British Tourist Arrested For Theft In Pattaya

Rimmer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From one Brit to Another- Hope you get what coming to you. Its no wonder we are hated all over the world.

I think your hated because you tried colonizing the world and telling everyone what to do.. kinda like what america does today.

Or the alternative view - Britain was the world's first policeman, a mantle picked up by the US after WW2. Too world wars protecting freedom had a massive impact on the UK, in monetary, population and talent. The US has paid a heavy price for taking up the role, which it continues to do. Thankless job, as all police roles are.

Do you think any other countries were capable of this?? What is frightening is what will happen if the US relinquishes the role.

Fed up listening to all the PC rewriting of history crap by trendy liberals. Get real.

Get off the Yanks back! Yes from time to time they vote idiots and no-hopers like G Bush and Obama to run their country, but generally their intentions are well meant. With all the "bad eggs" controlling countries around the world today, you cannot expect them to get it right every time but at least they try, which is more than most countries do.

Aussie.

Petty theft like this can also be a psychological problem. Quite frequently people arrested for shoplifting in the UK are not people who are poor or who actually need the items they steal. There have even in the past been some high profile celebs caught. It quite possibly the adrenaline rush of doing something dangerous that causes people who would not ordinarily commit crimes to do so. To a lesser extend we mostly all do this kind of thing - how many of us never break a speed limit or jump a red light just as it changes? There is rarely any "need" for us to do these things, we just follow an instinct to do so.

I have no idea whether this person was stealing because he needed the items or because of some disorder like this but being a tourist in Thailand, given his age and the cost of actually getting there, it would seem pretty unlikely that he is destitute (not impossible but unlikely). Compared to crimes committed against tourists, that we read about all the time on here, this is pretty small stuff. Since it is unlikely that he would have been allowed into Thailand as a visitor without a return ticket then fine him and send him home. If he doesnt have the funds then get the UK embassy to fund his travel home and they can collect it from him when he gets back.

I am astounded by the people on here who want to send someone to jail for such a trivial matter - how would they feel if the next time they broke the speed limit they were thrown into jail for a week?

I do hate these "staged" pictures of people "pointing" to their guilt BEFORE they have been convicted of any crime. It is one thing for the press to photograph someone accused of a crime (though I dont agree even those should be published until someone is convicted) but in my view morally wrong for a police force to create a photograph that is contrived to look like an admission of guilt.

How can people condemn this man before finding the facts! He might be suffering from a mental illness and could not help himself. I once had an elderly auntie who was arrested for shoplifting. She was well respected, married to a successful racehorse trainer, no children having been a secretary all her working life. Their own home with everything she desired. But one day she just walked out of a big store with unpaid goods not knowing that she had done it. She got probation due to mental health problems...................Be considerate, we know that the Thai authorities are only capable of this if paid.