Harmonica/Mouth Organ: anybody teach it in CM?

bucklt

Don't need no stinkin' lessons. here's what you do:

1.) Listen carefully to the great masters---Sonny Terry, Charley Musselwhite, Little Walter, Shaky Jake, Norton Buffalo, etc.

2.) Buy a bunch of cheap harmonicas from the guitar shop at Kad Suan Kaew.

3.) Inside every Hohner Silver Star harp is a simple chart explaining how to blow straight or cross. (They left out "3rd position", but that's too advanced for you now.)

4.) Play any simple blues number through your headphones, and muck around until you find the right key harp..

5.) A good tune to start with, very simple...listen to John Lennon playing harp on "Love me Do".

6.) Jimmy Reed has some real basic tunes, too.

A quote to remember, from the Great Ringo: "Ya gotta pay yer dues if ya wanna (play or sing) the Blues, and ya know it don't come easy!"

Chok dee.

PS: Start with a C harp. Also good to have is G, D, A, E, Bflat and F. Don't buy a Chromatic, until you learn with a cheap old ten hole Diatonic. It is much too hard for a beginner, and doesn't easily yield that blues sound everybody digs. Unless you want to play jazz styles or Stevie Wonder type stuff. They're also mucho expensive.

The man u should contact is Dave Toussaint - he lives in or near CM and I once had a lesson from him, but me being so useless only had the one. He's well known internationally and plays regularly around CM as far as I know. See:

His contact details are on the page and I think he has a Facebook page but just Google his name. If youare into blues, he has many contacts in CM as the Blues scene there is small and well connected.

There is a great show, "John Lennon's Juke Box" where they interview Bruce Chantrell and his harp player. Beatles were third on billing of that tour I think. John asked to be shown how to play harmonica from player. His reply something like "It's kind of like oral sex. You just get in there and do it and you'll figure it out."

ho dear were to start? first do you have a good ear? most harp players play by ear some read but they are mainly chromatic players ok dont buy a cheap harmonica! it wont last and it will sound dreadfull its not like your paying£1500 for gibson les paul so £30 will get you a lee osker get one in c or d that is concert c or d then rather than listen to the greats try to play things like god save the queen alabama on my knee or any thing you want i know its a ball buster but it will make you familer with were the notes are and after a wile you will know were to blow and were to suck the best advice you have had thus far is you tube there are some super clips warning dont go to the advanced clips start at the first page then finish the book! i have tried to teach people but it is a very personal instument you get 100 harp players and they would all sound differant so buy your self a lee osker most of the top players are useing them and just keep at it good luck oh yea ringo only got in to the beatles becouse he had a new kit!!!! if not for the talent of john and paul he would not have lasted 5 mins buddy rich he was not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the privilege of seeing the great Sonny Terry perform (with his buddy, Brownie McGhee) twice, and he was playing good old Hohner Marine Band. The way he romped, I'm sure he blew them apart quickly. To be sure, the Lee Oskar is a great little instrument. But for a beginner? You can go on ebay and buy a set of Johnson Bros. Blues harps in every key for the price of one Lee Oskar. They sound pretty damn good, too....for a while.

I can't imagine the Beatles without Ringo. He wasn't Buddy Rich, or Gene Krupa, but he kept the beat, and the girls all dug him because he was so cute 'n ugly. He's still touring and rocking, with a great band. But we were talking about harps and harp masters. Forgot to mention Paul Butterfield. (RIP)

• Like 1

One thing I regret in my life is not learning to play,over the

years I have bought umpteen of these things hoping to bend

a few notes like Howlin Wolf, but sadly I don't have a musical

bone in my body! some people have it,others just listen.

regards Worgeordie

Not knowing how to play, I was always flummoxed by the "fact"? that you had to stick your tongue into little square "holes" and block the air, or block the air in more than one and blow through one hole...or two at once....

I tried this just as an exercise and couldn't figure it out at all.

How does this actually work?