Jomtien Beach frightens tourists!

webfact

Jomtien Beach Frightens Tourists!

pdn237.jpg

Tourists are worried and frightened about swimming at the Jomtein beach which has reportedly turned green and has sent out pungent contaminated smell. Water examples have been taken to investigate whether the water contains any toxic substance or not.

PATTAYA – August 28, 2013 [PDN]; at 4.30 pm it was reported that that the beach behind Dor Sha Da Hotel located in Jomtien Beach, Moo 3, Tambon Na Jomtien, Sattahip Chonburi, had turned green and smelly and that they have been dead animals in this beach. The nearby residents took six hours to clean out the dirt that were disturbing the local residents and tourists in that area.

Subsequently, the reporters check the area and found that the beach had actually turned green and gave out a horrible contaminated smell. Bubbles, mosses and oil spills have contaminated the shore area. The contaminated beach runs for 1 km from the Dor Sha Da Hotel, small Sea animals were also found dead in that area.

Full story: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/08/28/jomtein-beach-frightens-tourists/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2013-08-28

• Like 2

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been going to Bangsaray(10-15kms south) for 13 years and all manor of refuse washs up on the shore. I kayak there but never swim as it doesn't really look inviting. I occasionally get rashes up my legs from walking knee deep along the shore.

What would the Pattaya region be without the filth anyhow?

• Like 2

Ok that does it, that is the last time I go swimming in Jomtien beach. I have kept a stiff upper lip as I battled

through the floating trash and plastic bags, but toxins in the water is the last straw.......

I did go swimming in Bang Saray beach a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that there was an oil sheen

in the water, and a slight amount of black oil was washing up on the beach. Not sure if it was from the oil

spill, or bilge discharge from the large amount of fishing vessels anchored off shore. Needless to say

I did not go in the water....So where is a clean place to go swimming ??

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Ok that does it, that is the last time I go swimming in Jomtien beach. I have kept a stiff upper lip as I battled

through the floating trash and plastic bags, but toxins in the water is the last straw.......

I did go swimming in Bang Saray beach a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that there was an oil sheen

in the water, and a slight amount of black oil was washing up on the beach. Not sure if it was from the oil

spill, or bilge discharge from the large amount of fishing vessels anchored off shore. Needless to say

I did not go in the water....So where is a clean place to go swimming ??

For me, the only place with decent beaches and clean water in the area is Koh Larn.

Yesterday, I was at the Ban Amphur Beach and the water was brown and there was a distinct chemical smell to it.

I've been going to Bangsaray(10-15kms south) for 13 years and all manor of refuse washs up on the shore. I kayak there but never swim as it doesn't really look inviting. I occasionally get rashes up my legs from walking knee deep along the shore.

What would the Pattaya region be without the filth anyhow?

Hopefully you don't get toppled into the water by a big wave then.

On top of that the local council has decided in its wisdom to chop down a lot of the lovely trees that lined Jomtien Beach. Don't they realize trees help save the environment and produce O2. I would love to know there reasoning; other than the fact the Mayor is probably making a pocketful of under the table money from the contractors

Jimminey Cricket! I was heading there for my birthday monday. I guess I will just forget about the whole area from Pattaya to Rayong. Now I am looking at Hua Hin, instead. I only have two nights. I don't want colon cancer and brain hemorages from containimation

Probably wise not to light any candles there at the moment.

• Like 1

I dont worry , the TAT will come up with some good reason ..dont frighten the billions tourists expected in the next 4 years ... I havent swim in this area for years (except in hotel pools) 20 years ago I had severe rashes after swimming on jomtien beach ... I gave up swimming in this area as the quality of water always have been bad..

Good idea to use hotel swimming pools - it lessens the chance of being chopped to pieces by those damn speedboat propellers at Jontiem. Two in two years or is it more? But it's still an OK beach for just relaxing under the beach umbrellas - plenty of food & drink available close by and there's more sand than at Pattaya Beach.

Thailand is a nation of +/- 67 Million, plus many millions of tourists. A report one or two years ago stated that something like 70% of the nation's sewage is released to the environment untreated. Water flows downhill. The Gulf of Thailand is surrounded on three sides by Thailand. Add to that the Thai fishing vessels dumping their bilges and trash, PTT and others--and what chance does the Gulf have?

In the early 70's, the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland caught fire twice--awakening the startled US and Ohio governments to the obvious. In 30 years of serious legislation, enforcement and cleanup effort, the toxic situation was turned around--albeit, perhaps not permanently. But I fear in Thailand that if the Gulf were to catch fire, the TAT would advertise it as a tourist attraction!

We live down by Koh Chang, and when you travel by boat past all the small, uninhabited islands, their beaches and high tide lines are strewn with trash and debris. Only the beaches at Resorts that are cleaned daily look nice. But if one walks to any remote beach that is not being cleaned daily--it's frightening. Even some of the resort beaches are frightening. One resort had/has the practice at low tide of carrying all their trash out into the inter-tidal zone, setting it on fire, then letting the high tide come in and wash it all away.

Anyway: Gee... surprise, surprise. I know I'm surprised to read stories like this.

Edited by atsiii

I was frightened by the Russian invasion for a long time , now I have to worry about green monsters hiding in the sea. I really feel that I live on a different planet , maybe its time to move back to planet Earth.

I dont worry , the TAT will come up with some good reason ..dont frighten the billions tourists expected in the next 4 years ... I havent swim in this area for years (except in hotel pools) 20 years ago I had severe rashes after swimming on jomtien beach ... I gave up swimming in this area as the quality of water always have been bad..

I don't think TAT has really seriously considered selling Pattaya as a tourist destination. The main kind of tourist it attracts does not go there primarily for the beaches.

• Like 1