How does a passport renewal affect a tourist visa?

I'm sending my British passport to HK for a renewal on Monday. I currently have 26 days left of my tourist visa with the option to extend it by another month. Assuming I have not received my new passport come time to extend my tourist visa, do I take in the old passport and will they stamp that? Additionally, once I have received my new passport, do I need to take that in to immigration as well? Will they transfer the remaining days on to that passport?

If you haven't received your new passport in time you should use the old one to get the extension. When you get your new passport you do not have to have the stamps transferred, just take both to the airport/border when you leave.

Some will say that your Old Passport will be cancelled when Hong Kong receives your application for a new one, IMHO, the above will work. But you might have a problem if you tried to leave Thailand and enter another country with the old passport. Take the EMS receipt with you just in case, but don't show it or admit to applying for a new passport unless asked.

If you wish, you can get your 30-day extension of stay already now. The 30 days will be added to then of your current permission to stay, ie you lose nothing by applying early. Once you get your new passport, the old one will no longer be valid for travel but your permission to stay in the old passport will remain valid, as Wayned said.

You do lose by applying for the extension early, as they extend you 30 days from the day you make the application to extend, not at the end of your current stamped exit date.

With an extension in the old passport I would, after receipt of the new passport, go to the local immigration office and get the details of the permission to stay transferred to the new passport; this is free of charge. I have seen reports that the immigration officer at the airport has also done this transfer but so as not to hold up the queue at the airport I would get it done at the local office.

You do lose by applying for the extension early, as they extend you 30 days from the day you make the application to extend, not at the end of your current stamped exit date.

Incorrect. Extension are given from the date your current permission to stay ends, not from the day you apply.

With an extension in the old passport I would, after receipt of the new passport, go to the local immigration office and get the details of the permission to stay transferred to the new passport; this is free of charge. I have seen reports that the immigration officer at the airport has also done this transfer but so as not to hold up the queue at the airport I would get it done at the local office.

I think I would just go to airport or border.

Tourist visa extension would not require anything more than having a visa entry stamps moved.

Incorrect, The 30 day extension starts from the last day you are allowed in the country (on top of your current stay) at this moment or until the passport expires.

So it does not matter when you apply for the 30 day extension.

------------------------

No that's not how they do if you have a tourist visa.

The extension starts from the expiration date you already have with your tourist visa.

They like to have you wait until you have 30 days or less on your current visa before you apply for an extension, but the date they stamp in your passport for of your exit is still the date of your visa, plus a 30 day extension,

At least that's the correct way of doing it, not all immigration offices may know that, but it is the supposed to be correct rule to be used. Most immigrations will do it that way.

So if you have a 60 day tourist visa and you extend it by 30 days on the 45th day you should still get 90 days total, not 75 days.