Bangkok taxi drives away with tourist’s belongings

webfact

Taxi Drives Away with Passenger’s Belongings

yt.jpg

The yellow taxi claims that it out of service and asked passengers to help push the taxi. At the same time the driver drive off with the passengers belongings.

BANGKOK- September 13, 2013 [PDN]; at about 11:11 AM Pangphli Radio-Suksawat reported about catching a yellow taxi license number 8484 Bangkok. Victim reported that the taxi driver Mr.Thondate Thanathiraphong made an excuse to the tourists passengers that his car was out of service and asked them to help push the taxi from there he drove away towards Bangkunthein . However, the tourist’s belongings were still in the taxi.

The victim claims that he came with his Iranian friend the hailed the taxi from the Suvarnabhumi Airport to drop them at Rama 2, Bangmot, but on the highway the driver of taxi license number 8484 asked the passengers to help push the taxi.

Just as they started pushing the taxi driver switched on the car and drove off and hit the highway block but however drove away towards Rama 2 road. The tourist tried to get another taxi to chase the taxi that had their belongings but they did not accomplish.

One suitcase, two rucksacks and cash money of $4000, mobile phone and important documents along with clothes will all in the taxi. However, the highway staffs have informed the police.

Source: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/09/14/taxi-drives-away-with-passengers-belongings/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2013-09-14

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've often thought a stunt like this or some variation of it would be easy to pull. Therefore, whenever I'm in any taxi anywhere I always keep my shoulder bag with my wallet, passport, and other important stuff on my person.

that is just plain and simple having sense feel sorry for the people losing their stuff like that when it is so easily avoided , not the first time if i recall right they pull the same stunt apart from hitting concrete while speeding away

would also not be surprised if that taxi was reported stolen before the mishap

Edited by retell

All my valuables are in my pockets at all times when travelling. Never in a bag that can be lost or stolen. I travel just with carry on luggage so can always put my bag into the back of the car with me.

If someone asked me to get out and push I'd pay the current fair, get out with my bag, and hail another taxi. No way would I get out leaving my stuff in there.

Didn't similar happen not too long ago?

Who writes / proof reads these articles btw...they need fired.

• Like 1

Wonder why this gets fewer replies than the "honest taxi driver returns money" stories.

Because that will be the subject of the next topic, which will be in the news forum.

Yellow taxi 8484 returns tourists belongings forgotten in his cab coffee1.gif

• Like 1

What a terrible thing to happen. As far as the tourist carrying the money...In Iran credit cards and travelers checks are not accepted due to sanctions from the west. If you travel there you have to carry the cash you will need on your trip. Friend is going next week and wanted to buy a carpet but when learning of the cash situation decided it ws too much money to have to carry. So the Iranian may have not had any choice but to carry cash. If you carry a rucksack/small backpack (similar to a purse for a woman) that is probably where your money would be.

• Like 1

A related topic. All of my shirts have a top pocket, where I keep my mobile and passport when travelling. My wallet is on my person too containing a CC (with a spare in another place!) and I don't carry much cash - most of us (except the poor Iranians) can use an ATM almost anywhere in the world or pay with a CC. I also carry a USB memory stick in my pocket with presentations and work docs for the next few days. I always take my carry on bag inside the taxi with me.

I once had my carry on bag stolen at the downtown check in at Central in Hong Kong - but was still able to travel and borrow a notebook at my next destination (Manila) and make presentations etc. - hence my precautions. Incidentally I reported the stolen bag to the police and much to my surprise there was a message when I checked in at the hotel in Manila from the Wan Chai police that they had recovered my bag and my computer was still in it! It appears that a small gang steals your bag, takes out anything of value like cash (I lost about $200 in odd currencies) then dumps the bag in about 2 minutes. They do this all day in various places in the city. Computers are too hard to cash in.

Why would you carry $4000 cash with you ? So stupid .

Because in Thailand you need cash to pay the police. Would you be interested to know that living in Isaan I am stopped on average 3x a week, for no traffic infractions, everything in order, yet they demand money.....

More than the 100 Baht note that is behind my license which I hand them. The last time it was 300 Baht they wanted...for nothing. I tell them no money 100 Baht only.

Two or three weeks ago, there was a similar story - Thonburi? - about a Thai passenger having that happen. She went to the police, they "investigated" but I don't remember any followup.

Seems as if followups are always few and far between.

Hope they catch this scumbag. From the sketchy details in the article it would appear to be a pre-meditated crime. If the victims picked up the taxi from the metered taxi desk on (I think) level one at Suvarnhabumi then the desk despatcher would have details of the driver and vehicle and the victims would have a copy. This is what the 50 baht charge is for.

On a positive note I mislaid a holdall containing passports, birth and marriage certificates and 6.5k sterling in cash (I know.. I know). Anyway, when I realised the loss I retraced my steps to find a noodle shop which we'd dined in earlier but which was closed because of the fear of trouble from Yellow Shirt thugs at the time in Silom. There was a phone number on the shutters which my wife called. 2 minutes later the shutter went up 30cm and a hand passed my holdall out and slammed the shutter before I could reward them . All was intact and untouched.

In fairness, the English language media do report the good news stories of honest taxi drivers and other public workers.

• Like 2