Thailand is Not Quite the Hub of World Traffic Fatalities

MrBrad

At 38.1 deaths per 100,000 people it's #2. The Dominican Republic is #1.

A shocking 73.5% of those deaths in Thailand involve motorcycles. According to the World Health Organization's 2013 study, poor countries account for 50 percent of the world’s road traffic, but 90 percent of the traffic fatalities. Road accidents will soon become the fifth leading cause of death in these countries.

Most European countries reflect the lowest numbers. Why is that?

Here's more information with a world map for comparison: http://pulitzercenter.org/projects/roads-kill-traffic-safety-world-health-organization-united-nations-fatalities-pulitzer-center-reporting-interactive-map-data-visualization

Hate to spoil a good Thaibashing thread:

BUT according to WHO the number for Thailand per 100.000 people is 19.6 ! thumbsup.gif

Worldaverage is 20.8

Did WHO have the updated figure of up to 26k road fatalities per annum, instead of the previous Thai govt figures of around 11k p.a.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

• Like 2

Why is that? Law enforcement...

This - for sure.

But I also see a cultural difference. There is no law that says I must stop and let a pedestrian cross the street in the middle of a block between crosswalks. But I do and so do most around here. That pedestrian is actually breaking the law but no one will just run over him.

There is no law that requires me to wait and let someone exit a driveway when the traffic on the street is packed and the car is having a hard time getting a chance to enter the street. But a lot of people will give that driver a break and wait.

There isn't that "every man for himself" attitude in the West, except in the biggest cities with the terrible rush hour traffic jams. (I would never live in a place like that when there's no need to.)

There's something about the Thai culture that I don't understand when it comes to roads and queues and such. It's seems kind of "me first" to me.

You think that "me first" is confined to driving?

• Like 2

This - for sure.

But I also see a cultural difference. There is no law that says I must stop and let a pedestrian cross the street in the middle of a block between crosswalks. But I do and so do most around here. That pedestrian is actually breaking the law but no one will just run over him.

There is no law that requires me to wait and let someone exit a driveway when the traffic on the street is packed and the car is having a hard time getting a chance to enter the street. But a lot of people will give that driver a break and wait.

There isn't that "every man for himself" attitude in the West, except in the biggest cities with the terrible rush hour traffic jams. (I would never live in a place like that when there's no need to.)

There's something about the Thai culture that I don't understand when it comes to roads and queues and such. It's seems kind of "me first" to me.

Elaborate please.

OK, good. The WHO confirmed what we already know just by being in Thailand. It is the second most dangerous place in the world to drive a motorcycle.

See the article I sent to Thai Visa about 3 weeks ago. Thailand is no longer number 1 for world's worst road safety.

Another article in Thai Visa yesterday stated that Thailand has 20 times more accidents (of all kinds) than Western countries.

This no doubt is due to attitude, and all the other factors starting with no earthed power, multiple steps up and down the interior of Thai homes, and also, most people here walk on the roads with their backs to the traffic. We were taught at school to ALWAYS face the traffic when walking on the road.

I remain totally at a loss to understand why Thais and Indonesians will not wear a helmet when out with their bikes at night. It's almost as if they only wear a helmet to avoid a fine in the daytime.

• Like 1

This - for sure.

Elaborate please.

I'll do it for him. Have you ever tried to become part of an orderly queue to get on a bus or a train?

Don't...!

Just join in the melee with everyone else...!

• Like 2

I don't really care what the statistIcs say, you can always find conflicting information. What is very clear to me is that roads are very dangerous and that there certainly more accidents and deaths here then back in the UK. I have been living and working in the Pattaya area for a little over 1 year now and I have seen 3 dead bodies with my own eyes in just the Pattaya area.. Of course there were many more deaths that I didn't see.

The driving license is almost just given away with little in the way of testing really. You don't even have to go out on the road with an instructor.

Also, the mentality of drivers is very much "me first". For example, when you are driving down the road and someone is getting ready to pull out in front of you the consideration is almost certainly "if i pull out can he/she perform an emergency break before hitting me?",, in the UK it is more, "can I pull out safely without endangering everyone./"

OK, good. The WHO confirmed what we already know just by being in Thailand. It is the second most dangerous place in the world to drive a motorcycle.

See the article I sent to Thai Visa about 3 weeks ago. Thailand is no longer number 1 for world's worst road safety.

Another article in Thai Visa yesterday stated that Thailand has 20 times more accidents (of all kinds) than Western countries.

This no doubt is due to attitude, and all the other factors starting with no earthed power, multiple steps up and down the interior of Thai homes, and also, most people here walk on the roads with their backs to the traffic. We were taught at school to ALWAYS face the traffic when walking on the road.

I remain totally at a loss to understand why Thais and Indonesians will not wear a helmet when out with their bikes at night. It's almost as if they only wear a helmet to avoid a fine in the daytime.

Because they understand wearing a helmet does not stop accidents.

"... Also, the mentality of drivers is very much "me first". For example, when you are driving down the road and someone is getting ready to pull out in front of you the consideration is almost certainly "if i pull out can he/she perform an emergency break before hitting me?",, in the UK it is more, "can I pull out safely without endangering everyone./"

Not only is the thinking in the UK and other western countries often about not endangering others, I would bet that there's a good deal of politeness and consideration for others that also enters into the decision making. (Road rage being the great exception.)

This - for sure.

Elaborate please.

Where shall we start? How about elevators and the queue in 7-11?

• Like 1

Makes sense to me.

Thailand probably has the most tourists who have no experience with a motor bike much less riding in a country where the most enforced law is wear a helmet. Speed and drunken driving seem to be OK

This - for sure.

Elaborate please.

biggrin.png Is it so hard to imagine what he's getting at? How long have you been here? Do you stay home all day with the doors and windows bolted up?

• Like 2

I don't really care what the statistIcs say, you can always find conflicting information. What is very clear to me is that roads are very dangerous and that there certainly more accidents and deaths here then back in the UK. I have been living and working in the Pattaya area for a little over 1 year now and I have seen 3 dead bodies with my own eyes in just the Pattaya area.. Of course there were many more deaths that I didn't see.

The driving license is almost just given away with little in the way of testing really. You don't even have to go out on the road with an instructor.

Also, the mentality of drivers is very much "me first". For example, when you are driving down the road and someone is getting ready to pull out in front of you the consideration is almost certainly "if i pull out can he/she perform an emergency break before hitting me?",, in the UK it is more, "can I pull out safely without endangering everyone./"

on top of this and the obvious bikes with out helmet thing. what gets me is if you are driving down the road and have a the correct braking distance between you and the car in front, someone always tries to cut in on the inside and nip into the space. forcing you to keep defending your space like a stupid game, edging up to stop them doing so . which side-tracks your attention and leads to accidents when the traffic does suddenly stop.

Run down lorries, cement trucks and 12 tonners, with inadequate brakes overloaded and speeding, often burning through lights on the change or several seconds after, or overtaking in built up areas is the other thing that makes me cringe & could be so easily resolved.

See the article I sent to Thai Visa about 3 weeks ago.   Thailand is no longer number 1 for world's worst road safety.

This no doubt is due to attitude, and all the other factors starting with no earthed power, multiple steps up and down the interior of Thai homes, and also, most people here walk on the roads with their backs to the traffic.  We were taught at school to ALWAYS face the traffic when walking on the road.

I remain totally at a loss to understand why Thais and Indonesians will not wear a helmet when out with their bikes at night.   It's almost as if they only wear a helmet to avoid a fine in the daytime.

Because they understand wearing a helmet does not stop accidents.

? Who thinks wearing a helmet stops an accident?

Most accept that wearing a helmet can prevent a major head injury if you happen to have an accident.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

"... Also, the mentality of drivers is very much "me first". For example, when you are driving down the road and someone is getting ready to pull out in front of you the consideration is almost certainly "if i pull out can he/she perform an emergency break before hitting me?",, in the UK it is more, "can I pull out safely without endangering everyone./"

Not only is the thinking in the UK and other western countries often about not endangering others, I would bet that there's a good deal of politeness and consideration for others that also enters into the decision making. (Road rage being the great exception.)

Disagree. The thinking in the west (particularly the USA) is we have to obey traffic laws or we will get fined to the tune of hundreds of dollars, assigned demerits, insurance rates go up, etc. And if it's for drunk driving, we risk possible jail time, loss of license, etc. It's fear of the law. That's it, and that's all.

And even with these possible ramifications, we still have problems in America with speeding, drunk driving, etc.

BUT according to WHO the number for Thailand per 100.000 people is 19.6 ! thumbsup.gif

Worldaverage is 20.8

Did WHO have the updated figure of up to 26k road fatalities per annum, instead of the previous Thai govt figures of around 11k p.a.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

Compulsory wearing of helmets would cut the road deaths dramatically but it must be strictly enforced not just a tea money exercise also the overloading of the motor cycles 3 even 4 on one bike is downright stupid bike are designed for the maximum of two people. I know all the freedom to ride as I want will be moaning but stupid people sometimes have to be protected from themselves, we got used to wearing seat belts easy enough when driving a car it is just basic common sense to protect the most vunerable part of your body. I got my first bike at 17 and I am now 65 in that time i had two bad accidents [ not my fault ] and the helmet saved me both times the damage too the helmet would have been to my head

I drive up and down Sukhumvit most days. Yesterday I had to dodge 2 kids on 1 bike, doing a wheelie, in heavy traffic, in the middle of the 2 "fast" lanes, 1 with a leg in plaster, 1 with an arm in plaster. Day before I had to run over a piece of a tuk tuk that had been destroyed doing a u-turn. 5 km later had to hit the brakes hard to avoid issan lady blindly driving straight across the road without a care or thought in the World. I could go on....

On the bright side, it does make the journey more interesting.

The Discovery Channel documentary/series "Don't Drive Here!" is quite amusing is you have some spare time...!? You can see the Bangkok episode here. The first episode in Delhi is funny too - the procedure to get a driving license in India is even easier than it is in Thailand!

There is a long list of things that makes Thailand a dangerous country to drive in; especially on a moped/motorbike with no helmet!

I think a lack of education (not just in driving skills, but across the board) has got to play the largest role in the high number of crashes on the roads here though...? People just don't seem to be aware of what they are doing wrong? Or if they are, they don't want to admit to it... whistling.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Worldaverage is 20.8

Yes, that brings Thailand with 41 per 100.000 (63 Mill people) near the podium. sad.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

But I still like to drive here, a bit freely! Without the Police fear in me same in EU! rolleyes.gif

"Most European countries reflect the lowest numbers. Why is that?"

Stricter driver training/education and a much more tougher testing regime before handing out a Full licence ? Thats my theory anyway !

AND even more important!

Much tougher and tighter methods of enforcing the law and harsh punishment, financially and loss of license, extended times!blink.png

Austria, Germany that is!