Thailand: Same-sex marriage on the horizon

webfact

I would speculate that it has little to do with civil rights and more to do with wanting to attract the pink dollar and to be seen as being gay friendly.

You think people will marry each other to spend more money here? - Seriously, I cannot understand how this would not be related to civil rights.

I suggest everybody ignore Jingthing, he is just a grumpy old man who cannot see progress if it hits him in the face. Sad. coffee1.gif

Actually on this very thread, I said this:

A Thai same sex civil union law which I can assure everyone will NOT be 100 percent equal to Thai marriage will represent a great civil rights victory for Thai gay people.

Again, on the topic, if you really believe this will mean 100 percent equality to marriage, then present your facts. Hint: immigration law.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

I suggest everybody ignore Jingthing, he is just a grumpy old man who cannot see progress if it hits him in the face. Sad. coffee1.gif

A Thai same sex civil union law which I can assure everyone will NOT be 100 percent equal to Thai marriage will represent a great civil rights victory for Thai gay people.

Again, on the topic, if you really believe this will mean 100 percent equality to marriage, then present your facts. Hint: immigration law.

Thank you for the red font. I might have missed your message without it.

Again, on the topic, it is progress. As I said, you cannot see it. Sad.

Thank you for the red font. I might have missed your message without it.

Again, on the topic, it is progress. As I said, you cannot see it. Sad.

It is progress. I said so CLEARLY. I don't appreciate your obnoxious ploy of making this into your personal insult schtick. Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

I would speculate that it has little to do with civil rights and more to do with wanting to attract the pink dollar and to be seen as being gay friendly.

You think people will marry each other to spend more money here? - Seriously, I cannot understand how this would not be related to civil rights.

When your older you'll understand why some of us get a little skeptical. It's just not in my nature not to give credit where credit is due!

You may be right, but in my experience, Thailand has always been more into appeasement rather than actually respecting rights.

I hope you are right, though.

LOL! I may be a spring chicken compared to you guys, but I don't believe that any country would introduce gay marriage or civil union purely for tourist dollar reasons.

Firstly, tourist won't come here to marry, it will be locals among each others, or locals with expats.

Secondly, it must be supported by the local society, otherwise the government wouldn't get away with it. This is where I see the most progress.

I agree. It's not about tourism. However, I do think the possibilities get better for this in Thailand because a number of other countries have done it. Thailand's people might like to say they aren't influenced by international trends but don't believe it. They are. Thailand would have never been the first country to do this. But now it is almost "normal" for countries that aren't exceedingly theocratic.

Edited by Jingthing

LOL! I may be a spring chicken compared to you guys, but I don't believe that any country would introduce gay marriage or civil union purely for tourist dollar reasons.

Firstly, tourist won't come here to marry, it will be locals among each others, or locals with expats.

Secondly, it must be supported by the local society, otherwise the government wouldn't get away with it. This is where I see the most progress.

We'll see when they start having the first underwater gay wedding in the world. They will probably try to have the most simultaneous gay weddings etc., etc..

• Like 1

I agree. It's not about tourism. However, I do think the possibilities get better for this in Thailand because a number of other countries have done it. Thailand's people might like to say they aren't influenced by international trends but don't believe it. They are. Thailand would have never been the first country to do this. But now it is almost "normal" for countries that aren't exceedingly theocratic.

Yes, we do agree.

We'll see when they start having the first underwater gay wedding in the world. They will probably try to have the most simultaneous gay weddings etc., etc..

You think so? I'd think Korea is the country with the most mass-weddings, the Thais aren't really into superlatives.

But they are innovative, so let's see what comes out of it.

• Like 1

Such laws on civil rights would set the standard for the rest of asia - a true leading role for Thailand - one of the few.

Yes, well done to Thailand.

BUT, sadly, I don't see same-sex marriage or civil unions happening in most of other Asian countries; not any time in the near future anyway.

Edited by JemJem

Such laws on civil rights would set the standard for the rest of asia - a true leading role for Thailand - one of the few.

Yes, well done to Thailand.

BUT, sadly, I don't see same-sex marriage or civil unions happening in most of other Asian countries; not any time in the near future anyway.

I would hold the "well done" comment after same-sex marriage has actually been implemented.

• Like 1

Agreed 100%, OTM.

While some may like to attribute ulterior motives to those backing this bill I just can't see them in Thailand's case, even though they could well apply elsewhere.

No-body and no political party stand to gain any popular votes over gay marriage or to be seen as more "liberal" or progressive - all the parties seem to be equally for / against / don't care about the bill (mainly the latter), so its certainly not a vote winner for anyone.

Thailand's already well up there as far as being gay friendly and attracting the pink dollar is concerned, both with "regular" gay tourism, gay sex tourism, and gay retirees. Even if there were any evidence that gay marriage attracts the pink dollar (and as far as I know there isn't any) if this were a motivator it would be a very risky gamble due to the very real possibility that due to a lack of interest the bill won't have the support needed to get debated in Parliament and passed; that could attract a lot of attention and make Thailand look "gay unfriendly" and lose the pink dollar.

So if I marry Thai Bruce, and tell them that I take on the female role in this civil union, will I be able to retire with Bruce, legs up in the air, with all of the rights that females of the species are

entitled to when married to a Thai guy? Well bend me over and call me shiela, cause here I come Bruce....Oh, and I'm bringing my wife as well....cheesy.gif

you obviously have no idea what makes a gay couple , still the same stupid idea of one having a female role and the other being the man... grow up man, your homophobia is not really welcome here. And please avoid a statement telling " I was just kidding"

Such a touchy precious lot.....No....I wasn't kidding.....not at all. My inference and satirical approach was aimed fair and square at the inequalities of our visa conditions, where my rights as a male marrying a Thai don't come close to that of a foriegn female marrying a thai male. So where does this then put those entering a civil union, and imagine some of the varied applications and then possible legal implications that may face the government in relation to civil unions and visa applications. The gay movement is very strong, and they have some hard hitters in the legal fraternity that would love to stir the pot and test civil union visa implications

regarding civil unions and partners rights. Get a life and see through the satire. I don't care if your homosexual, heterosexual, or an alien sucking on a grapefruit.

"The gay movement is very strong, and they have some hard hitters in the legal fraternity that would love to stir the pot and test civil union visa implications

regarding civil unions and partners rights."

In Thailand, as has been discussed at some length before, the "gay movement" is close to minimal - the vast majority of the population (and the vast majority of Thai gays) simply don't care about this issue as evidenced by the problem of the bill's supporters getting the 10,000 signatures needed to support it before it can even be put to Parliament. As I am sure you know marriage rights for visas, etc, are minimal (no residency, no nationality, etc) so its simply not a big deal and the various other "rights" that go along with marriage in Thailand (inheritance, hospital visitation, NOK, etc) are already available here in other ways for those who are not formally married.

As for who is the "female" and who the "male", your posing a question that doesn't apply. A foreign man is a foreign man, whether he's married to a woman or has a civil union with a man; its as simple as that.