smoke came from shower unit

Asiantravel

I had a pretty scary experience afternoon involving the infamous hot water shower units you get in bathrooms here. We can all remember the Swedish couple that were killed in the shower of their hotel on Krabi a couple of years ago

I have often thought being electrocuted in the shower would be one of the worst ways to die. I am curious as to how close I came to catastrophe based on the information below.

This afternoon as I was taking a hot shower I could start to smell something strange. It was almost like the smell of burning oil ( as opposed to any kind of burning rubber smell ) . I just happened to look up at the shower unit and there was smoke coming from the side of the unit. xohmy.png.pagespeed.ic.shABmucp9T.png

I immediately rushed out of the shower and turned off all the electricity in the room and then found the switch in the power box specifically for the shower and have kept that switched off.

I immediately went downstairs to the the managers of the apartment. They firstly assured me that all the shower units are earthed and everything is to a high standard.

Until after it has been repaired I will just use the shower without the electricity switched on and I trust that it is safe to do?

Has anyone here ever had prior experience of this happening and what is likely to have caused like a burning oil smell?

I don't know if it's related but I noticed recently when I turned the knob to switch off the shower unit if I wanted a cold shower the red light remained on and the water was still hot, even after I had turned the knob all the way around and it had clicked indicating off.