New AIS 3G ?

luudee

Just got a call from AIS, asking me if I want 3G ...

I already have 3G I told them, but she explained this is a new 3G services, on

the 2100 MHz band. Apparently the current one is on the 900 MHz band.

Anybody has any more insides in to this ? It's a free switch, and she said I can

switch back if I don't like it. She said the new 3G is "faster" ...

This is the web site for the service (she sent me an SMS):

https://aiseservice.ais.co.th/eServiceWeb/

Thanks,

luudee

I initially signed up to their 3g 2100 network (the "new"). The service was unusable at jomtien. Speed was slow as hell. Lots of calls to their call centre, tried different settongs, nothing helped. Switched to their "old" 3g net (900 band) and its working. My impression is that the 3g 2100 net is still work in progress here.

I initially signed up to their 3g 2100 network (the "new"). The service was unusable at jomtien. Speed was slow as hell. Lots of calls to their call centre, tried different settongs, nothing helped. Switched to their "old" 3g net (900 band) and its working. My impression is that the 3g 2100 net is still work in progress here.

This seems odd. As an AIS/2100 customer you should be able to roam onto the legacy AIS/900 MHz GSM and 3G network, when/if you do not have AIS/2100 MHz coverage.

Suspect any number of issues: SIM, plan, provisioning, configuration contributed to your problem(s)? For those considering switching to AIS/2100, either from within AIS or from another service provider, I would suggest getting a new pre-paid AIS/2100 Freedom 3G SIM and trying out a daily or weekly plan. If it works acceptably then port out/in, if you want/need to keep your existing number. From within AIS, any full service shop should be able to port, even to an existing new pre-paid SIM.

Edited by lomatopo

This seems odd. As an AIS/2100 customer you should be able to roam onto the legacy AIS/900 MHz GSM and 3G network, when/if you do not have AIS/2100 MHz coverage.

Suspect any number of issues: SIM, plan, provisioning, configuration contributed to your problem(s)? For those considering switching to AIS/2100, either from within AIS or from another service provider, I would suggest getting a new pre-paid AIS/2100 Freedom 3G SIM and trying out a daily or weekly plan. If it works acceptably then port out/in, if you want/need to keep your existing number. From within AIS, any full service shop should be able to port, even to an existing new pre-paid SIM.

Maybe he's having the same issue I having with DTAC TriNet. Although Trinet uses the 2100Mhz and 850Mhz for 3G and 1800Mhz for Edge, 2100Mhz becomes your "home" network frequency once switched to TriNet even if the 850Mhz signal level is much stronger in your area. Maybe it's the same for AIS.

As long as the 2100Mhz provides enough signal level in your area to make a connection, even a very low signal connection like 1 bar on your phone which is somewhere below -100dbm, your phone will connect to the 2100Mhz frequency. And if the 2100Mhz signal level is really low, like I've been experiencing in my western Bangkok moobaan and immediate area, then the 3G speed can be low....usually about half the speed of a 850Mhz connection. But I realize signal strength is not the whole story...how many people loading down/connected to a particular tower also has a major affect on speed.

I've done enough signal level and speedtesting on my Samsung S4 (and my wife's S4) over in my part of Bangkok and parts of Nakhon Pathom for the last few weeks to determine I'm better off "manually" selecting the DTAC 850Mhz network (shows up as "dtac" once on TriNet...2100Mhz shows up a "DTAC" once on TriNet) which basically means I'm one 850Mhz (3G) and 1800Mhz (Edge) like before I switched to TriNet...not even using 2100Mhz. But with that being said, I have went into areas where the 2100Mhz signal is almost as strong as the 850Mhz...I mean 4 bars strong...around a -60 to -70 dbm...and the 2100Mhz speed is just as good as the 850Mhz speed...unfortunately these were areas I was only briefly passing through.

Location, location, location...your results may (probably will) vary.