Thammasat divided over student uniforms

webfact

Thammasat divided over student uniforms
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thammasat University responded to student pressure on Monday, announcing that the wearing of student uniforms in class was not compulsory.

University rector Somkit Lertpaithoon said students would be encouraged, rather than forced, to wear uniforms in lecture theatres and examinations.

The move came after students protested against the Faculty of Science's insistence on uniforms by producing posters of two students in uniform having sex.

Somkit has ordered that the compulsory uniform rule announced by Science Faculty Assoc Prof Pakorn Sermsuk be rescinded and has set up a committee to investigate the matter.

Vice rector Prinya Thaewanaruemitkul, in charge of student affairs, has been tasked with overseeing the committee.

The university's student council is preparing to conduct a survey on the issue before discussing the matter with the administrators.

Somkit insisted that Thammasat University students are not required to wear uniform, although it is encouraged, particularly during examinations, so that students can practice discipline needed for the workplace after they graduate.

However, Science Faculty dean Pakorn said faculty administrators had met and decided that the inculcation of order is important, as students must be disciplined when carrying out scientific experiments. The wearing of uniforms is an index of discipline, he added.

Asked if he thought the protest would spread to other faculties, Pakorn said he believed not and added that the uniform was a sign of pride and helped remind students to behave accordingly.

Pratchaya Nongnuch, president of Thammasat University student council, said the council had discussed the matter with students and lecturers and discovered there are both supporters and opponents of compulsory uniform wearing. She said the council was willing to facilitate a solution to end the rift and suggested that holding public hearing and a referendum might provide a solution acceptable to all.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-10

• Like 2

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The move came after students protested against the Faculty of Science's insistence on uniforms by producing posters of two students in uniform having sex.

I fail to see the connection here between wearing uniforms and having sex.

You obviously haven't seen how short those skirts can get.

• Like 1

Thammasat students run racy anti-uniform ads
By Coconuts Bangkok

1003542_665262690151762_910464236_n.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Posters of uniformed students in compromising positions have been erected around Thammasat University's Rangsit campus to protest against, what some students believe, is the restrictive nature of the required clothing.

The posters display provocative images of students doing the dirty with the messages:
“Did you have to wear uniform during mid-term?”
“Is sex better in uniform?”
“Uniform is challenging.”
“Unleash your identity.”

“Thammasat is a university of democracy, then why are we forced to wear uniform when clothing doesn’t determine education?” asked Aum Neko Jump, a singer who studies at Thammasat and a supporter of the campaign.

She added that Thammasat University or “The University of Moral and Political Sciences” in English is an institute where human rights and democracy are highly valued. The university should not limit students’ creativity by forcing them to wear uniforms.

Another supporter who supports the movement is Netiwit Chotipatpaisan, a high-school student and the creator of the Facebook page “Netiwit Ntw.”

“Anyone should be able to wear whatever they want, and educational institutes are supposed to develop students’ thoughts and creativity, not teaching them what’s right or wrong,” Netiwt wrote of his Facebook page. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/09/09/thammasat-students-run-racy-anti-uniform-ads

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-09-10

• Like 1

A woman in a maids uniform, leather or a school uniform, it all personal choice for your fantasy.

Chrissy Amphlett used the school uniform well when she sang "I touch myself"

Oh and for the gay community there is Angus Young.

• Like 2

I think they look very nice.

Yes I have seen them. My point is that if these students are going to engage in sex they will uniform or not. And they do. I think this is being used as a bargaining chip by the students.

• Like 2

Lets be realistic, almost everyone about to engage in sex will be out of their university uniforms, business suits, camouflage BDU's,

etc. The poster is inflammatory and should banned. The uniforms are just part of a structured environment and should be continuedwithout dissent.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Link required...I need proof.

• Like 1

I can see the case for not needing/wanting uniforms, but this ad campaign is utterly ridiculous. The uniform is not designed to be sexy, students wear them that way. If they get rid of the uniform, does anyone think that the girls will come fully clothed? These girls are going to wear short skirts and high heels no matter what (for the record, i have no problem with this thumbsup.gif ).

If they want to get ride of uniforms, then how about going about it in a mature fashion (pun intended).

"If they get rid of the uniform, does anyone think that the girls will come fully clothed?"

Gees I bloody well hope not. I love looking at the girls. I'm a man approaching his mid 40's and remember when I had girls in their 20's. Days gone past and can only dream now.

• Like 2

There is no good reason for University students to wear mandatory uniforms

A uniform will not create discipline and it surely won;t create individuality

On the other hand I live beside two Universities and I have come to appreciate

the look of the blouses and skirts the young ladies wear .... pretty sure these

uniforms get more hormones running that a girl wearing normal street clothes.

Is there also good reason to NOT wearing uniform? I feel like those students who love to call themselves 'liberal' are just overreacting. They act like the uniform is an evil and the education system will be boosted like 300% by abolishing the uniform's rule. sad.png

Err, there a rules and guide lines with uniforms and most female students violate them by wearing short skimpy shirts.

Uniforms are nothing about control, they are to make all students look equal.

Australia used to be all about "wear what ever you want.." but that only lead to stereo typing and bullying.

The only sexual deviate is the person wearing the uniform, i see plenty of normal girls with skirts to their knees and not just passing the curve of their butts.

UNIFORMS MAKE EVERYONE LOOK EQUAL and then they can get down to the serious stuff, like learning something, not seeing whose the coolest person cause they got stupid swag labels.

My faculty always requires our students to wear their uniform for final exams-if they don't have them on they are not to be admitted. Interesting that our rector says they are not required. Wonder what will happen at the next final exam period starting in two weeks. My brother when visiting (who teaches at college overseas) was delighted to see the female students in their tight shirts and mini skirts with slits/uniforms--says he wishes his school would instittue the policy.

I think they look very nice.

Yes indeed. Also very seductive when they don't wear knickers "as quite a few don't"

Teachers become very distracted when the girls in the front row are so attired.