Married to a Thai and want to move to Thailand

This Guy Is 40 Years Old, He Needs to work for a living and the best wages I found are in the Oil companies (Rayong). Most of you are retired here. It Is Not Easy In Thailand. Why compare the prices with the UK the cost of living here will not be the same as UK. #1 the wages in UK, he will never come close to making that here. Automobiles are expensive to buy, auto insurance costs are OK(they just have you wait for months to get repairs). Private schools (international schools) are expensive and getting more expensive. Food and housing are out of control. If you say I don't know what I am talking about , then you are living in a dump of do not have a family to support. Oh, and let us not count the wife's family in the village that he will take care of ... Again He Is only 40 years old...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I am non native English speaker, I do no have a teaching degree but I can teach English if I want "

Not to my child or even my Thai wife! smile.png

Did you check the above sentence for error before posting ?

Some of his other "facts" are a bit dodgy too. Try turning up at immigration with a joint bank account and see how far you get!

Many wrong or negative information here....Sometimes not the right place to ask...

WORK: I live here for more than 2 years, retired and married with a Thai citizen. I am non native English speaker, I do no have a teaching degree but I can teach English if I want because it is a new Thai government project allowing people from any nationality, without any teaching degree or certification, but with good English skills, to teach in public elementary schools.

Salary 10000 thb/month and a work permit. Just go to any government elementary school and ask.

TEACHING CERTIFICATION: You can get a teaching certification if you are from a English speaking country, just taking a 120 hours course in a licensed school. With a teaching certification you can apply for teaching jobs in any school with a big chance to get it, and with salaries over 20000thb/month. Just go to any English Teaching School and ask.

HEALTH INSURANCE: If you are under 60 years old, married with a Thai citizen, with a Thai marriage visa, and you have a work permit, you qualify to have Social Security, that cover medical expenses in public hospitals. Your wife can also get a Social Security if do not have now, just paying a small fee to cover pass years. Just go to the local Social Security office and ask.

VISA: To get a marriage visa if you have the proper marriage documentation, just needs to show an official declaration from your country or embassy stating that you, OR you and your wife together, have an income of more of 40000thb/month OR 400000thb in a Thai bank OR a combination of both like, 20000thb income plus 250000thb in a bank account. Do not ask a private visa service about, just go to the local immigration office and ask.

BANK ACCOUNT: Many Thai banks will tell you that you need a work visa to open an account, but you can do it without in any Bangkok Bank.

HOUSING: Do not buy a house so soon....just rent...and ...you can rent a house on a month to month contract, sometimes even with some furniture. Do not use an Internet service or real estate company to find it. Look in local newspapers, and ask to local people....

CAR: Do not buy or rent a car or motorbike if you cannot get a very good insurance. Deal with the police or a victim of an accident will be trouble, even more if you were at fault. By the way....Good insurance do not exist in Thailand, but..again...ask around. Used cars and motorbikes sometimes are just another bad experience.

Welcome to Thailand!

Keeping a family of four in Thailand on 10000 baht per month. Is this the Thailand on planet Earth or the other place?

I spend almost that amount per month just on food for me and the missis and we certainly are not eating caviar and drinking champagne for lunch.

Realistically for 2 adults with 2 children, if wanting to provide a decent education for the kids at International schools and then further on to University, plus living a quality lifestyle of a reasonable standard, you`re looking at a minimum of 70000 baht per month, perhaps more.

If accepting to live at the extreme of basics, no air con, no Internet, limited use of electricity, eating Thai noodle type meals every day, free bog standard Government education for the children, no social, no booze, no fags and no nothing, it is possible for a family to live on perhaps 15000 baht a month and that`s with hoping there are no serious medical emergencies or problems, you don`t lose your job, the house doesn`t blow down during a hurricane and so on.

Airlines put restriction on pregnant women travelling. If you plan to travel before the baby is born then check with the airlines before booking.

You plan to live around Phayao Chiang Rai. Do not forget that the air quality is poor March to May.

She lived there all her life and there air still beats my city :)

Baby will be born before we go.

Thanks

Why not open a restaurant if you are a chef? First year you need two tax paying employees and 4 thereafter - that is if you work. If you just own the business, then you do not need a work permit. Teaching without a degree is not legit - and will garner very little income (I know many up here in CM that scrape by on 20k a month - a good month - in language schools add to that cost of repeated drives back and forth to the school as it is not usually 9-5, but as and when a lesson is assigned to you).

I love Thailand I have spent 2 weeks every 4 months there for past 7 years. I love village life and her family and friends love me Posted Image

Been to hospital twice and I drive all the time over there so no worries on that.

Thanks for the input every little helps.

I would be careful of comparing two weeks holidays here and there with living here - believe me, it is not the same. Also, it may be advisable to NOT live with your wife's family - as in anywhere near - being a wealthy tourist will make you a popular guest to the in-laws - being a wage beast here will not have the same endearing features (like you will not be able to afford to treat everyone - and little things unnoticed on holidays will quickly become mountains - and Thai families just love to interfere with relationships). My advice, but up to you, taken it or leave it. Village life can also wear very thin after a while.

I know all the family very well and they know I am far from rich and rarely ask for anything. My wife is very clear with them that we are happy to help in emergencies but supporting our own family is priority. In 2 years the only thing we have paid for is a new water pump and her dads medical insurance which is a total of 20000 baht. They are just happy that their daughter is looked after.

I love village life and I know a holiday is not the same as living there but we live like a family when there and as long as I have the Internet which they do then I am sorted.

What kind of expenses would a restaurant cost and would there be a market in the village is the key question.

Do an online TEF course. Best time for new contract is when term starts next year. Check out Ajarn website. Don't buy, rent till you are established. Many Irish are teachers worldwide. good luck

What would that qualification get me in return ?

Thanks

A big decision. I've lived in Northwest Thailand for 3 years. Originally getting a twelve month non-immigrant visa and going out of Thailand via Mai Sai, close to Chiang Rai. You only have to cross the bridge into Burma and walk straight back. Visa stamp in passport from both countries.

I then got a 12 month marriage visa and only now have to go to Mae Hong Son immigration once per year.Every three months I get a visa extension from the little immigration office in my home town. It's not difficult to get the marriage visa, but there's masses of paperwork needed and yes you have to provide proof that you maintain over 400,000 baht in a bank account in your name, not your wifes. Detail of the paperwork required for the visa is not readily available from immigration. You can pay a solicitor, but I am however happy to provide you with a list of all that you require and some tips.

I did buy a house and a nice pick up truck soon after making the move. Property and cars can only be in your wife's name. I would however advise to rent accommodation for a while and if you need transport go for an older well looked after Toyota diesl pick up. Good engines, strong chassis. When you feel that the move is right for you and you both want to stay, then take your time with either land or property.

Getting work is a difficult issue especially if your planning to live in a more rural area. I'm older than you at 63 but still wanted to work a little. Not possible so boredom is a big problem for me. My suggestion would be to try and set your wife up with a job, of her own food outlet or a telephone shop, this is where the money is. However don't get invlolved with the business on an outward facing profile, help your wife by all means in the background. I say this because I'm also in a rural area and the Thai's and Karen people do not give their business to foreigners.

My ontly other comment is that be careful of your wife's family. Whether they be parents, brothers and sisters, aunts, uncles etc. they will try to benefit from your wealth and generosity.

Hope this helps.

Just a note. Sorry your statement that everything must be in your wife's name is not correct. The land yes, but not a car/truck or motorcycle. This can be in your name. Moving your family to Thailand is a big move. Finding work where you plan to move could be very difficult. Staring a business where you plan to live could be an issue too. If you want to open a restaurant you will need to be in a tourist area. Having you wife open a store is a good idea. I set my wife up with her own store several years ago. Cost me about $3000 USD to get it going. She makes between 30-50K per month net. So she does ok not great. I heard allot of guys saying cost of living is expensive, this I dont agree. When we go to the US to visit I spend allot of cash. Living in Thailand is cheap. Our house is paid for so we only have electric, Satellite and internet. Total for all three is about 3000B but never over 5000B. Food my wife buys on the street or gets meat and vegetable at the local market. I would say about 1000-1500B a week. I usually go to Big C every other week to buy things I like that is about 1000-1500B every other week. Fuel my wife spend about 400-500 a month I spend 1000-1500 per week, but that is driving about 30-40km a day going back and forth to my factory. Going out a during the month dinners, movies etc another 5-6K per month. If I didnt work we could live on what she makes. Only you can decide if it is going to work for you and your family. I do suggest as others said, dont build a house. Come here and see how things work out. After 1 year you are happy then decide if you will build a house. Truck/car depends on what you are going to do. You might be able to get by with just a motorcycle. I know allot of guys around me that only have a motorcycle. Just be careful, think things out and don't rush into anything. Just like anything else in life. Good Luck

Stay in your own country for another ten years. Build up your pension and savings and move to Thailand when you have enough to live on without having to work. Life will be much more enjoyable that way.

That was the original plan but with currant stress levels and a shitty economy I may stroke out before then :P

Hi

I would recommend that you consider having you new baby get a Thai citizenship. You will need to contact the embassy in your country and ask what you have to do to get dual citizenship for your new child. It will make it easier if and when you move to Thailand.

God bless and good luck.

Dave B.

Very good bit of advice that I hadn't even thought about.

Nice one thanks

We have just done the opposite to you as in my opinion bringing a child up in Thailand is not a positive.

Some people fall on their feet, most don't, and then some just waste their savings going home bitter.

A language teacher will likely earn around 30k per month which for a family of four.....

Our house hold budget was twice that and I still dipped int money allocated to other areas.

If you have a good job and your wife is working then I would be reluctant to move. My wife is now earning $20 an hour in Australia or about $3200 a month. She is now saving 70-000 - 80-000 a month so is over the moon.

Cost of living is so expensive here that its all the one really. If she works after the baby is born then crèche will cost as much as she earns. A second car for her while I work is mad money and education for kids is crazy money so what's the difference really :)

People are far more friendly in Thailand and we want that family orientated way of life

Yes you can. it is one of those jobs allowed. Many foreign chefs working for example in the famous hotel chains.

The problem is more that at many restaurants the pay will not be that great.

Not great or not worth doing ? :)

I'm not sure that raising children here is a great thing. On the up side they will have plenty of opportunities to play and interact socially - the down side is that they will probably not learn anything in school.

I'm sure someone is going to say the Thai education system is wonderful. Those people, to put it simply, are wrong. I've worked in government schools, bilingual schools, language schools, private schools and temple schools in Thailand. I've never seen one that was worth a dam_n. There have been many threads about it. Even (or perhaps especially) Thais know it sucks.

The visa issue is challenging. I'm sure someone finds it easy and reasonable, but it is a fact that the rules are constantly changing and that itself is a challenge. It's the major reason this forum exists.

My wife went to her local school and her education is on par with any Falang school.

Her English is great and her world knowledge and maths are fine.

It's down to the student not the teacher. There are plenty of crap schools here too.

"Please be aware that you can get a Non-O based on your marriage easily in your country at a Thai consulate. (Never at the Thai embassy)"

My last Non-Immi "O" was from Hull Consul (for a change )..but 3 before that were from Thai Embassy in London and no problems.

Never bothered with extensions since I like a middle year visit back to the smoke on cheaper EU/Bk return flights..via the Dam....so NO bank requirements.(400K /Year)

Also re motors...

As part of our local farming community (mushrooms,date palm,eggs,peppers ++++)decided that we needed another pick up so bought a New KARRY yesterday... 1.1 engine /LPG/Sat Nav/DVD/Tints,A/C..etc which can load up ..hence the name ...1000 Kgms...for Bt 290K.

Overtook a couple of Tuks Tuks coming home on the 1317 yesterday... so not bad .

The Hilux stays in the garage for "posing days out"...gotta keep it clean.

:)

Farming is another option for us as her dad has has a decent size farm and the knowledge of where to buy and how to run it. Any advice ?

With a business in the name of your wife and you as minor share holder it should not be too difficult. Many people set up their own business, but as a foreigner you can only have not more than 49% of the shares in the company and you will need a few Thai employees to allow a work permit for yourself.

That's a feasible option. Have you any more info please.

Would that also work for owning a farm ?

The OP needs, in my opinion, to think very carefully about coming to live in Thailand.

He is married with a young family. The chances of finding well remunerated employment with a background in retail management and past employment as a "chef" are very limited. The idea of "teaching" is flawed even if a TEFL "qualification" was obtained employment opportunities will be few and poorly paid.

In Ireland the OP's children will receive a good State Funded education. The Thai education system is poor and becomes worse outside the big cities. So unless the OP can meet the fees associated with private education in one of the "International" schools the children will be condemned to a mediocre education, they will never reach their full potential and their future employment opportunities will be limited in the extreme.

Health care will be available to the OP's wife and children but he will have to either self fund heath care or take out on going health insurance which will be another drain on his resources.

Finally the OP needs to think about maintaining his "visa" status which will require the ability to demonstrate adequate funds on a yearly basis.

Sorry to appear negative but unless the above issues (at least) are satisfactorily addressed the OP risks bringing misery to himself and his family.

edit

spelling/punctuation !

I am not here to be pampered so don't apologise for being blunt. I need to know everything not just the good stuff.

Thanks

I would recommend opening your own small business, restaurant as someone else mentioned is a great idea. Take your time and save a big amount of money first - a proper business plan is a must, do everything properly.

I agree with the general answers to stay where you are for now and save that money. Take more holidays to LOS and network with farang business owners to find out more info. Be as prepared as you can for all eventualities - too many people fail and have to return home because of poor planning.

Best of luck to you, be positive and don't listen to the people that try to shoot you down. If you learn the Thai language you will greatly improve your chances - shouldn't be too hard with a Thai wife and a bit of study. Kids education should come before any of the above...

Holidays are not an option at €5000 a shot for flights :(

A big decision. I've lived in Northwest Thailand for 3 years. Originally getting a twelve month non-immigrant visa and going out of Thailand via Mai Sai, close to Chiang Rai. You only have to cross the bridge into Burma and walk straight back. Visa stamp in passport from both countries.

I then got a 12 month marriage visa and only now have to go to Mae Hong Son immigration once per year.Every three months I get a visa extension from the little immigration office in my home town. It's not difficult to get the marriage visa, but there's masses of paperwork needed and yes you have to provide proof that you maintain over 400,000 baht in a bank account in your name, not your wifes. Detail of the paperwork required for the visa is not readily available from immigration. You can pay a solicitor, but I am however happy to provide you with a list of all that you require and some tips.

I did buy a house and a nice pick up truck soon after making the move. Property and cars can only be in your wife's name. I would however advise to rent accommodation for a while and if you need transport go for an older well looked after Toyota diesl pick up. Good engines, strong chassis. When you feel that the move is right for you and you both want to stay, then take your time with either land or property.

Getting work is a difficult issue especially if your planning to live in a more rural area. I'm older than you at 63 but still wanted to work a little. Not possible so boredom is a big problem for me. My suggestion would be to try and set your wife up with a job, of her own food outlet or a telephone shop, this is where the money is. However don't get invlolved with the business on an outward facing profile, help your wife by all means in the background. I say this because I'm also in a rural area and the Thai's and Karen people do not give their business to foreigners.

My ontly other comment is that be careful of your wife's family. Whether they be parents, brothers and sisters, aunts, uncles etc. they will try to benefit from your wealth and generosity.

Hope this helps.

Good advice

Anymore help you can provide would be much appreciated. We have considered setting her up in business so that may well be the way to go.

Many wrong or negative information here....Sometimes not the right place to ask...

WORK: I live here for more than 2 years, retired and married with a Thai citizen. I am non native English speaker, I do no have a teaching degree but I can teach English if I want because it is a new Thai government project allowing people from any nationality, without any teaching degree or certification, but with good English skills, to teach in public elementary schools.

Salary 10000 thb/month and a work permit. Just go to any government elementary school and ask.

TEACHING CERTIFICATION: You can get a teaching certification if you are from a English speaking country, just taking a 120 hours course in a licensed school. With a teaching certification you can apply for teaching jobs in any school with a big chance to get it, and with salaries over 20000thb/month. Just go to any English Teaching School and ask.

HEALTH INSURANCE: If you are under 60 years old, married with a Thai citizen, with a Thai marriage visa, and you have a work permit, you qualify to have Social Security, that cover medical expenses in public hospitals. Your wife can also get a Social Security if do not have now, just paying a small fee to cover pass years. Just go to the local Social Security office and ask.

VISA: To get a marriage visa if you have the proper marriage documentation, just needs to show an official declaration from your country or embassy stating that you, OR you and your wife together, have an income of more of 40000thb/month OR 400000thb in a Thai bank OR a combination of both like, 20000thb income plus 250000thb in a bank account. Do not ask a private visa service about, just go to the local immigration office and ask.

BANK ACCOUNT: Many Thai banks will tell you that you need a work visa to open an account, but you can do it without in any Bangkok Bank.

HOUSING: Do not buy a house so soon....just rent...and ...you can rent a house on a month to month contract, sometimes even with some furniture. Do not use an Internet service or real estate company to find it. Look in local newspapers, and ask to local people....

CAR: Do not buy or rent a car or motorbike if you cannot get a very good insurance. Deal with the police or a victim of an accident will be trouble, even more if you were at fault. By the way....Good insurance do not exist in Thailand, but..again...ask around. Used cars and motorbikes sometimes are just another bad experience.

Welcome to Thailand!

Keeping a family of four in Thailand on 10000 baht per month. Is this the Thailand on planet Earth or the other place?

I spend almost that amount per month just on food for me and the missis and we certainly are not eating caviar and drinking champagne for lunch.

Realistically for 2 adults with 2 children, if wanting to provide a decent education for the kids at International schools and then further on to University, plus living a quality lifestyle of a reasonable standard, you`re looking at a minimum of 70000 baht per month, perhaps more.

If accepting to live at the extreme of basics, no air con, no Internet, limited use of electricity, eating Thai noodle type meals every day, free bog standard Government education for the children, no social, no booze, no fags and no nothing, it is possible for a family to live on perhaps 15000 baht a month and that`s with hoping there are no serious medical emergencies or problems, you don`t lose your job, the house doesn`t blow down during a hurricane and so on.

We love Thai basic food and cook nothing but that here at home.

Neither of us drink or smoke.

Have stayed in her parents house a few times with only a fan no aircon and it wasn't a problem so that brings the bill down a lot.

Hope this helps.

Just a note. Sorry your statement that everything must be in your wife's name is not correct. The land yes, but not a car/truck or motorcycle. This can be in your name. Moving your family to Thailand is a big move. Finding work where you plan to move could be very difficult. Staring a business where you plan to live could be an issue too. If you want to open a restaurant you will need to be in a tourist area. Having you wife open a store is a good idea. I set my wife up with her own store several years ago. Cost me about $3000 USD to get it going. She makes between 30-50K per month net. So she does ok not great. I heard allot of guys saying cost of living is expensive, this I dont agree. When we go to the US to visit I spend allot of cash. Living in Thailand is cheap. Our house is paid for so we only have electric, Satellite and internet. Total for all three is about 3000B but never over 5000B. Food my wife buys on the street or gets meat and vegetable at the local market. I would say about 1000-1500B a week. I usually go to Big C every other week to buy things I like that is about 1000-1500B every other week. Fuel my wife spend about 400-500 a month I spend 1000-1500 per week, but that is driving about 30-40km a day going back and forth to my factory. Going out a during the month dinners, movies etc another 5-6K per month. If I didnt work we could live on what she makes. Only you can decide if it is going to work for you and your family. I do suggest as others said, dont build a house. Come here and see how things work out. After 1 year you are happy then decide if you will build a house. Truck/car depends on what you are going to do. You might be able to get by with just a motorcycle. I know allot of guys around me that only have a motorcycle. Just be careful, think things out and don't rush into anything. Just like anything else in life. Good Luck

That's good to hear about your wife. It's a definite possibility for mine.

Thanks

The house issue seems to be a total no judging from all the advice so I will rethink renting :)

Welcome to Thailand!

We love Thai basic food and cook nothing but that here at home.

Neither of us drink or smoke.

Have stayed in her parents house a few times with only a fan no aircon and it wasn't a problem so that brings the bill down a lot.

OK.

I have over 30 years experience of staying in Thailand and over the years here have seen many of my fellow farangies come and go. Thailand is not the bargain basement as many may believe, as I said, you need dough here and lots of it, plus a sustainable income to support you for the rest of your life, such as a decent pension from your own country later on for your old age, which is never that far off. I suddenly woke up one morning and I was 58, just like that.

Moving to any country in South East Asia, where Westerners have hardly any statutory rights, the rules can change at a swipe of a pen and no support whatsoever, requires a lot of consideration and planning, especially when there are children involved.

Whatever decision you make, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

Good luck if you really believe that what you intend to do is for the better of your family and best for you.

• Like 1

Com on... Thailand is the best place of the world to do whatever you want.

It s so easy.

Get a cheap room(rent) , 2 floors. On top install ur bedrooms, downstairs your business. Whatever business your want...

Downstairs, buy play station second hand, old screen and pc, and make video games for kids.... Money will come.

Make sandwich... Or whatever the thai like. Sell fruits... Shake. Candies...

Keep it simple. Forget cars...

You can stay home, get money... Relax and enjoy your little town life.

You can organise trip to your place. Make a website. Advertise a little...

My god, I make more money in Thailand by working a little only than working full time in UK or USA for crap money.

Com on... Thailand is the best place of the world to do whatever you want.

It s so easy.

Get a cheap room(rent) , 2 floors. On top install ur bedrooms, downstairs your business. Whatever business your want...

Downstairs, buy play station second hand, old screen and pc, and make video games for kids.... Money will come.

Make sandwich... Or whatever the thai like. Sell fruits... Shake. Candies...

Keep it simple. Forget cars...

You can stay home, get money... Relax and enjoy your little town life.

You can organise trip to your place. Make a website. Advertise a little...

My god, I make more money in Thailand by working a little only than working full time in UK or USA for crap money.

Sounds great but if its that easy why are there so many arguing against it ?

Could you elaborate on your situation a bit

Thanks

"please no flamming"

How about flimming?

I wouldn't want to move to Thailand and try to support a family on an English teacher's salary. You won't even be able to find full time work at first, which would mean holding down several part-time jobs to make ends meet.

Get your degree as an Engineer and start there.

Skip the car and house until you get settled in and find some work (not that easy here).Have you considered your visa and extension of stay options. Unless you can prove 40k baht income or can put 400k baht in the bank to get an extension you will be making trips to the border every 90 days using a multiple entry non immigrant O visa.You can teach english without a degree but you would not be able to get a teachers license that is required to get a work permit.

400k not a problem.

I don't understand what you mean about teaching, if I teach English but can't get a permit then I can't teach English ?

------------------

In other words to teach English legally you will need to get a Work Permit. In fact to get any employment legally in Thailand a foreigner needs a Work Permit. If you teach English the school that hires you will need to do the paperwork to get you that Work Permit.

Your extension of stay (long term stay) if you work in Thailand is tied to your job and your Work Permit.

Getting a Work Permit allows to get a long term stay based on employment in Thailand, and the paperwork your employer gives you allows you to get a Work Permit.

If you quit your job, or lose your job somehow, your Work Permit is ended, and you will have the leave the country to get a new visa to re-enter the country.

That's the reality of living and working in Thailand, at least legally.

Now, since you are married to a Thai you will also qualify for a long term stay in Thailand due to that marriage.

But anyway, to get a job and work legally you will need that Work Permit.

When you say a private school is expensive here you must define as to whether you are referring to one that is classified as an international school or others that are close to it. Or one that does not fall into either of these classifications.

My daughter and granddaughter attend a good private school. The tuition is only about 12,000 baht a year each.

Edited by ubonjoe

When you say a private school is expensive here you must define as to whether you are referring to one that is classified as an international school or others that are close to it. Or one that does not fall into either of these classifications.My daughter and granddaughter attend a good private school. The tuition is only about 12,000 baht a year each.

12000 is nothing in the grand scheme of things

Sorry but Spending 2 weeks every four months is not living in Thailand that vacation time :-)

I love Thailand I have spent 2 weeks every 4 months there for past 7 years. I love village life and her family and friends love me smile.png
Been to hospital twice and I drive all the time over there so no worries on that.
Thanks for the input every little helps.

You are 40. What's missing here is a retirement plan. Yes, one of these days you will be sixty five. Do you think about how fast you became 40? Where did the years go? Getting to 65 will seem to happen even faster.

Where is your retirement income coming from, from 65 on out?

If I were your age I'd have two priorities. First would be raising my children and getting them a good education. Second would be saving and planning for real retirement. I mean no money worries or needs retirement.

Just about the time you are truly planning to retire, your kids will be in a university eating up your money. That's if you have any money.

Don't think about where you are today or what you want today. You need a long term, lifetime plan that doesn't just include tomorrow or you will wind up a broke old man.

• Like 1

"12000 is nothing in the grand scheme of things "

What was suggested is that 12000 meets the tuition cost (at current prices) for one child. (That sounds to be an underestimate to me for a "good" private school")

On top of that there are the costs associated with transport, school uniform, school meals, books, sports wear etc. The total cost rises rapidly and for two children the costs double !

As in indicator a Thai friend of ours is paying 144,000pa for their five year old daughters private school.

I suggest to come to Thailand and stay during the humid weather months, than make a decision. This is a major move for you. You wife will love it but, you must be ready for major changes.. Driving here is not fun and there are accidents daily where a foreigner like yourself is responsible. Health care is not cheap and you better have it. If you decide to rent most homes require a six month lease. Cable TV and internet service is expensive. This is a small portion of what you will face here and that is not including the job you are seeking. Corruption is here so you may need more money if you get in some trouble.

Thailand was great for me, I visited Thailand every year for 15 years, got married and decided to move here, 5 months later I moved back to the states. Two traffic accidents, a car note that the dealer will not take back, Oh, did I mention my Bacteria Infection that most Thai doctors could not correctly diagnose and finally went to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital for emergency surgery almost losing a leg.

Don't let me scare you my friend, several people survive fine in Thailand. I do go back every year in December when the weather is great to visit my Thai wife's family and than return to the states with my wife and child.

Good Luck To You Whatever You Decision may be...

Sound and honest comment..all worth listening to.

I live here and have been for over 3 years, all is well, biggest problem is ''Driving'' its scarey out there... apart from that i love it, but i am a lot older, different situation, and financially secure, not relying on earning or making money in Thailand...

All the best, and hope you can make your dreams come true..