Anyone from singapore planning to migrate?

snake24

If you know about the current situation in singapore it's getting crowded. It's only 2nd to HK as most densely populated place in the world and singapore is a country but HK is not. I am not even sure if they already have 7m ppl in the country but that is the govt's plan to populate the country with that many aliens.

Most ppl live in public housing in singapore called HDB flat. They are rather expensive and everything in singapore is expensive cos of the lack of land space so a vehicle like a car is many times more expensive compared to other countries. To be able to afford and own cars and live in these HDB flats one need to take on loans and once you have those loans well you are enslaved to the system. You would need to join the rat race of endless work to pay off loans and it seems like what ppl in other countries do but possibly on a bigger scale.

Any singaporean here that didn't want that to occur to them and probably just packed up and lives abroad in a SEA country like thailand?

• Like 1

There was a Singaporean posted on here a few months back about his Thailand 'retirement plan'. Although quite serious, he looked like he hadn't really thought it through. Maybe this is a result of the cross-generational myopia that living in the idyllic, perfect, island state creates?

I recall reading an online article about how the Singaporean equivalent of the 'baby boomers' are growing more vocal in their concerns that for all the taxes they paid and their much vaunted Singaporean nose to the grindstone work ethic, now that they are looking towards retirement, they consider they deserve much better than the reality likely to be served up by their government.

Welcome to the real world?

I am sorry if I came across as mocking; nobody knows what life is like in Singapore better than a born-and-bred Singapore resident.

International relocation and the question of best alternative countries to live, work or retire in is a reality that many non-Singaporeans have been wrestling with for decades. Coming late to that party isn't a crime since for the most part, Singapore's quality of life has trumped that of it's near neighbours for decades. So why look outside?

I would have to suggest that Thailand and other southeast Asian neighbours would only disappoint the newbie expat Singaporean unless they were able to handle a significant depreciation in lifestyle. Japan and South Korea may be a better but less local fit? Witness the exodus from Hong Kong prior to the handover to China who (mostly) opted for North America and Vancouver in particular. If Thailand is the best of the local options, then there's no way that Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos would have a dog in the fight. Maybe Indonesia? Myanmar is way too far away in the future and Malaysia... well, that's just silly isn't it?

I would reckon that Perth and the southwest corner of Western Australia would be a great pick but the Australian immigration requirements can be very discriminatory and the bar set very high regards what you are bringing TO the great downundah.

Good question for debate though and it would be good to see other Singaporeans (other than tourists or casual short-term visitors) with a decent level of exposure to living, working or residing in Thailand post their views. I have a couple of married British friends, both long-time Singapore residents that are looking to move elsewhere after almost 50 years combined living there. Their families have grown, graduated and moved out and they realize that although the 'empty nest' syndrome is just as strong as it is in the US and UK., relocation, downsizing (or even upsizing) in Singapore is very difficult economically and practically. They have been on holiday in Chiang Mai but not really sure if the option of a nice, new house in a secure gated community makes up for the much poorer infrastructure and all the other, sometimes ugly baggage in LOS. I guess it's down to expectations really.

• Like 2

I think one of the reasons for leaving singapore is the high cost of living. Let us assume the average singaporean income is 3,000 SGD or slightly higher at 3,500 sgd which would be around 2.7k USD. A typical household would require 2 parents who are working so both would bring in a combined income of 7k sgd assuming both earn the average of 3.5k. This is average income so owning a car and a home in the form of a govt flat HDB would be possible but perhaps trap this family in debt for maybe 30 odd years. A good sum of their money would be in CPF. Their kids would most likely be raised by nannies or maids hired from indonesia or the philippines. Do note that there are many families that raise their kids on a much lower income but these are considered low income or poor families.

One thing about singapore is unless you are rich let us assume a 10k sgd monthly salary it really isn't that good. There isn't any social safety net at all that is why many old ppl have to work. More and more foreigners are taking up jobs squeezing locals out. The IT and banking sector are examples and so are fast food restaurant service type of jobs. Most 7-11s now have foreign indians doing it. Contrast this with thailand where you are able to survive on a much lower income obviously. This is also the reason why many western ppl go to thailand. They can stretch their dollar much much more and it is the same for singapore as it is a very strong currency compared to the other surrounding countries. 1 aussie dollar is around 1.15 SGD since the aussie dollar has been falling.

Singapore is like paradize i suppose if you are rich but then again so is anywhere else in the world. With such a huge population i don't really see the appeal of it. It's true a rich person would be able to live in a nice bunglow in a pte estate far away from the masses but he still needs to share the rd with the rest of them. The malls and the tourist destinations will also be choke full of all sorts of ppl. Really doesn't look good at all.

I think you have to be careful of 'the grass is greener on the other side'

By moving somewhere where the cost of living is not so high it could open up other problems you weren't expecting. For example, some comforts that you take for granted in Singapore might not be availalble or hard to come by in your chosen location, meaning that your standard of living may drop.

Some people are hardy and can accept these differences and adapt, however others might not be so adaptable, which is no slight on their character.. it's just the way it is.

Another thing to think about is that salaries are usually proportional to the cost of living, moving somewhere else for a 'cheaper life' may mean earning less and being no better off in the long run.

totster smile.png

Edited by Totster

I think you have to be careful of 'the grass is greener on the other side'

By moving somewhere where the cost of living is not so high it could open up other problems you weren't expecting. For example, some comforts that you take for granted in Singapore might not be availalble or hard to come by in your chosen location, meaning that your standard of living may drop.

Some people are hardy and can accept these differences and adapt, however others might not be so adaptable, which is no slight on their character.. it's just the way it is.

Another thing to think about is that salaries are usually proportional to the cost of living, moving somewhere else for a 'cheaper life' may mean earning less and being no better off in the long run.

totster smile.png

This is my country, but not my home, I work so hard to buy a HDB, but it does not belongs to me ( a lease from hdb, 99 yrs) I bought a car which does not belong to me ( had to scrap in 10 yrs) a pennyiless singaporean I am.

interesting topic. i am a singaporean who is currently working and living in thailand. and yes, the rising cost of living is indeed valid but it is not an all-compelling reason for one to leave singapore. to be fair, singapore still has better infrastructure and career progression for most people. sadly, most singaporeans like to indulge in self-pity and complain about how tough and bitter their lives are etc. but please give a good thought and think about your next best alternative. relocating to thailand entail many problems like employment, language, and adapting to both lower remuneration and lower cost of living assuming you are employed here. in a nut shell, different set of problems in 2 different countries. unless you really have a solid opportunity in thailand... you're better of staying in singapore as a singaporean.

• Like 1

There was a Singaporean posted on here a few months back about his Thailand 'retirement plan'. Although quite serious, he looked like he hadn't really thought it through. Maybe this is a result of the cross-generational myopia that living in the idyllic, perfect, island state creates?

I recall reading an online article about how the Singaporean equivalent of the 'baby boomers' are growing more vocal in their concerns that for all the taxes they paid and their much vaunted Singaporean nose to the grindstone work ethic, now that they are looking towards retirement, they consider they deserve much better than the reality likely to be served up by their government.

It's due to a self serving govt that creates policies that screw up ordinary singaporeans lives like over population flooding the country with aliens and using taxpayer dollars to pay themselves obscene salaries it still doesn't take away the dignity of the work ethnic of normal singaporeans and the fact that a work ethic is still the biggest factor to success in almost every country in the world.

By and large singapore is still pretty livable compared to its neighbours but who knows what the future holds and with such a highly densely populated country the happiness factor really goes down and not to mention being enslaved to the system with debts and loans which is something young americans are also undergoing.

Was hoping to garner some opinions rather than to hear some mocking commentary on the plight that some singaporeans might be undergoing.

Overall western countries should be the top location of choice for singaporeans and i am sure places like HK would come in 2nd place including china. Thailand probably ranks up there along with HK definitely cos it is so close to singapore and a popular destination for holidays. Places like vietnam and cambodia probably less popular but growing in number.

One thing you are correct is the myopia and probably the mindset in some singaporeans that no where else besides singapore is livable and this creates a percentage of ppl that want to migrate but don't have the will power, the effort and work to see it to fruitation.

I agree with all the sentments above. I lived in Singapore in the 1990's and found it very oppresive. At that time the government gazzette or the Straits Times as it is more commonly referred to was full of news regarding Singaporean citizens who had returned to Singapore realizing the mistake they had made leaving in the first place. Truth be known there is a brain drain in Singaporeans mainly from academics or independant thinkers who want freedom to live not instruction on how to live. I am curious as to how long the Lee dynasty will last. Will Lee Kuan Yew bequeath the country back to its people when he dies? I know the family along with its cohorts have done wonderful things for the country but what about the lives it ruined to maintain power along the way? Jeevaratam a rich man sent to penury through defamation charges and the former opposition leader who spent 37 years in prison because he opposed Lee to name but two. On his release back in the 90's the latter spent a year in House Arrest on Santosa Island.. Goh Chok Tong, the interim PM between Lee Kuan Yew and his now PM son said when asked how could Singapore justify giving him a million dollars salary a year whereas President Bill Clinton got only a third of that he reportedly replied 'pay peanuts and you get monkeys" If you really want to find out what the average Singaporean thinks ask a taxi driver there. They usually very upfront with the criticism.

• Like 1

I am a Singaporean by birth and has witnessed the choked up environment over the last 10 years and left.

I have lived around Asia exploring new places where I can feel comfortable and have found Chiang Mai where I have based myself for the last 6 years

I agree with most points that moving away from Singapore means u must have a high level of adaptability and accept not everything will work clockwork especially in Thailand :-)

I liked Chiang mai for the proximity if anything happens to the parents ...it's an easy hop back home and there is a good international vibe in CM on the amenities and people

I have tried Japan HK China Laos Cambodia and Vietnam and found that CM in general is just a good fit for me

The space around the city makes for good living and if you really miss the crowds and squeezing ...Thai, Nok and AirAsia has so many specials now for an hour flight hop to Bangkok

It's due to a self serving govt that creates policies that screw up ordinary singaporeans lives like over population flooding the country with aliens and using taxpayer dollars to pay themselves obscene salaries it still doesn't take away the dignity of the work ethnic of normal singaporeans and the fact that a work ethic is still the biggest factor to success in almost every country in the world.

By and large singapore is still pretty livable compared to its neighbours but who knows what the future holds and with such a highly densely populated country the happiness factor really goes down and not to mention being enslaved to the system with debts and loans which is something young americans are also undergoing.

Was hoping to garner some opinions rather than to hear some mocking commentary on the plight that some singaporeans might be undergoing.

Overall western countries should be the top location of choice for singaporeans and i am sure places like HK would come in 2nd place including china. Thailand probably ranks up there along with HK definitely cos it is so close to singapore and a popular destination for holidays. Places like vietnam and cambodia probably less popular but growing in number.

One thing you are correct is the myopia and probably the mindset in some singaporeans that no where else besides singapore is livable and this creates a percentage of ppl that want to migrate but don't have the will power, the effort and work to see it to fruitation.

I agree with all the sentments above. I lived in Singapore in the 1990's and found it very oppresive. At that time the government gazzette or the Straits Times as it is more commonly referred to was full of news regarding Singaporean citizens who had returned to Singapore realizing the mistake they had made leaving in the first place. Truth be known there is a brain drain in Singaporeans mainly from academics or independant thinkers who want freedom to live not instruction on how to live. I am curious as to how long the Lee dynasty will last. Will Lee Kuan Yew bequeath the country back to its people when he dies? I know the family along with its cohorts have done wonderful things for the country but what about the lives it ruined to maintain power along the way? Jeevaratam a rich man sent to penury through defamation charges and the former opposition leader who spent 37 years in prison because he opposed Lee to name but two. On his release back in the 90's the latter spent a year in House Arrest on Santosa Island.. Goh Chok Tong, the interim PM between Lee Kuan Yew and his now PM son said when asked how could Singapore justify giving him a million dollars salary a year whereas President Bill Clinton got only a third of that he reportedly replied 'pay peanuts and you get monkeys" If you really want to find out what the average Singaporean thinks ask a taxi driver there. They usually very upfront with the criticism.

I swear i have read comments on the political situation in singapore which frankly is boring cos it is always the same thing repeated ad naseum.

Well i suppose at the end of the day if you are a singaporean you don't have to follow your felllow countrymen like sheep and migrate and stay together. Better to get tips from farang here as to how to stay in thailand.

I been working for the same company for over 10 years and it's based in Singapore but I don't live there as I am working off-shore.

I spoke to many Singaporeans over the years and most all complain about the living costs and not been able to live in a house (owned or rented).

A 1/2 decent sized apartment cost big $ and a condo even more, a typical government ap. cost app. the double of my 9 mill baht house in Thailand.

Many lives in Malaysia but still work in Singapore and plans to retire in Malaysia where they can have a nice house with a garden very cheap compared to Singapore.

Many Singaporeans are stressed out and wants a slower pace of live.

Expats (white) earns an average of 200K US$ per year which have inflated prices of condos big time.

Expats Indians/Pakistanis normally have the low paid jobs and live together typically 8 persons in one room and earns perhaps 400-600S$ per month.

I noticed many very old Singaporeans are still working, moping the floors in the shopping centers or pushing luggage trolley's in the airport none of them smiling which is understandable.

It's without doubt a very good place to live if you are very rich but for the average person not really.

I lived in Singapore for a little over 25 years and moved to Thailand last year. The company I went to work for is publicly listed in Singapore with majority of shares owned by Thai Nationals and Thai Companies but moved office from there to Thailand due to a combination of factors:

1. High cost, our office rent on Shenton Way was S$24,000/month for 4 of us, 2 expats and 2 Singaporeans.

2. Could not get employment passes for our Thai nationals we wanted to move there. Even after appealing, the MOM just said they did not have to give a reason why they would not issue an employment pass.

3. No qualified Singaporeans answered to employment opportunities we had. There were plenty of unqualified Singaporeans interested, but OJT time was not an option we could afford.

Those were the main reasons.

I like Thailand, but I am considering going back to Singapore for a different company.

If you are educated and pursue work in industries that pay well, I don't see how it is any different than Malaysia or Thailand, but everything works well in Singapore for the most part. Sure, you can wait at a bank for 2 or 3 hours before getting to the front of the queue. But same thing in Thailand or anywhere else.

The environment is more anti-foreigner than ever in Singapore but my Singaporean friends don't make me feel unwelcome, and after 25 years there, I have quite a few.

I have mentioned I go back, and if I do, it will be bringing foreign investment into Singapore plus a few expats and I will also employ a good number of Singaporeans. The alternative is Malaysia or Thailand, or even Indonesia. I believe it will work best in Singapore and I don't think the Singaporeans I employ will disagree.

OP, go and give it a try in Thailand. You may be back in Singapore after a time, or you may decide you are happy here. The experience will be good for you.

I lived in Singapore for a little over 25 years and moved to Thailand last year. The company I went to work for is publicly listed in Singapore with majority of shares owned by Thai Nationals and Thai Companies but moved office from there to Thailand due to a combination of factors:

1. High cost, our office rent on Shenton Way was S$24,000/month for 4 of us, 2 expats and 2 Singaporeans.

2. Could not get employment passes for our Thai nationals we wanted to move there. Even after appealing, the MOM just said they did not have to give a reason why they would not issue an employment pass.

3. No qualified Singaporeans answered to employment opportunities we had. There were plenty of unqualified Singaporeans interested, but OJT time was not an option we could afford.

I like Thailand, but I am considering going back to Singapore for a different company.

If you are educated and pursue work in industries that pay well, I don't see how it is any different than Malaysia or Thailand, but everything works well in Singapore for the most part. Sure, you can wait at a bank for 2 or 3 hours before getting to the front of the queue. But same thing in Thailand or anywhere else.

The environment is more anti-foreigner than ever in Singapore but my Singaporean friends don't make me feel unwelcome, and after 25 years there, I have quite a few.

I have mentioned I go back, and if I do, it will be bringing foreign investment into Singapore plus a few expats and I will also employ a good number of Singaporeans. The alternative is Malaysia or Thailand, or even Indonesia. I believe it will work best in Singapore and I don't think the Singaporeans I employ will disagree.

OP, go and give it a try in Thailand. You may be back in Singapore after a time, or you may decide you are happy here. The experience will be good for you.

I am a singaporean born in the 1989, looking at your nick, I assumed that u are 24 too born in the year of snake. I do have intention to move to thailand after my degree to pursure my celta and to start teaching in thailand and in asia.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

singapore is boring and feels like you are living in a strait jacket inside a prison.

was good to get away from the harassment on the streets of asia before, but since that has abated to a large extent, now there just isnt a reason to go there at all. agree that the anti-foreigner sentiment is growing in proportion to the queues, mostly now it is not singaporeans that you are dealing with in singapore for everyday stuff, so you can get that experience elsewhere for half the price. shopping? forget it, the service and ignorance is worse than thailand. banking? in singapore the bank staff get bonuses for each customer they DONT open an account for. its impossible. eating? thai can match anything except the indian curries. supermarkets? see one you seen them all. accomodation? ha ha ha, the price of an aircon room with en-suit in thailand wouldnt even get you a bed in a dorm full of singaporeans citizens in singapore. then too you have to listen to them telling you non stop how good singapore is. rolleyes.gif

Edited by mamba yuck

ok the running water you see in public in singapore will mostly be crystal clear. so you are not accosted by the putrid stench on walking passed every drain opening.

unlike the putrid stench you get from every small black opaque trickle to everything but the largest rivers in thailand. but for all it cleanliness, singapore is the only country in the region where guests staying in the same accommodations as i have had items stolen. not once or twice either. smoking yes singapore has it bad now. mostly thais dont engage this foul habit anywhere near the extent of singaporeans. and sure just dont go there on a chinese cultural holiday, you wont find a place to breathe away from the public incense and assorted paper fire burning rituals.

Edited by mamba yuck

Excellent post, and I like your balanced outlook on the 'grass is always greener' attitude. Two thumbs up.

Excellent post, and I like your balanced outlook on the 'grass is always greener' attitude. Two thumbs up.

Good advice indeed from a long-term Singapore-based expat.

I would assume then that the best advice is the same for pretty much anyone planning a relocation to LOS and that is do not burn you bridges, place all the eggs in one basket, etc.. If one can forgive Thailand it's shabby but mostly functional infrastructure, do come and try it for a spell. If it doesn't quite fit for any reason, then one can always go home and ponder what is exactly wrong with Singapore without comparing it to 'greener pastures'. Every country is unique and it's not all about crystal clear water and putrid stenches. Those are superficial, optional and for the most part free.

to jmccarty wow u are a long term resident of singapore and that is great sure u know everything there is to know about the country but you aren't a local so at the end of the day how should i put it you probably don't have huge ties to singapore. Does your family live in singapore? The thing about getting a perspective from a foreigner or long term resident rather than a true blue citizen is that often these long term residents are able to relocate back to their home countries or somewhere else should situations change in sg. Long term residents often have lived in a number of countries like yourself having lived in singapore and thailand and elsewhere. I assume you are married to a singaporean. Long term residents often settle long term because they have married someone in that country.

Anyway usually the ppl that ask these kinds of questions have not lived sufficiently long term in a foreign country such as myself so i would perhaps need to stay in a few neighbouring countries for weeks to months to see how it feels like.

On top of that it is probably better not to buy a new home or even a car cos most of the time these come with loans and will tie one down. At the end of the day i will definitely need to make the big choice whether to buy a new home in which i have chosen to stay in singapore or to migrate out hopefully being able to withdraw CPF and so on rather than to have bought a home and a car and then decide halfway to sell them off and migrate.

• 7 years later...

On positive note Singapore gives 3 month visa waiver but its boring after in a while and I rather visit Nepal.

In plain English if income limited life is tough.

On 8/25/2013 at 12:47 PM, gzhang said:

interesting topic. i am a singaporean who is currently working and living in thailand. and yes, the rising cost of living is indeed valid but it is not an all-compelling reason for one to leave singapore. to be fair, singapore still has better infrastructure and career progression for most people. sadly, most singaporeans like to indulge in self-pity and complain about how tough and bitter their lives are etc. but please give a good thought and think about your next best alternative. relocating to thailand entail many problems like employment, language, and adapting to both lower remuneration and lower cost of living assuming you are employed here. in a nut shell, different set of problems in 2 different countries. unless you really have a solid opportunity in thailand... you're better of staying in singapore as a singaporean.

are you still in Thailand?

• 3 months later...

After residing and working in Bangkok for some time. I decided to return to Singapore during the pandemic period for good. 

Singapore may be sterile overall but more stable especially for career prospects.

Thailand could be a place to retire instead. Wouldn’t really recommend working there 

• 1 month later...

Interesting that this thread is being resurrected after 8 years of inactivity. Seems little has changed since 2013… Singapore is still crowded, still expensive and still has the simmering anti-foreigner sentiment. 

What has surprised me is that despite Covid lockdowns, work from home and banning tourists, the traffic here is still heavy and you still see plenty of people out and about.

There is a large segment of the population here that has really itchy feet — they just can’t stay home for even one whole day without losing their mind. 

As for Thailand, or anywhere else in SE Asia, I doubt I could have gotten the same career opportunities that I’ve gotten here in SG. I’ve been working at the same Fortune 100 company for the entire 25 years. I believe I’m no worse off career-wise than if I’d remained in the US. It’s hard to say if I’m financially better off, but my material standard of living is lower here because many things are just not as affordable. 

• 6 months later...
On 8/24/2013 at 4:31 PM, NanLaew said:

I am sorry if I came across as mocking; nobody knows what life is like in Singapore better than a born-and-bred Singapore resident.

International relocation and the question of best alternative countries to live, work or retire in is a reality that many non-Singaporeans have been wrestling with for decades. Coming late to that party isn't a crime since for the most part, Singapore's quality of life has trumped that of it's near neighbours for decades. So why look outside?

I would have to suggest that Thailand and other southeast Asian neighbours would only disappoint the newbie expat Singaporean unless they were able to handle a significant depreciation in lifestyle. Japan and South Korea may be a better but less local fit? Witness the exodus from Hong Kong prior to the handover to China who (mostly) opted for North America and Vancouver in particular. If Thailand is the best of the local options, then there's no way that Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos would have a dog in the fight. Maybe Indonesia? Myanmar is way too far away in the future and Malaysia... well, that's just silly isn't it?

I would reckon that Perth and the southwest corner of Western Australia would be a great pick but the Australian immigration requirements can be very discriminatory and the bar set very high regards what you are bringing TO the great downundah.

Good question for debate though and it would be good to see other Singaporeans (other than tourists or casual short-term visitors) with a decent level of exposure to living, working or residing in Thailand post their views. I have a couple of married British friends, both long-time Singapore residents that are looking to move elsewhere after almost 50 years combined living there. Their families have grown, graduated and moved out and they realize that although the 'empty nest' syndrome is just as strong as it is in the US and UK., relocation, downsizing (or even upsizing) in Singapore is very difficult economically and practically. They have been on holiday in Chiang Mai but not really sure if the option of a nice, new house in a secure gated community makes up for the much poorer infrastructure and all the other, sometimes ugly baggage in LOS. I guess it's down to expectations really.

I don't agree that Singaporians would be disappointed with Thailand.

Many Brits, like myself, have come from affluent  areas of the UK and settled very nicely in Thailand.

I have been here nearly 20 years and enjoy the kind of lifestyle Singaporeans  could only dream of in retirement.

Money goes a long way here.

I have visited your wonderful country several times and love it.....but I could not afford to stay there, even a basic hotel room is 100 dollars a night.

Love to visit, but not to live.

Stamford Raffles