Why are these pumps failing so frequently?

JAS21

So I'm talking to the guy where we are staying. He says his pool has about 100Tons of water. He uses chlorine and soda ash . The pool looks spotless, the water really clear and doesn't effect my skin.

His problem is that the pump seals fail frequently. The pump runs for 10Hrs a day and since the last repair has only run for a month ... this morning the seal failed and the pump leaked badly. This occurred after 'hovering' the pool.

He told me initially the pump lasted about three months before then seal failed, he now gets a local firm in Kanchanaburi to repair. Initially the pump came from a company in Nakhon Pathom I believe.

Any suggestions? I can find more info. We just separated the pump to 'look see' the impeller didn't want to come off easily so we put it back together. the impellor inlet seal was a bit rough.post-17329-0-60425700-1378884617_thumb.jpost-17329-0-94416100-1378884645_thumb.jpost-17329-0-11858700-1378884668_thumb.jpost-17329-0-55107400-1378884693_thumb.j

I think that the pump is of Chinese origin

it's an overflow pool and also takes water from the bottom of the pool .... just two supplies to the pump inlet and then into the big strainer.

........................... thanks

Can't help you. This is simply an "I feel your pain" post.

I work for a Thai university which has built a multi-million-baht Olympic-sized pool. It's beautiful on the outside. Built about three years ago. For the entire three years, the pool has been closed more than it's been open (which is only 4 hours a day), due to "mechanical failure." Usually, the pumps are cited as the failed equipment. Wish I knew the commonality to your problem, but I suspect the origin of the pumps may be suspect. Meanwhile, I keep my running shoes more handy than the swimming goggles. whistling.gif

This Saxon brand is unknown to us and a web search reveals nothing. PRC - definitely made in China. (Plastic impeller?) Not to be confused with SaXson Pumps from South Africa.

The above reports are disquieting and are clearly examples why it is inadvisable to use cheap and/or unknown brands. The price of a quality pump will not impact greatly on the overall cost of a pool.

Edited by SwimmingPoolsThailand
  • Like 1

We have pumps that have been in service for over 15 years with no problems with the seals.

Use a good brand pump.

Protect the pump motor with a low voltage protector (1 phase) or phas protector (3 phase).

Make sure the pump is in a ventelated enviroment, they need need air flow.

In 90% of Seal/bearing failures we have had "The Pump Ran With out Water" the best thing is to always have the pump below the water source/level, if not seals and bearings will fail due to lack of maintenance, failure of auxillery components (foot/chec valve, float switches, float valves.

Agian never a problem, never when the water source is above the pump, and the source has a float switch to stop the pump if there is a lack of water, Oh and don't forget the power protection.

I'm not a pool expert, but the Chinese LuckyPro branded water pumps are simple, cheap and rugged.

We got a 1.5" 1200 Watt unit for about 4.5k Baht, at that price one can have a spare waiting to be hooked up in the event of a failure.

My only concern would be compatibility of the cast-iron parts with pool water, any idea on that people?

I'm not a pool expert, but the Chinese LuckyPro branded water pumps are simple, cheap and rugged.

We got a 1.5" 1200 Watt unit for about 4.5k Baht, at that price one can have a spare waiting to be hooked up in the event of a failure.

My only concern would be compatibility of the cast-iron parts with pool water, any idea on that people?

apart from pool pumps i can report only positive results using pumps made in China.

-in my first home in Florida the Hayward pump runs since end of 1989,

-second home Florida 3 different Haywards run since 1994,

-home in Thailand Hayward pump runs since 2006.

for pools nothing beats Hayward as far as reliability and longevity is concerned! unfortunately Hayward "beats" the price of any other pool pump by a multiple. if my present Hayward in Thailand conks off and cannot be repaired i might go for "elCheapo" (2HP for 5,500 Baht) instead of shelling out 30,000 Baht for a Hayward.

i'm not an expert but i don't think that cast iron/pool water presents a problem.

Edited by Naam

Back to our OPs seal issues, is there any possibility that the pumps run dry at any point in their operation? Dry running is a cert for short seal life :(

Possibly a failed check valve if the pump is above pool level.

Back to our OPs seal issues, is there any possibility that the pumps run dry at any point in their operation? Dry running is a cert for short seal life sad.png

Possibly a failed check valve if the pump is above pool level.

a dry running pool pump for up to 10 minutes is one of my problems i haven't been able to solve. the reason is 20m² of pool heating solar panels with a vacuumbreaker to drain the panels when the pump is not running. that means the pump has to deal with the amount of air equivalent to the volume of 60 liters water when the next heating cycle starts. due to the temperature difference (hot when pump runs dry) i expect some seal leakage any day dry.png

p.s. if i block the vacuumbreaker the remaining water gets extremely hot which might effect those seals which connect the panels or the panel material itself. anybody with a brilliant idea to solve my problem?

Can you send me a good picture of the seal?

We are doing special seals, maybe we can make a cheap seal that lasts very long. Or up to design we might not be able. But worth to have a look.

Thanks ... at present no as I'm back in BK ... unfortunately I didn't go to the pump shop with the guy else I would have taken a picture. If I can get one at a later date I'll send it to you.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed today that my Hayward Superpump II starts to make a noise.

That would be the bearings I guess. Are they easy to replace or is the noise probably from something else?

Better to have it checked as otherwise you could be facing a burnt out pump soon & having to do a complete rewind as well as bearings & seal.