Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 years military and 5 medals/ribbons.

National Defense Service Medal

Vietnam Service Medal

Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal

Good Conduct medal

USAF Marksmanship Ribbons - 1 for M1 Carbine and 1 for the M16

Possibly should edit that for non standard fontsmile.png Seriously.....you with a good conduct medal...who were the referees? the pretty ones?

All I won in the RAF was my marksman badge. A pair of small crossed rifles. Couldn't be bothered to sew it on my uniform. Don't know why I didn't get a long service and good conduct medal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was on a 510 bus to Mo Chit a few days back and the female conductress had a nice row of ribbons and parachute wings. Nice touch, a Sgt in my old Regiment just received the MC from HM the Queen for fighting off a Taliban attack despite having most of his leg shot off from RPG shrapnel.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was on a 510 bus to Mo Chit a few days back and the female conductress had a nice row of ribbons and parachute wings. Nice touch, a Sgt in my old Regiment just received the MC from HM the Queen for fighting off a Taliban attack despite having most of his leg shot off from RPG shrapnel.

And what makes you an authority on the merits of the medals the conductress was wearing. You may well find that they were fully earned, Is it that she was female? I take it that if decorations are worn it means that they have been earned. I am sure that if that person did not have the right to wear the medals someone would have done something very quickly. Royal decorations are not something to be disrespected.

I have as much authority as any other Tom, Dick or Harry on this forum. Get off your high horse before you get too dizzy.

It may be nice to remember that the royalty that counts here is not that of England. The Royalty that deserves repect here is that of Thailand and the awards of Thailand are the ones that count.

Edited by harrry

My wife's son had been in the Navy all of three weeks when he arrived home on leave sporting three medals. When I asked them what were they for he didn't know.

Sitting with some US sailors in the China Fleet Club in HK over 50 years ago one of our lads was intrigued by the number of medals one guy had. He asked what 2 or 3 of them were for. He then pointed to one lower down and said "Is this for having the neck to wear all the others?"

The only time I ever wore my medals was for a Senior Officer's Inspection. I never wore the ribbons.

The RN introduced name tags about 1959 but only for working clothes.They were a couple of inches of white tape with one's name stencilled on using black paint and were to be sewn on the left breast about the pocket. I decided not to follow the custom. Only once was i asked where my name tag was and I replied that I didn't see the need to advertise. As the leading hand of the Foc's'le Division everybody on the ship knew full well who I was.

Edited by Bagwan
  • Like 1

My wife's son had been in the Navy all of three weeks when he arrived home on leave sporting three medals. When I asked them what were they for he didn't know.

Sitting with some US sailors in the China Fleet Club in HK over 50 years ago one of our lads was intrigued by the number of medals one guy had. He asked what 2 or 3 of them were for. He then pointed to one lower down and said "Is this for having the neck to wear all the others?"

cheesy.gif

I have as much authority as any other Tom, Dick or Harry on this forum. Get off your high horse before you get too dizzy.

It may be nice to remember that the royalty that counts here is not that of England. The Royalty that deserves repect here is that of Thailand and the awards of Thailand are the ones that count.

You mean like a Thai degree from a university?

I did twenty years service and I've got two ribbons and a nametag.

I did 23 years and ended up with 5 ribbons and the nametag! But even in UK (personally speaking) the value of being given medals demeans the people who actually deserve them. I understand they are issued to determine that an individual attended an 'event' or was issued for a specific 'feat', but for the majority, don't really mean anything. It wasn't as if I volunteered to be in the places I was sent.

I was given the first medal for living at home, being paid additional 'danger' money and getting more time off than I would anywhere else in the service (GSM NI). I was given one for 15 years 'undetected crime'(Long Service); the court is still out on how the <deleted> that happened, and the last one was posted to me 3 months after I had left (NATO medal) for sitting in a 16 x 8 mile box in the Adriatic bored to tears.

When I see 'sportsmen' being given MBE's (or OBE's if they already have an MBE) for something they are being paid to do, this to me deprives someone who really should be credited for his/her actions. Seems that UK has joined the rest of the world for issuing tin.

Certainly don't begrudge people getting them, just prefer not to recognize the majority of them..................wink.png

Chris is so absolutely right. My father fought in the jungles of Bornea & Burma during WWII. Never spoke much about it but was certainly engaged in hand to hand - I believe about half his regiment didn't make it home. He got two campaign medals!!

A school teacher in Thailand gets a chest full - for what?

Polishing

Parachute Wings on the breast of every policeman as well.!

Originally as far as I know this practice was for WWII SAS who deserved VC's but didn't get one.

I served with one guy.

General Petraeus apparently had the greatest array of medals in US Army, including an allegedly fraudulent Combat Infantry one

He is now more in(famous) for his sexual pecadilloes.

I understand that base camp military would beg for a lift to a combat area to qualify for medals, return next day without hearing a shot fired.

Me, I got one green and mauve for 18 months in the Malayan Jungles.

A workmate who was RN during WWII told me that his ship/s turned down the offer of awards from USN,after Fleet actions, as they were so numerous and widely awarded as to be meaningless.

Edited by angrybird

One of the ribbons that I received was a "purple heart". I never could understand why they gave it to me as every time some asked what is was for I would have to tell them it was because I had a piece of metal removed from my ass!

• Like 1

The RN introduced name tags about 1959 but only for working clothes.They were a couple of inches of white tape with one's name stencilled on using black paint and were to be sewn on the left breast about the pocket. I decided not to follow the custom. Only once was i asked where my name tag was and I replied that I didn't see the need to advertise. As the leading hand of the Foc's'le Division everybody on the ship knew full well who I was.

I believe I still have the original name stamp that I was issued with in the RN for the name tags, a thin piece of ply with the individual letters of your initials and surname slid onto it. This was dipped in paint and stamped onto the white tag.

That was 39 years old on the 2nd July this year! Scary!!!

Ahh right. I think of medals from a military point of view, for campaigns during conflict, thats why I couldn't work out how they got theirs.

As do I being a Brit, but if you ever meet an American service person, they have ribbons as well as Campaign Medals. The reasons for some of the ribbons are ................ I shall say no more.

The reality is that medals are issued by different agencies in different country and in some countries the reasons for ribbons is much broader than others.

Another factor, in some countries some medals are specific to a person and some are specific to a unit (military platoon / military company etc.), and in some cases the award is worn forever by anybody in this unit and by new members of that unit. In other cases it's issued only to the current members of that unit who wear it forever including when they are moved to another unit.

Another possibility is that the medals / ribbons indicate the hierarchy within the police / military in a particular country.

In some countries the navy is seen as being higher than the army, etc., but not in every country.

In terms of the army, some countries rank the cavalry above other units, but not in other countries. In some the artillery units are at the top of the order list

In many countries government ministries also have a ranking order.

Medals and ribbons etc., sometimes reflect the above.

Bottom line : case by case / country by country.

Seems they follow the American method and award a ribbon for crossing the road.

Or the UK method of being the son of the Reigning Monarch, Take a look at Prince Charles, loads of them and what has he ever achieved? Absolutely nothing.

Seems to me there was only one real chance to compare the two armies. The British had the biggest navy in the world and the biggest army in the world. They were the military force to be reckoned with. The Brits were the best. They were the best equipped and the best trained. I believe those Americans crossed the road at Yorktown in 1781 and sent the Brits back home. That was the legion of Merit for crossing the road at Yorktown with the beating the bumbling British Oak Leaf Cluster.

I think that answers your question RabC about the ribbon for crossing the road.

Edited by historyprof

I believe I still have the original name stamp that I was issued with in the RN for the name tags, a thin piece of ply with the individual letters of your initials and surname slid onto it. This was dipped in paint and stamped onto the white tag.

That was 39 years old on the 2nd July this year! Scary!!!

I had some explaining to do after an Army holdall stencilled with my no rank & name surfaced at a scene of crime several years after I last saw it! :)

• Like 1

Seems to me there was only one real chance to compare the two armies. The British had the biggest navy in the world and the biggest army in the world. They were the military force to be reckoned with. The Brits were the best. They were the best equipped and the best trained. I believe those Americans crossed the road at Yorktown in 1781 and sent the Brits back home. That was the legion of Merit for crossing the road at Yorktown with the beating the bumbling British Oak Leaf Cluster.

Wonder where the "Americans" originated from ?

Looking at many of their surnames...England and Scotland i.e. "Brits"

Plus they used more troops to put down a Whisky Tax revolt, than served in the war of independence.

Wonder where the "Americans" originated from ?

Looking at many of their surnames...England and Scotland i.e. "Brits"

To clarify the OP was about non military medals. RabC saw an opportunity to belittle the USA military and posted an insult to all soldiers of the USA. Hence my post.

To be fair, during the revolutionary war the British used a large number of German mercenary troops in addition to British regulars also many blacks fought on both sides.

I don't know if I speak for all soldiers but I really don't care about any medals I was awarded. To me a soldier is a soldier and it's a rough life with or without decorations. I respect soldiers, comrads in arms, of any military. If RabC wants to mock them, "up to him."

The word America comes from Amerigo Vespucci or alternatively, it may come from the old German Amalricus.

Edited by historyprof