is the max temporary extension on a non 'B' stamp - you just need to show a ticket out of Thailand (could be a bus), waiting for a WP is not a valid pretext and in fact most Labour Depts would not issue a WP against this 7 day extension category.

Visa Exempt, is an entry with no visa. - 15 day stamp at a land border - 30 day stamp for an air arrival - not available for all nationalities; note that some airlines will not carry you without a valid visa.

Thanks very much.

Thanks Maestro! I was told previously that I had to leave the country to get a non imm B and then come back to Thailand to apply for WP hence getting it in the UK (although didn't go just for that). Was I advised wrong by the lawyer. Would be good to know so I know who to avoid next time! What you're saying is I can apply for the WP on a tourist visa and use the receipt to apply for Non Immigrant B. at that point, will I have to apply for Non Imm B in Thailand or must I return to the UK for this (dreading the cost and verything else)? Will this swicth from non immi b to tourist and back to non imm B not cause any problems with Thai authorities?

Mnay thanks

sorry forgot to ask; where is the 'best' place for a double entry tourist visa these days?

Vientiane Laos for two entry tourist visa. Single entry and B visa there or any nearby embassy or consulate. No need to go to UK.

Thanks. The question still remains, can I apply for a WP while on a tourist visa as suggested by Maestro? And this before the non I'm B?

Yes you can apply for work permit with tourist visa entry.

Unless teaching you cannot get a non-b visa without a WP3 work permit application receipt at nearby embassies or consulates.

Edited by ubonjoe

I may have a similar problem - in the past when I had my non immigrant O visa I could get an extension of 60 days based on my children. Would immigration extend the non immigrant B visa by 60 days based on my children whilst the company paperwork is being sorted out ?

thanks

I may have a similar problem - in the past when I had my non immigrant O visa I could get an extension of 60 days based on my children. Would immigration extend the non immigrant B visa by 60 days based on my children whilst the company paperwork is being sorted out ?

thanks

Yes, you may be eligible for this one off 60 day Extension of Permission to Stay, however the Labour Dept in some areas do not accept the 60 day National Police Order 777/2551 2.24 Visiting Thai Spouse or Child as a valid extension basis for issuing a Work Permit and you may thus need to get a new 90 day Single Entry Non Immigrant Category 'B' Visa outside of Thailand before your WP will be issued.

Case 2.24 is not an extension of your non B per se, it is an extension on a new basis and in this case some Labour Depts regard the original Non 'B' Permission Stamp as spent.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

thanks

Yes, you may be eligible for this one off 60 day Extension of Permission to Stay, however the Labour Dept in some areas do not accept the 60 day National Police Order 777/2551 2.24 Visiting Thai Spouse or Child as a valid extension basis for issuing a Work Permit and you may thus need to get a new 90 day Single Entry Non Immigrant Category 'B' Visa outside of Thailand before your WP will be issued.

Case 2.24 is not an extension of your non B per se, it is an extension on a new basis and in this case some Labour Depts regard the original Non 'B' Permission Stamp as spent.

I get on well with Nong Khai immigration and they have issued the 60 day ext several times before on a Non - O (it was easier and less pages used up in my passport rather than going over to Lao).

Assuming I was able to apply for an extension of 60 days at immigration and the labor office was ok with this ie that the original non B was not spent as such; would immigration be able to then issue the full 12 month permit once the work permit had been accepted and I had the receipt - this may be during the 60 day extension; whose knows it's Thai time!!!

BTW the job will be teaching English, letters from MoE are no problem and they will write what I need ( I help them with their English) - However do you or anyone else have any experience etc from the Labor Office in Nong Khai re the above.

I think may be going off topic, if so, I apologise, let me know if I need to start a new thread/subject

many thanks

It should be accepted at any labor office (other than Phuket) because it is an extension of a non immigrant visa entry. Just be sure they show the reason for the extension as marriage when they stamp passport. It would also not hurt to attach copy of marriage certificate to WP application.

If you are making 40k or more you could apply for 1 year extension based upon marriage instead of teaching by showing tax payments and work permit.

Once paperwork is available application can be made but non immigrant visa must be in passport for actual issue of the work permit.

Sent from my i-mobile i-note WIFI3 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Apologies but I think I am getting a little confused here. Just to clarify that I will not be taking a teaching job. The advice I am getting is this: with a tourist visa I can apply for a work permit and once the WP is issued I can then get the Non B Visa. But I don't get the point made above by Lopburi. Which paperwork? and you're also saying I need non B on my passport before the WP? This seems to contradict the previous advice I got about.

Grateful if this could be clarified. Thanks

Once paperwork is available application can be made but non immigrant visa must be in passport for actual issue of the work permit.

Sent from my i-mobile i-note WIFI3 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Apologies but I think I am getting a little confused here.  Just to clarify that I will not be taking a teaching job.  The advice I am getting is this: with a tourist visa I can apply for a work permit and once the WP is issued I can then get the Non B Visa.  But I don't get the point made above by Lopburi.  Which paperwork? and you're also saying I need non B on my passport before the WP?  This seems to contradict the previous advice I got about.

Grateful if this could be clarified.  Thanks

Paperwork to apply for work permit. Only tourist visa needed for this.

Then go out for B visa with WP3 work permit application receipt and other required documents.

Return with B visa and pick up work work permit when it is ready.

A work permit can not be issued until you have a valid non immigrant visa entry. You can apply and with that application paperwork along with the normal paperwork required for non immigrant B visa issue obtain the non immigrant visa and then obtain the work permit. The only difference for those teaching is that often they do not have proof of work permit application to obtain the Consulate issued visa.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A work permit can not be issued until you have a valid non immigrant visa entry. You can apply and with that application paperwork along with the normal paperwork required for non immigrant B visa issue obtain the non immigrant visa and then obtain the work permit. The only difference for those teaching is that often they do not have proof of work permit application to obtain the Consulate issued visa.

I just learned this and I agree. BUT! Some Labour don´t accept your application for work permit if you still are in Thailand. You have to leave Thailand then someone from your company can apply for you. If your lucky you can get the Letter of approval or receipt before but what I got explained to me from Labour and embassy staff in KL is that you have to wait uintil the WP-process is completed( about 7 days) then you can apply for NON-B. First time I deal with this on here so I apologize if I don´t use the 100% correct terms. I know this for a fact because after 1 hour of talking with embassy staff in KL, KL staff calling Labour in Thailand, my accounter (?) and my partner also calling KL they rejected my application and told me the above facts. Now I´m in Singapore waiting to collect my NON-B tomorrow.=)

This was my first NON-B and I´m going to be director for the recently started company.

2 million THB company with 4 staff.

Hope this can help and not confuse.

I´m so greatful to all of you guys that comment and help others on this forum.

Thanks a bunch!

I just learned this and I agree. BUT! Some Labour don´t accept your application for work permit if you still are in Thailand. You have to leave Thailand then someone from your company can apply for you. If your lucky you can get the Letter of approval or receipt before but what I got explained to me from Labour and embassy staff in KL is that you have to wait uintil the WP-process is completed( about 7 days) then you can apply for NON-B. First time I deal with this on here so I apologize if I don´t use the 100% correct terms. I know this for a fact because after 1 hour of talking with embassy staff in KL, KL staff calling Labour in Thailand, my accounter (?) and my partner also calling KL they rejected my application and told me the above facts. Now I´m in Singapore waiting to collect my NON-B tomorrow.=)

This was my first NON-B and I´m going to be director for the recently started company.

2 million THB company with 4 staff.

Hope this can help and not confuse.

I´m so greatful to all of you guys that comment and help others on this forum.

Thanks a bunch!

Some Labour Departments will not accept the WP3 application made by an employer on a prospective employees behalf if they are already in Thailand, but this can be circumvented by using the WP1 application which can be made whilst one is in Thailand.

Scroll down through the Thai text to the English guidance notes in the pdf copies of DOE Forms TT1 (WP1) and TT3 (WP3) attached below and you will see that WP3 is for use by an employer on behalf of an employee who has not yet entered Thailand.

Edited by digitalchromakey