Drivers license requirements for small bikes

luudee

My motorcycle license expired long time ago, but I have a valid car drivers license.

Is the car drivers license enough for small motorcycles (125cc), or will I get in trouble

when they stop me ?

Just being lazy to renew the m/c license :-P

Thanks,

luudee

A car license is as the rest of the world only valid for cars and you will be fined if stopped by the police on your bike.

Easy to get a bike license, can be done is less then a day.

You have to be careful when riding a bike without a license, you will be at fault if involved in an accident and pay for damages to people and property which quickly can be very expensive.

• Like 2

If your bike licence expired more than 3 years ago

It will take more than a day to get a bike licence at the Pattaya DLT ( out near the Regents school ) at the least it will be 2 days if you pass all the tests. Rayong and Sri-racha are supposed to be easier places to do the tests.

The police have been very active lately stopping bikers and checking for licence,registration ,tax,insurance and of course crash helmet,

sometimes they also do drug and alcohol tests w00t.gif

If your bike licence expired more than 3 years ago

It will take more than a day to get a bike licence at the Pattaya DLT ( out near the Regents school ) at the least it will be 2 days if you pass all the tests. Rayong and Sri-racha are supposed to be easier places to do the tests.

The police have been very active lately stopping bikers and checking for licence,registration ,tax,insurance and of course crash helmet,

sometimes they also do drug and alcohol tests w00t.gif

Sorry, completely wrong information!

If your bike license has expired by a significant amount of time, obtaining a new one is the same as obtaining your 1st one year temporary license.

Basically make sure you have your paperwork in order (see the pinned thread on this forum), arrive at the LTO around 8AM, if you have a bike license from your home country you shouldn't have to take the multiple choice theory exam or the practical test, meaning you'll be finished before lunch.

Without a recognised foreign / IDP you will have to take the aforementioned 2 tests, but (as long as you pass the tests) you will still be finished by approx 2PM the same day.

• Like 1

Woody1 Please see my posts on this subject in the pinned thread

here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/633320-requirements-for-obtaining-and-renewing-a-1-year-driving-licence/?p=6465865

and here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/633320-requirements-for-obtaining-and-renewing-a-1-year-driving-licence/?p=6519851

Yes if you have a valid licence from your home country for a motorcycle you can do it in 1 day with just the reaction tests

no theory or practical test required.

But the op says thier motorcycle licence is long expired he/she will have to do all the tests...it will take more than 1 day

unless of course they changed the system again, if thats the case then please do update the pinned thread with your latest findings.

Woody1 Please see my posts on this subject in the pinned thread

here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/633320-requirements-for-obtaining-and-renewing-a-1-year-driving-licence/?p=6465865

and here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/633320-requirements-for-obtaining-and-renewing-a-1-year-driving-licence/?p=6519851

Yes if you have a valid licence from your home country for a motorcycle you can do it in 1 day with just the reaction tests

no theory or practical test required.

But the op says thier motorcycle licence is long expired he/she will have to do all the tests...it will take more than 1 day

unless of course they changed the system again, if thats the case then please do update the pinned thread with your latest findings.

johng, I did both my car and bike tests on 13th February, I do not hold a valid motorcycle license from my home country, but I arived at the LTO as I mentioned just after 8AM (and it was busy, I was in the 4th or 5th group to start the colour / reaction tests) completed the the reaction tests approx 11.30, completed the theory test in approx 20 minutes, went for lunch, hired a moped at 1pm from one of the guys at the, "test track" at the rear, and was out of there with both licenses in hand by 2PM.

I posted the above info at the time, but at the moment don't have time to look for that thread.

well,

i understand all the theories, and rules

but

my reality is:

in the past 12 yrs here all (without exception) police who stopped me accepted my (from EU country, non-international) driving licence for car...moreover they accepted it driving my 110cc scooter as well.

when fined, only for such like wrong turn, going up on flyover with bike, or speeding.

never ever bothered with the licence being non-thai, non-international, or non-bike.

maybe it is only me, but as mentioned, it is my reality as is.

Why the question? You knew the answer long before your posted the question.

or

I am just going to rob a small bank. Will that make it legal?

Why ?

In some European countries it is legal to drive a small m/c without a license (or at least it used to be this way).

Why do you bother posting if you have nothing to contribute ?

Why the question? You knew the answer long before your posted the question.

or

I am just going to rob a small bank. Will that make it legal?

Why ?

In some European countries it is legal to drive a small m/c without a license (or at least it used to be this way).

Why do you bother posting if you have nothing to contribute ?

But here in Thailand you need a Motorcyle license to legally ride.a.motorcycle ..fairly easy concept to understand surely ... your NOT in Europe.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What about producing a UK car licence which I understand allows you to ride motorcycles up to 250cc?

Still cost up to Thb500 to the local franchisee if stopped I guess

When did the UK start letting poeple ride 250's on a car licence ???????????

Last I read was you could ride upto a 50 cc on a car licence if you had held that licence from before a certain cut off date

( 1990s ) from then on all bikes need a bike licence and pass a compulsary training test before even being let on the road.

Edited by johng
  • Like 2

Live is somewhat easier in the sticks. Around here, 10 to 12 year old boys are thundering through densely populated villages at 80 km/h on motorbikes. Do they have a drivers-licence? What do you think?

Absolutely nobody cares, including the police.

Cheers.

• Like 1

well,

but

my reality is:

in the past 12 yrs here all (without exception) police who stopped me accepted my (from EU country, non-international) driving licence for car...moreover they accepted it driving my 110cc scooter as well.

when fined, only for such like wrong turn, going up on flyover with bike, or speeding.

never ever bothered with the licence being non-thai, non-international, or non-bike.

All very good and well, until you have a serious accident with injuries and/or deaths, are in the fault, and you find yourself without any insurance cover due to lack of license.

You risk serious jail time and financial ruin only because of the lack of a relatively easy to obtain license.

Along with the moral issue of maybe not being able to compensate an innocent victim.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Even worse when these ones hit you - and you have a valid license.... sad but true

Live is somewhat easier in the sticks. Around here, 10 to 12 year old boys are thundering through densely populated villages at 80 km/h on motorbikes. Do they have a drivers-licence? What do you think?

Absolutely nobody cares, including the police.

Cheers.

well,

but

my reality is:

Same here.. In Chiang Mai I have been nailed for no helmet on 3-4 occasions... Gave them my Thai drivers license - went to the police station the next day paid the usual fine (they made no mention of it not being valid for motor scooter).... And I was on my way...

The reality in Pattaya / Jomtien is that the police are now much more rigorous in checking for license,registration,tax,helmet more than 2 passengers etc etc than they where a couple of years ago..........

Of course if you like that certain feeling in your stomach when the BIB jump out from around any corner and demand the paper work you don't have...then up to you as they say.

I used an international driving permit(there is no such thing as an international driving license) for years

I never had a problem until last month when a cop noticed it had expired 3 years ago (watch out for na jomtien beach)

It was basically a copy of my Canadian license. and that licesnse was for cars only.

So no, you don't need a special motorcycle license.

Edited by BugJackBaron

I used an international driving permit(there is no such thing as an international driving license) for years

I never had a problem until last month when a cop noticed it had expired 3 years ago (watch out for na jomtien beach)

It was basically a copy of my Canadian license. and that licesnse was for cars only.

So no, you don't need a special motorcycle license.

Not correct, the reason why they accepted your int driving permit on your bike is because that most Thai cops can't read English(they don't want to loose face by letting you know that),

if you are involved in an accident they will check your permit more in depth and you are in the shit and you pay for hospitals/damage to property.

If I was you I would get that Thai license.

• Like 1