Tropical depression is bringing heavy rain to Thailand

webfact

WEATHER
Tropical depression a mixed blessing

The Nation

30215158-01_big.JPG?1379546187604

BANGKOK: -- Flooding a possibility, but dam levels getting a needed boost, officials say.

A tropical depression is bringing heavy rain to Thailand.

The Meteorological Department has forecast that downpours, some heavy, will hit several areas in the country's northeastern and eastern regions during the next few days.

Authorities are preparing to prevent - or at least ease - flooding.

Water Resources Department deputy director-general Sirichai Kunanopparat yesterday said flood-prone areas in the lower Northeast could face inundation.

"We have kept water pumps on standby. If the flood hits, such devices can help," he said.

So far, Sirichai said, the rain brought by the tropical depression had brought some benefits. He explained that it would add water to dams.

"The water levels at Lam Phra Phloeng and Lam Takhong dams, for example, are between 27 and 30 per cent of capacity only," he said.

He even suggested the depression would bring more benefits than flood risks.

Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi, who also heads the Water and Flood Management Commission (WFMC), reckoned the rainfall during the current period would determine whether the country would face floods or drought.

"The coming depression is the first storm to affect Thailand this year," he said.

Plodprasop said if no more storms hit at around the same time, the coming depression should help the country by boosting the volume of its stored water.

Hydro and Agro Informatics Institute director Royol Chitradon, who also heads a WFMC subcommittee, said the panel had worked with various agencies to prepare efficient drainage of water in towns and cities - especially in Bangkok.

Ready to push out water

He said boats were now positioned at strategic locations along the Lad Phrao Canal, as their engine propellers could be used to facilitate the flow of water into the sea.

"We will also use the boats in some other canals such as the Thawi Watthana Canal," he added.

On flood risks, Royol expressed concern for the Chaeng Watthana, Huai Khwang, Sukhumvit and Srinakharin areas of Bangkok.

"We are now working with agencies in a bid to improve Bangkok's water-drainage capacity," Royol added.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Amorn Kitchawengkul said to reduce flood risks during the rainy season, the water level in Bangkok's Bang Sue Canal was now 80 per cent lower than the mean sea level.

He expressed confidence that the Bangkok Metropolitan Administra-tion would be able to efficiently respond to floods.

BMA deputy permanent secretary Sanya Chenimit said if the rainfall was about 60 millimetres, any floodwaters on road surfaces would be drained within three hours.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-19

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Deputy Bangkok Governor Amorn Kitchawengkul said to reduce flood risks during the rainy season, the water level in Bangkok's Bang Sue Canal was now 80 per cent lower than the mean sea level.'

How much is 80% under sea level? Can somebody please explain?

Mean sea level is the half way point between high tide and low tide. I suppose he is referring to this value minus 80%.

• Like 1

At Pimay1, post #2.

"He said boats were now positioned at strategic locations along the
Lad Phrao Canal, as their engine propellers could be used to facilitate
the flow of water into the sea."

It is obvious that you are not 'a believer'.

• Like 2

I had my house flooded for weeks in 2011 , since that , nothing has been done around my area beside all the promises .... yes I admit , government promises are typical . we still wonder , following the news , if we should bring upstairs again everything .... its like having a Damocles sword over the head all the time and its boring .

This will miss Chiang Mai and north Thailand as it travels through Esan and the central portion. The weather here in Chiang Mai has been sunny and beautiful the past 2 days and same this morning.

We have been lucky here so far Lamphun has had flooding

Hurrah!......... my very favourite Thai politician, Professor Plod, is back to brighten up our day as only he can! biggrin.png

Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi, who also heads the Water and Flood Management Commission (WFMC), reckoned the rainfall during the current period would determine whether the country would face floods or drought.

He's certainly covered all the bases with this ridiculous statement. Of course, that means whatever the outcome, his warning was spot on...!

• Like 1

'Deputy Bangkok Governor Amorn Kitchawengkul said to reduce flood risks during the rainy season, the water level in Bangkok's Bang Sue Canal was now 80 per cent lower than the mean sea level.'

Mean sea level is the half way point between high tide and low tide. I suppose he is referring to this value minus 80%.

Dem boats gonna need some F big propellers to be counteracting all that seawater coming through at anything greater than "80% of mean sea level"...seas are pretty mean...!

"He said boats were now positioned at strategic locations along the Lad Phrao Canal, as their engine propellers could be used to facilitate the flow of water into the sea."

I was hoping they had silently killed this idea to avoid further embarassment (and waste of fuel), but apparently not. I take it that Hydro and Agro Informatics Institute director Royol Chitradon is not an engineer :-D

• Like 1

I guess he means if the canals were filled 4x more with water, then they would reach sea level.

• Like 1

Oh, my, where do these people get educated? Water-pushers? Boats to push the water to the sea? Are there truly any hydrologists or any other experts that do reside in Thailand? Why do these people not get educated by the Dutch that deal with below-sea-level structures all of the time? Oh, my.......

If this is the first tropical-depression to hit Thailand so far this year, what of the flooding that already occurred in the NE? Where did that water come from? We lost the dikes at our farm a month ago due to rains. First time in forty-years that this has occurred. Tell the folks in Sakon Nakhon province that their rains and floods were a figment of their imaginations. Oh, my.....

• Like 1

This will miss Chiang Mai and north Thailand as it travels through Esan and the central portion. The weather here in Chiang Mai has been sunny and beautiful the past 2 days and same this morning.

Yeah and they expect snow in Greenland. Do you really want to cheer up the people prone to be flooded up to their necks with your post? Try again...

FORUM ADVISOR'S

Would it be time now to setup a flood watch site.

We now that the info provided here is better and more current than what we get from authorities

whistling.gif

From Lam Lukka. Water is about a foot from going over the sides n a few areas. As long as they leave thegates up north closed we are good but you know that will not happen

Having surveyed 10 years for a Drainage District on the SE Texas Gulf Coast, I understand many of the difficulties of drainage, especially where you have high tides etc. No matter how good your drainage system is, whether gravity as our district was or pumped by massive pumps as an adjoining district (much of it was at or below sea level) was, if the Gulf was up, the water couldn't go. As the rice farms went out of business and subdivisions were built people couldn't understand why they had a flood problem, ah duh-why do you think the rice paddy was there in the first place? Our district implemented massive flood plans, some of the projects will take as long as 5 years to complete, that did and will lower the flood levels, but when the Gulf is up that water still has no place to go. From casual observation, flood control in Thailand is sorely lacking and there seems to be no planning for the future, understatement!

Edited by sgtsabai

Right... here we go again then. Somewhat off-topic, but I'd like to ask, is there such a thing as a 'light downpour'? How can rain that is pouring down, be light? This is in reference to what the journo wrote: The Meteorological Department has forecast that downpours, some heavy... "

Oh and one more thing - in a country that puts saving-face above everything else, it is hugely surprising to see that despite their best efforts to look good, they continue to embarrass themselves.

"He said boats were now positioned at strategic locations along the Lad Phrao Canal, as their engine propellers could be used to facilitate the flow of water into the sea."

Did I miss an article that announced a competition to find the biggest pillock?

• Like 2

Now let us if they have LEAREND ANYTHING from pass flooding,

Mu guess would be that they have learned very little, if anything...

How to distribute the compensation handouts from last time..............friend of mine told me NO ONE in his area had received anything EXCEPT the local Mayor who got 80k,