Choice between Dunlop and Pirelli tyres for Honda CB400

billd766

I have a 1994 CB 400 and I need to replace both front and rear tyres before the end of the year.

Show Pow sell Pirelli and Ek Paiboon sell Dunlop and the price is roughly the same.

The front tyre is 120/60 ZR 17 M/C (55W)

The rear tyre is 160/60 ZR 17 M/C (69W)

I only use the bike for cruising and touring with NO flat out burn ups, wheelies or track work. At 69 I don't think my heart would take it but it could be fun at the time.

Which would be the best choice between them?

There are Dunlops on it at the moment.

Cheers

Bill

I have Pirellis on my ER6n. I don't care for Dunlops line up. The Pirellis are more popular in every bike size group (except scooters).They just hug the road great. I would rather have Pirelli's lowest base tire opposed to Dunlops best. My stock Dunlops were dreadful right from the gate & the Pirreli's heat up in a minute & Dunlop's might look like the have plenty of tread but can't come close to the way Pirelli's are! I would opt for the Pirelli's on the 400. The action will be noticeably different within 2 minutes of riding!

Depending on availability ,and price , Dunlop Road Smart or Pirelli Strada. Both offer quick warm up , good grip in heavy rain superb life and more performance than you and your bike are going to need , by the sounds of it. Dont forget to "bed them in" gently.Happy riding.

It looks as though Pirellis seem to be the best option plus the tact that Show Pow at On Nut 46/2 is easier to get to especially coming from upcountry.

Ideally at 69 years old I would love one of these

post-5614-0-75200800-1378265992_thumb.jp

http://www.hgbmotorcycles.co.uk/csc%20goldwing%20trikes.html

A Honda Goldwing Trike but a new one would have to be an import and I dread to think of the end cost.

In the USA they cost around 30 to $35,000 USD .

I wonder if they have a reverse gear?

• Like 1

I too have a CB400 - a few years older than yours. It has Pirelli Sport Demons. Also have standard Pirelli Scorpions On CB500X. I have had Pirelli tyres on other bikes across the years, and have always been happy with their performance - grip and wear.

Dunlop may be as good, or even better, but I know and trust Pirelli so would recommend them.

And yes, Gold WIngs do have reverse.

• Like 1

I too have a CB400 - a few years older than yours. It has Pirelli Sport Demons. Also have standard Pirelli Scorpions On CB500X. I have had Pirelli tyres on other bikes across the years, and have always been happy with their performance - grip and wear.

Dunlop may be as good, or even better, but I know and trust Pirelli so would recommend them.

Thank you for your input. It looks as though I will be getting Pirellis in early November.

As for the Gold Wing I can't image at 69 years old trying to push one backwards up a slope from a parking slot.

Reverse is the way to go. After all French and Italian tanks have many reverse gears. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Thank you for your input. It looks as though I will be getting Pirellis in early November.

As for the Gold Wing I can't image at 69 years old trying to push one backwards up a slope from a parking slot.

Reverse is the way to go. After all French and Italian tanks have many reverse gears. whistling.gif

Agree Pirellis would be my choice, Goldwings have had reverse for many years and many other goodies even an airbag, airbag or not I would still automactically vacant before hitting something. laugh.png

I think a ejector seat with parachute would be a good idea as long as your not under a bridge.laugh.png

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 2

If my wife was as rich as Thaksin promised she would be I would ask her to buy me one.

The top of the range one I have seen so far is over $40,000 or perhaps 1,4xx,xxx Thb IN the USA.

If I could get one imported to Thailand and IF the customs weren't TOOO greedy and if the DLT were not TOOO greedy as well I figure around 4 million Thb.

At my age dreaming is free and about all I can do.

tongue.pngthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Do they have the A/C as well? rolleyes.gif

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Has AC 24-7 as long as you consider 38 degrees with humidity of 80% or better with lots of hot wind rushing by your head! I did see a helmet that had a cooling feature offered. I have not seen it of late.....Musta been a poor product that never made it.

Depending on availability ,and price , Dunlop Road Smart or Pirelli Strada. Both offer quick warm up , good grip in heavy rain superb life and more performance than you and your bike are going to need , by the sounds of it. Dont forget to "bed them in" gently.Happy riding.

My ER6n came with Dunlop roadsmarts & were the absolute worst tire on any bike I have ever owned at 1500 kilos they stumbled over small pebbles. A cigarette but would cause the front tire to kick out(exaggerating) But the suck compared to the Pirelli diablo 2's on them now. On a 400 & up got to be a Pirelli. Battle axe are close but still no cigar. Go for the Pirreli's . Most enjoyed tire in LOS!

• Like 1