Health Min concerned over cell phone effects on physical and mental health

webfact

Public Health Ministry concerned over cell phone effects on health

BANGKOK, 26 August 2013 (NNT) – The Public Health Ministry has expressed its concerns over the overuse of cell phones among Thais, saying it could affect their physical and mental health.

The Public Health Ministry has warned cell phone users of the silent threat that comes from spending too much time on the phone, especially smart phones, which have a widely popular application called “LINE”. He said the application has both negative and positive effects.

Despite its benefit of easing communication, it has a negative impact on users as well, as it could make a person become unsocialized and get into the habit of looking downwards all the time. It could also lead to accidents as users become oblivious of things going on around them.

According to a survey conducted by the National Statistical Office (NSO), 44 million Thais, roughly 70 percent of the country’s population, own cell phones; with Bangkok boasting the highest number of users at 84 percent. The survey was conducted on people over six years of age.

“LINE” is an instant messaging application, which is commonly used to send messages, pictures, video, and audio clips.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-08-26 footer_n.gif

I wonder why this government got so many problems with this merely simple Line app?

Maybe they don't like the fact that it allows free phone calls, thereby not making the already rich phone companies even richer. That just isn't the Thai way.

• Like 2

BANGKOK, 26 August 2013 (NNT) – The Public Health Ministry has expressed its concerns over the overuse of cell phones among Thais, saying it could affect their physical and mental health

It definitely affects their physical health when using a phone whilst driving a car or riding a motorcycle. You know who the culprits are because they're all over the road like a drunken space hopper.

I wonder why this government got so many problems with this merely simple Line app?

indeed it is that part of the report which stands out, use the Line app and you will end up mentally or physically impaired! I dare say they will issue a public ban on the use of Line for health reasons?

Edited by ggold

Just found this looking through todays news :

BANGKOK, 26 August 2013 (NNT)-Finance Minister Kittiratt Na Ranong said during the opening of the 21st IUHPE World Conference on Health Promotion 2013 in Pattaya that as urban development is expanding, there are more factors contributing to the deterioration of our well-being and that, he added, the use of communication technology will improve our lives.

Could the use of communications technology between the 2 ministers be of assistance?

UPDATE:

Officials Warn Of Dangers Associated With 'LINE'
By Khaosod Online

BANGKOK: -- Health officials listed the potential dangers that come with usage of the popular chat application ′LINE′ among youngsters such as road accidents, aggression, and disconnect with the world around them.

Mr. Sorawong Thienthong, Deputy Public Health Minister, expressed his concern that the chat apps like LINE are "double-edged swords", noting that while it gives convenience in communication, the application also has an impact the behaviour of teenagers in both physical and mental health.

Bending down the head, for an instance, is one of the behaviours when using smartphone and may lead to many problems, according to Mr. Sorawong. The effects included lacking in face-to-face talking, living in their own little world, and acting in carelessness which would increase the chances of car accidents, he said.

According to a survey from the National Statistical Office, 44 million people aged over 6 years own smartphones. That number accounts for approximately 70 percent of Thai population and is more likely to increase in the future.

LINE has been used by youngsters to send various forms of communication like texts, voices, photos, stickers and even homework submission to their teachers. LINE can be downloaded for free in Thailand.

Md. Wachira Pengjuntr, the Deputy Director-General of the Department of Mental Health, agreed with Mr. Sorawong′s warning about the hazards of the LINE appilcation.

"Some children use Line every day and that might destroy chances to develop relationship with others and if they use Line too much, the children are more likely to be harsh," Md. Wachira claimed.

Full story; http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM056VXdPVEV3T1E9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-08-26

everybody should know do not take lines while driving , it's ok if you want to end up with a 500 Thb note that has to be surgically removed from your nostrals

also using a telephone is no good it distracts the attention from anything not only traffic . it is a social mayhem those smarts and i-whatsoevers

good to have the possibillity to listen music , watch videos go online when en where-ever but it doesn't mean they have to use them 24/7

Just an interesting spin to further discourage the use of mobile phones and their social media apps. remember to the current government suck apps are unhealthy.

Being as there is so much concern about the masses and their potential health problems let alone the fact that they can't see the politicians ( their betters) face to see just how Hi So they are why don't our politicians give up their mobile phones as an example to the masses?

Just an interesting spin to further discourage the use of mobile phones and their social media apps. remember to the current government suck apps are unhealthy.

Being as there is so much concern about the masses and their potential health problems let alone the fact that they can't see the politicians ( their betters) face to see just how Hi So they are why don't our politicians give up their mobile phones as an example to the masses?

I think its all about ,that they are afraid that large numbers of people can communicate so freely and plot against the machine more easily!

Yep my mental health when some idiot is walking down the stairs on the bts or getting on a train on the bts unable to stop blooming looking at their phone and expects everyone else to wait for them. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

.....or bumping into you when they are walking without looking where they are going.

I can't understand that people abolutely MUST be on Line and Facebook 100% of the time. Some are completely unaware of the world around them.

I use both Facebook and Line on my phone but never when walking and I limit myself to quick messages 3 or 4 times a day.

Thaivisa on the other hand ......

I am more concern about the road safety than the cell phone issue. I wonder if the Ministry of Health will make a statement over that.

I think that with a lot Thai's having their cell phones welded to their ears whilst driivng or riding, it should go hand in hand :)

• Like 1

UPDATE:

Officials Warn Of Dangers Associated With 'LINE'

By Khaosod Online

~snip~

Bending down the head, for an instance, is one of the behaviours when using smartphone and may lead to many problems, according to Mr. Sorawong. The effects included lacking in face-to-face talking, living in their own little world, and acting in carelessness which would increase the chances of car accidents, he said.

~snip~

Full story; http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM056VXdPVEV3T1E9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-08-26

Hmm. Totally remove smart phones from society and I still see no benefit nor change.