Sometimes You Just Have To Wonder!

kasi

I went to the PS restaurant a week or so ago for a PS steak. I go there quite often most of the waiters know me and I send them a lot business as well.

It was a quiet evening, the patio was half full and no one was inside. I went inside and sat at a table for 4 as I wanted to edit some pictures on my laptop while I waited( I wanted a little room). The waiter came and I ordered without looking at the menu.

A couple of minutes later another waitress(who I don't recognize) comes and asks me if I'm alone. I say yes. She indicates that she would like me to move to a small table for two.

Incredulous I look around, I'm the only customer inside, then I look back at her and she is pointing to the table she want's me to sit at. (I already had my laptop out and didn't want to move) Nor did I want to have to argue with her! I slowly packed up my laptop and walked out the door and went up the street to Hans and Nok for a steak.

I reckon I wont be having another PS steak for a while! :o

wouldnt it have just been easier to ask her to go get one of the waiters that you do know - im sure any of the staff that knew your face would have explained to her that youre a local...

either way i hope you enjoyed your steak - wherever you went for it

wouldnt it have just been easier to ask her to go get one of the waiters that you do know - im sure any of the staff that knew your face would have explained to her that youre a local...

either way i hope you enjoyed your steak - wherever you went for it

I guess I wasn't in the mood to be doing any explaining to anyone(grumpy sometimes). And yes the steak at Hans and Nok is really quite good,

What a hilarious story, Kasi! Thanks for brightening my morning :o

An absolutely archetypal no-common-sense, blinkered, think-in-straight-lines action by the (new) waitress. Typical of Thailand as I’m sure you know.

What I’d have done is to deploy my ‘play them at their own game’ strategy. I’d have said, very politely in Thai , that it was impossible for me to move since my laptop was already switched on, or some such nonsense.

The waitress would have gone away in time and you could have enjoyed your steak without the hassle of moving.

I wish I’d have been there to enjoy the spectacle of your steak arriving, with you gone, and the waitress having to explain the saga. It would have been most entertaining.

Edited by Jingjok

Of course, the poor bugger who would've had to pay for the steak would've been the waiter responsible for the table.... the nice one who knew you. How much was it? 200B? How much is he likely to earn in a day? About the same.

I liked the idea of playing them at their own game. You could've ask WHY you had to move before being so 'grumpy.'

Well well, an event exactly analogous to Kasi's table moving happened to me today. Popping in to Keehin electrical shop, I parked sloppily, crossing the lines in the TOTALLY empty car park. The parking guy came running over and gestured me to get back in the car and park neatly between the lines.

I just laughed and told him I was far too lazy to do that. (“Mai day khrap, phom khii kiat na khrap!”). He laughed and walked off.

Confrontation defused, and everyone has a laugh. I do like this ridiculous country. Sometimes :o

Of course, the poor bugger who would've had to pay for the steak would've been the waiter responsible for the table.... the nice one who knew you. How much was it? 200B? How much is he likely to earn in a day? About the same.

I liked the idea of playing them at their own game. You could've ask WHY you had to move before being so 'grumpy.'

I hadn't thought of that perspective. In hindsight I like to have handled it differently. Like just ignoring the idiot waitress.

Now I can't go back to that restaurant for sometime, if ever. I do like their steaks. Oh well live and learn.

Edited by kasi

:D:D:D

Similar thing happened to me a few years ago in Chiang Mai at “The Red Lion”, :D only problem was, this waitress asked me to move from one 4 seat-er table (outside) to another 4 seat-er table (outside) and I asked why ???? (as all of the 2 seat-ers where take up) She said “must move” I did, went next door and had some great German Food. :D

Now, always there when I visit Chiang Mai (next door eating German Food.) Their loss (The Red Loin) is my gain. :D

Yours truly, :D

I Kan loss as well as Win :D

Kan Win :o

do we not have the rights to be grumpy if shit flies around, we do pay to be treated nice or? I have left many restaurants and they do not care if I ever come back, so why should we care as customers. They act stupidly and we just leave, one for you Kasi, cheers.

I hadn't thought of that perspective. In hindsight I like to have handled it differently. Like just ignoring the idiot waitress.

Now I can't go back to that restaurant for sometime, if ever. I do like their steaks. Oh well live and learn.

If you really like the place and the people you know there, I'd check in and make sure that the waiter didn't get stuck for the bill. I mean 200 baht to us isn't squat, to him it may have been a lot. The problem with the waitress and the fact that you were grumpy shouldn't cost him. Just a thought...

A similar story in a Thai German resturant in Patong.. Its just a little place on Nanai but does a great masaman curry..

Anyway I walk in to the place and it is empty.. Its only got about 6 tables anyway but theres no one in there.. So I go over to the back and sit down facing out to the road and the farang owner comes over and says good evening etc.. I am sorry but this tables reserved.. I actually really thought he was making a joke (I forgot he was German) at how empty his resturant was.. I kinda laughed (I guess he assumed at him) and took the menu from his hands.. When he shuffled from foot to foot next to me I realized he was serious..

I moved to the next (empty) table and true enough a couple turned up 10 - 15 mins later and sat in that table and eat..

No harm no foul (and certainly no grudge) I still pop in for food.. Just was one of those odd moments.. A resrved table in an empty resturant.