Where has all the beer gone ?

chris2004

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first visited Thailand with my wife back in 86, I thought Thai beer was pretty good. Now all these years later, even the premium brands in Thailand, when compared with what's available now on the world stage, are just mediocre at best.

If I have any big gripe, it's with the Thai liquor laws, where I can buy a bottle of beer at only certain hours of the day to bring back to our hotel room. It wasn't always this way.

Best supermarket has put up their prices already. LEO before was 46 baht a big bottle, now 54 baht. That is an 18% increase in prices!facepalm.gif

LEO at the wholesale outlet was sold in HDY for 495 THB the box or 41,25 THB/bottle. The new price is 552 for a box or 46 THB/bottle. Thus the tax increase is 4.75 THB per bottle (630ml)

The single big bottle price at Best Supermarket was 46 Baht, now it is 54 baht, that indeed is an 18% increase.

Today I bought a box of 12 big bottles of LEO from the Wholesaler in soi Yume near Big C Extra. The price was 610 baht. Previously it was 495 baht for a box of 12. Buying that box bulk has gone up a staggering 23%.

I couldn't get any beer in Pattaya, had to come to Udon Thani for family reasons, a box of Leo was 575 baht last night, previously 480 baht.

That is roughly a 22% increase, scandalous stuff

It's probably due to the government's beer pledging scheme, introduced after the huge success of the rice pledging scheme. Posted Image

correct!

Heard yesterday from someone in the know that Boon rawd (the producers of Singh and Leo) stopped production since the tax hike.

There are talks today with the excise department. We are holding our breath...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Makes sense about the brewers halting production. From a BKK Post article:

Sudhabodi Sattabusya, a senior vice-president of Boonrawd Brewery, the producer of Singha products, said the new calculation is unfair because even though the producers pay the excise tax, the wholesalers set the prices used in the calculation. "We have no idea how well a wholesaler manages his costs. If he's not very good at it, we'll have to pay more based on whatever he quotes. That way, how can our products be more competitive in the market?" said Mr Sudhabodi.

So if the Wholesalers get creative with their calculations, the brewers would pay higher excise taxes and possibly see a decline in their margins.

However there is still hope- the brewere could sell below cost, then make it up on volume. Yeah, thats the ticket whistling.gif

Guess I'll have to make do with my stash of Coronas, Carlsbergs, Budweisers and Hoegaardens.

'Bud'....?..cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

You stick to your Leo's. I'll drink, my Euro beers

You think Budweiser and Corona are Euro beers?

You truly know nothing about beer.

Really, this is the 3rd time. Can any of you read??

The history of brewing in České Budějovice (Budweis, Kingdom of Bohemia) dates back to the 13th century, when the city received the brewing rights.[2] The original Budweiser Bier or Budweiser Bürgerbräu (Czech:Budějovický měšťanský pivovar), was founded here in 1785. The company began exporting to the United States in 1871.[3][4] In the U.S., Anheuser-Busch started using the Budweiser brand in 1876 and registered it two years later.

A second company (now named Budvar) was established in 1895 in same town by mainly Czech brewers, which also started exporting beer under the name Budweiser (being the German way of referring to something from the city such as a beer, while "Budějovický" means the same in Czech). These exports into the US market led to the Budweiser trademark dispute. Negotiations between the three companies, the two from the original town and the American Anheuser-Busch, about using "Budweiser" reached an agreement in March 1938 that allowed Anheuser-Busch to use the brand "Budweiser" only in North America.[5]

After the fall of communism, both local breweries tried to secure rights to traditional names.

Does that help, or do you need to get your set of crayons out?

kurnell, I got get my set of crayons out:

That may be true for Europe.

But on Nov.18,1994, Anheuser-Busch International Inc. and Bangkok distributor, Thai International Products Co. Ltd., launched Budweiser in Thailand.

ST. LOUIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 18, 1994--Anheuser-Busch International Inc. and Bangkok distributor, Thai International Products Co. Ltd., today announced the launch of Budweiser, the world's largest- selling beer, in Thailand.
Anheuser-Busch International Inc. is a subsidiary of the parent company, Anheuser-Busch Companies Inc. and is responsible for the company's foreign beer operations and for exploring and developing beer markets outside of the United States. Its activities include contract and license brewing exports, sales, marketing and distribution of the company's beers in foreign markets, as well as equity partnerships with foreign brewers. With sales in more than 65 countries, Anheuser-Busch International is the leading exporter of beer from the United States, accounting for about 43 percent of all beer exports.

ref: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Anheuser-Busch,+Bangkok+distributor+launch+Budweiser+in+Thailand.-a015875746

So I think the Wikipedia statement, "that allowed Anheuser-Busch to use the brand "Budweiser" only in North America." isn't quite correct. Since the Thai agreement occurred in 1994 and the agreements mentioned in Wikipedia occurred after 2006.

burp.gif

Edited by BB1950

kurnell, I got get my set of crayons out:

That may be true for Europe.

But on Nov.18,1994, Anheuser-Busch International Inc. and Bangkok distributor, Thai International Products Co. Ltd., launched Budweiser in Thailand.

ST. LOUIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 18, 1994--Anheuser-Busch International Inc. and Bangkok distributor, Thai International Products Co. Ltd., today announced the launch of Budweiser, the world's largest- selling beer, in Thailand.
Anheuser-Busch International Inc. is a subsidiary of the parent company, Anheuser-Busch Companies Inc. and is responsible for the company's foreign beer operations and for exploring and developing beer markets outside of the United States. Its activities include contract and license brewing exports, sales, marketing and distribution of the company's beers in foreign markets, as well as equity partnerships with foreign brewers. With sales in more than 65 countries, Anheuser-Busch International is the leading exporter of beer from the United States, accounting for about 43 percent of all beer exports.

ref: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Anheuser-Busch,+Bangkok+distributor+launch+Budweiser+in+Thailand.-a015875746

So I think the Wikipedia statement, "that allowed Anheuser-Busch to use the brand "Budweiser" only in North America." isn't quite correct. Since the Thai agreement occurred in 1994 and the agreements mentioned in Wikipedia occurred after 2006.

burp.gif

In fact my point for Forrest Gump and his buds was that the beer I was drinking was a European beer and not a yank beer.

• Like 1

Just popped in the local Family Mart (Soi 12 Pattaya Klang), and there's NO BEER at all!!!

Went round to the 7/11 nearby and there's very little left on the shelves (even less after my visit).

Just wondering how long this, "shortage" is set to last?