Can a UK Credit Card debt create problem in Thailand on Visa Matters?

I find it peculiar how so many in this forum appear to support this guy not making any attempt to pay his dues and seem to emphasize with his plight. And these are the very same people who blame banks for the world's woes. Doesn't it cross your mind that people who don't pay debts are part of the problem? I have no tolerance for people who make no attempt to pay debts they owe either personal or corporate. Greed is today's greatest failing in our development as a species.

No, I agree with most of the posters on this thread. The banks are mostly responsible for the state the UK (I can only speak for the UK) is in today. They have been stealing money of us ordinary people for years, and awarding millions of pounds to themselves in pensions etc. If you can get money of any banks like the OPs friend is doing, then good luck to him.

• Like 1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" If you can get money of any banks like the OPs friend is doing, then good luck to him"

Great idea !

Steal money then exile oneself !

End up begging from a friend ?

Maybe a very poor idea !

When his guy returns (as he will) to the UK his days of easy credit will for sure be over !whistling.gif

• Like 2

Trying not to be too confrontational, go back and face the music you coward ! You got into the mess, you should sort it out. Thailand could do without people like that...

There are no bigger cowards than the banks they way they have robbed and keep robbing the ordinary people, while the directors keep filling their pockets, and boosting their pension funds at our expense. Good luck to the OPs friend , and I hope he gets away with it.

• Like 1

Trying not to be too confrontational, go back and face the music you coward ! You got into the mess, you should sort it out. Thailand could do without people like that...

There are no bigger cowards than the banks they way they have robbed and keep robbing the ordinary people, while the directors keep filling their pockets, and boosting their pension funds at our expense. Good luck to the OPs friend , and I hope he gets away with it.

I think you will it is against forum rules to post something supporting an illegal activity.

• Like 1

Bank loans,credit cards etc. written off after 6 years. His parents or close relatives might get a few letters asking if they know of his whereabouts.My mate left about 40K in debts in the UK in 1997(personal loans, credit cards, he had no property they could go after) and came to Thailand. He stayed there for 11 years before returning back to the UK. He was able to get credit cards again and also now holds mortgages on 3 properties(yes he got his shit together). About 2 years after he returned to England he did get a letter from a debt collection agency. When he looked into how he should handle this it transpired that (a) As he had not made any payments in the intervening years and (B) more than six years had elapsed, then providing he didn't acknowledge the letter in a way that implied he was responsible for the debt and would start paying it, they couldn't touch him. He was advised to send them a standard legal letter which can be found on any debt support site, and hasn't heard anything since. As people have rightly pointed out this kind of debt is a civil matter. The only exception might be where you take on a credit card and never make any repayments from the outset as opposed to taking one out making a few payments and then defaulting permanently. The former would constitute fraud. Travelman...I admire your loyalty to your friend...you don't find that often now.

Edited by Muso Jikiden
  • Like 1

I think you will it is against forum rules to post something supporting an illegal activity.

If anybody or company does anything against me, and someone does something against them, then I will support it. There are lots of TV posters posted things supporting an "illegal" act of some sort. If you do not wear underpants here in Thailand and I support you, would that be against forum rules? If anyone drives a car with red plates outside his province, will any Thai poster not support it?

" If you can get money of any banks like the OPs friend is doing, then good luck to him"

Great idea !

Steal money then exile oneself !

End up begging from a friend ?

Maybe a very poor idea !

When his guy returns (as he will) to the UK his days of easy credit will for sure be over !whistling.gif

The guy might have no intention of returning to the UK, and if he has any sense, then he won't.

"The guy might have no intention of returning to the UK, and if he has any sense, then he won't."

If that is his intention he just has the small issues do deal with like visas and securing an income without the help of a credit card !

All legally !

Edited by jrtmedic

Yes, and so it should be if it is anything serious, but if someone steals from you and you steal back from them, then it is not serious.

I think you will find it is against forum rules to post something supporting an illegal activity.

Yes, and so it should be if it is anything serious, but if someone steals from you and you steal back from them, then it is not serious.

Oh please ! Don't compound your stupidity by posting further coffee1.gif

Tell your friend not to worry, the US national debt is appx $17 trillion and UK £1.4 trillion.

Seems that a government's philosophy when they have a debt is to borrow more, so maybe he could take a leaf out of their book. wink.png

Dear All

My friend is a good buddy of mine since childhood. And many a times he has helped me in my bad times. I owe that much to him at least. Therefore even saying no by him, I still managed to get his debt clear today by contacting his son. Now he is a free man without any debt. But I will still try to help him getting settled in Thailand. My conscious is clear as when I found that when his wife died a year ago. He was quite disheartened. He got fired from Job as well and he got himself in debt.
So there is a saying " A FRIEND IN NEED IS A FRIEND INDEED"
Thanks all of you for helping me out take a right decision.
Regards and Cheers.
Edited by lopburi3
correct font
  • Like 2

Dear All

My friend is a good buddy of mine since childhood. And many a times he has helped me in my bad times. I owe that much to him at least. Therefore even saying no by him, I still managed to get his debt clear today by contacting his son. Now he is a free man without any debt. But I will still try to help him getting settled in Thailand. My conscious is clear as when I found that when his wife died a year ago. He was quite disheartened. He got fired from Job as well and he got himself in debt.
So there is a saying " A FRIEND IN NEED IS A FRIEND INDEED"
Thanks all of you for helping me out take a right decision.
Regards and Cheers.

What about the insurance money ?

"There are no bigger cowards than the banks they way they have robbed and keep robbing the ordinary people,"

Why have I not been robbed ?

I demand to be robbed ! I am an ordinary people !cheesy.gif

if you have any cash savings, you are being robbed every day that interest rates are lower than inflation. That's how governments redistribute wealth.

I don't advocate running away from debts but there is a fair amount of inaccurate information on this thread. The six year statute limit is not affected by contact from third parties, such as debt collectors, only by the original creditor. Whilst debt collection agencies can still chase a debt after 6 years, they must desist if you write a letter to them, informing them that you do not acknowledge the debt in question and would like them to stop contacting you.

If you never made a single payment on a card, there was a time when you could possibly be prosecuted for fraud, but I believe they changed the law and this is no longer the case - this is the only point on which I am not 100% sure though, the rest is factual for UK citizens.

Edited by inthepink

Tell him to go back, get a job and pay it off £50 a month, whats he going to do spend the rest of his life here? afraid to go back to the UK for a measly £8K, its nothing, certainly not worth going bankrupt over.

Seems to me his head has been turned by the bright lights, he needs to get back to the real world fast IMHO

yes they can find his details if he changes them with other banks, details are held with Experian or Equifax. They can write to him here or even telephone him here, but its unsecured debt so not much they can do. however if he took the money out and did a runner straight away can be deemed as fraud with no intention to pay it back and that's a criminal offence.

"There are no bigger cowards than the banks they way they have robbed and keep robbing the ordinary people,"

Why have I not been robbed ?

I demand to be robbed ! I am an ordinary people !cheesy.gif

if you have any cash savings, you are being robbed every day that interest rates are lower than inflation. That's how governments redistribute wealth.

-snip-

And, we are being forced to save our assets in banks by...??

• Like 2

I find it peculiar how so many in this forum appear to support this guy not making any attempt to pay his dues and seem to emphasize with his plight. And these are the very same people who blame banks for the world's woes. Doesn't it cross your mind that people who don't pay debts are part of the problem? I have no tolerance for people who make no attempt to pay debts they owe either personal or corporate. Greed is today's greatest failing in our development as a species.

I haven't seen anyone emphasizing or condoning him at all. What I see is people like me answering his question - which is the point of the forum, no? Everyone has opinions, not always helpful to wave them around at every opportunity. You also of course have no idea of the views of people here, who have been constructive unlike you, with respect to banks - a point you made up in a vain attempt to bolster your point.