What are the zebra crossing in Bangkok made for?

upinthesky

Since cars never make a stop or slow down for people to cross. I was almost hit by a car when crossing the zebra and I didn't realize there was a car coming in the left direction. If you stay at Sukhuvmit you know what I mean. Plenty of taxi and cars coming in and out of soi and don't give a damn about the crossing lane.Shouldn't they limit the amount of taxi in Bangkok, they are overly saturated.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are for pedestrians and the cars will stop if there's enough of you crossing. Much of the problem is the placing of them in the middle of long stretches of road where the cars will boot it, although as agreed, most will ignore them no matter where they are

It's very dangerous to stop for people at a zebra crossing. My boss did it once and 2 kids crossing the road were hit by a motorcycle on the inside. I've stopped in the past and very nearly caused a serious accident with a car coming past me on the inside. Adapt to the ways here for your own safety. Similarly, crossinga busy road with lots of motorcyclists, it's best to not stop and start to see where they are going - let them see you moving at a constant velocity and avoid you. If you do things that you do in your own country, you will cause confusion.

Zebra crossings are an indication to pedestrians as where to congregate and wait for a gap in the traffic.

You're spot on with the tactics of crossing the road at a constant pace and letting the bikes dodge you. I've spent many an afternoon in a roadside bar on 2nd Road Pattaya watching the fresh off the boat tourists do the stop/start run/walk routine. Funny as a fight.

However, it's twice as much fun in Hanoi. There's a major intersection with 6 roads entering a huge open expanse of roadway where at any one time you might see 200+ assorted vehicles and as many pedestrians trying to negotiate their way in every direction imaginable. Just sitting in a 2nd story restaurant and watching it was a cheap night's entertainment.

The first time I lived in China I quickly adapted to tagging onto a group of locals that were trying to cross the busy street. I got in the middle of them and basically just walked at the same time they did, without daring to look at the traffic.

In BKK I just wing-it.

I was used to cars stopping for zebra crossings as a young guy.. then once i moved to Amsterdam i thought to do the same..... bad mistake they did not stop there almost killed myself. Might not be as bad as here... but its bad everywhere. not just Thailand.

Everyone knows that the zebra crossings are there to make pedestrians easier targets. Especially since they are mainly used by newbies who think they are to let pedestrians cross the street. The vets who dodge and weave outside the zebra crossings are way too hard to hit.

• Like 1

I believe in Thailand the zebra crossing simply says pedestrians are allowed to cross the road here, and the solid lines on the roadway should indicate to traffic that it should avoid changing lanes near the crossing.

But no - the traffic won't stop, unless it's a school group of kids or something similar.

Everyone knows that the zebra crossings are there to make pedestrians easier targets. Especially since they are mainly used by newbies who think they are to let pedestrians cross the street. The vets who dodge and weave outside the zebra crossings are way too hard to hit.

Exactly, line them up and make easier targets of them.

I believe in Thailand the zebra crossing simply says pedestrians are allowed to cross the road here, and the solid lines on the roadway should indicate to traffic that it should avoid changing lanes near the crossing.

But no - the traffic won't stop, unless it's a school group of kids or something similar.

Actually no ... your not entirely correct about that.

The Thai drivers will stop ... but it's a group consensus.

Was on Sukhumvit Rd this week at the junction with Soi 33.

One Thai wanted to cross, then 3, then 5 ... when there were about 7 of them, one brave soul started, the group followed and ALL the traffic stopped.

Seen this many times in Thailand.

I had similar experiences throughout Thailand.

I think that zebra crossings in Thailand are the work of a sadist who envisages them as target practice zones.

Alternatively, they could be designated places are easy to identify through Google Maps where the Ambulances need to collect from.

That said ... the only time that I say someone push his (or her) luck was a Farang in Hua Hin who was trying to show his Thai gf that there were indeed Zebras in Thailand. She really tried to hold onto his shoulder (awaiting the appropriate crossing time) ... but he shrugged her off and continued on his way.

He got half way across before running the other half ... leaving his gf stranded and alone on the other side of the road.

She was less then impressed.

I doubt he got lucky that night ... rolleyes.gif

Actually no ... your not entirely correct about that.

The Thai drivers will stop ... but it's a group consensus.

Was on Sukhumvit Rd this week at the junction with Soi 33.

One Thai wanted to cross, then 3, then 5 ... when there were about 7 of them, one brave soul started, the group followed and ALL the traffic stopped.

Seen this many times in Thailand.

I had similar experiences throughout Thailand.

Like gnu crossing the mara river lol

They're to warn drivers of pedestrian lights. If there are no lights, you're on your own.

Rubbish !!!

There's numerous zebra crossings all over LOS without traffic lights. Lights or no lights, traffic rarely stops.

But yes, you are correct.... you're always on your own.