What are the zebra crossing in Bangkok made for?

upinthesky

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's very dangerous to stop for people at a zebra crossing. My boss did it once and 2 kids crossing the road were hit by a motorcycle on the inside. I've stopped in the past and very nearly caused a serious accident with a car coming past me on the inside. Adapt to the ways here for your own safety. Similarly, crossinga busy road with lots of motorcyclists, it's best to not stop and start to see where they are going - let them see you moving at a constant velocity and avoid you. If you do things that you do in your own country, you will cause confusion.

Zebra crossings are an indication to pedestrians as where to congregate and wait for a gap in the traffic.

Yes, just like sidewalks or footpaths are there for pedestrians to share with motorcyclists. TiT.

I used to ask the very same question when I lived in Sydney.

Read this earlier... Thought it sounded off (very, very wrong, tbh)...

So, I went decided to walk to the shops this arvo.... :) Used 4 Zebra Crossings... Every single time I got to it, people stopped...

I also work in Sydney CBD< use Zebra's multiple times a day... Would be months since the last time a person did not stop... Been this way for 15 years ive found..

Frankly... I am calling our your post as complete bull sh|t

Hardly anybody cares, but according to driving rules, drivers have to stop for pedestrians crossing...

I've Thailand Driving License...because of the fineprint among the clauses of the Thailand vehical insurance policy that say no claim if do not have Thailand Driver License ! (Internationl DL only allow you to drive but can't claim in the event of a road traffic accident.)

Thailand Highway Code is a joke, i got my driving license within 6 hours passing theory and practical test. Best of all that isn't a single book/booklet of highway code available for purchase or even issue.

You think Zebra Crossing is a tough one ? Wait till you get stuck in a "Round About" - They wait in the circle for you to move in ! cheesy.gif ( ignorant to the right of way)

In Singapore you will be fine and demerit points deducted for not stopping at the Zebra Crossing when there is a pedestrian waiting to cross. "Fine City" remember ? tongue.png

Edited by RedBullHorn

Hardly anybody cares, but according to driving rules, drivers have to stop for pedestrians crossing...

I've Thailand Driving License...because of the fineprint among the clauses of the Thailand vehical insurance policy that say no claim if do not have Thailand Driver License ! (Internationl DL only allow you to drive but can't claim in the event of a road traffic accident.)

Thailand Highway Code is a joke, i got my driving license within 6 hours passing theory and practical test. Best of all that isn't a single book/booklet of highway code available for purchase or even issue.

You think Zebra Crossing is a tough one ? Wait till you get stuck in a "Round About" - They wait in the circle for you to move in ! cheesy.gif

In Singapore you will be fine and demerit points deducted for not stopping at the Zebra Crossing when there is a pedestrian waiting to cross. "Fine City" remember ? tongue.png

Of course the highway code is available in book-form, i have even seen a English version but many Thai versions for sure. So your post is BS ... funny actually considering your name. I also have seen the Thai highway code online in English.

They are for pedestrians and the cars will stop if there's enough of you crossing. Much of the problem is the placing of them in the middle of long stretches of road where the cars will boot it, although as agreed, most will ignore them no matter where they are

Italian system. One person will hardly damage the car. Many people crossing together could scratch the paint, so better to let them cross.

I think the law says that cars should stop at the crossings, but as we all know Thais just don't follow these kinds of rules.

This is because priority is dependant on how much money you have. A Mercedes driver will not give way to a pick up driver and a pick up driver will not give way to a cyclist. Almost no one thinks he should give way to a pedestrian since they assume that those people who are walking cannot afford to buy a car and therefore are considered to be low class and therefore must give way to the wealthier drivers.

You think Zebra Crossing is a tough one ? Wait till you get stuck in a "Round About" - They wait in the circle for you to move in ! cheesy.gif

Of course the highway code is available in book-form, i have even seen a English version but many Thai versions for sure. So your post is BS ... funny actually considering your name. I also have seen the Thai highway code online in English.

Do you have a TDL ? I have. English or Thai version, please show me. BS or not, proof your point...and your point exactly in regards to the "funny considering my name."

Side note: It was really a joke - year 2006

Edited by RedBullHorn

Zebra crossings in Thailand are meeting points for pedestrians.
Never cross a street alone in the hope the cars and motobikes will stop for you!
Better wait for more people and then cross the street in a big pedestrian group together.
Every thai driver knows that a single pedestrian is flyspeck.on the windshield.
But if he hit a big group of pedestrians on a zebra crossing, then he could be in deep shit.
Depends on his relationships.
Some high so people can drive here 150 km/h on Bangkok streets, stoned, kill people and nothing will happend to them.

Unfortunately in the drivers mind, only poor people are pedestrians.
So who cares.

Edited by tomacht8

I think the law says that cars should stop at the crossings, but as we all know Thais just don't follow these kinds of rules.

This is because priority is dependant on how much money you have. A Mercedes driver will not give way to a pick up driver and a pick up driver will not give way to a cyclist. Almost no one thinks he should give way to a pedestrian since they assume that those people who are walking cannot afford to buy a car and therefore are considered to be low class and therefore must give way to the wealthier drivers.

Sad but true I feel, though many of us who do not own cars have enough money in the bank to buy the majority of cars we see on the roads if we so wished, no car just means I don't need one and nothing else....

Anyone who needs coloured lights or some stripes on the street to tell them when to cross the road probably shouldn't be allowed out in public alone.

I cross where I want to cross and when I want to cross by using my own eyes, ears and judgement.

It certainly isn't rocket science.

I think that zebra crossings in Thailand are the work of a sadist who envisages them as target practice zones.

Exactly. They are designed to trap the FARANG and line them up for the young man from Redbull to take aim at them when he isn't too busy chasing Policemen or flying to Singapore for the Grand Prix (Maybe he'll present the prize.... Grand PRIX that is!)

• Like 1

When I went to school,we were always taught that pedestrians have the right of way,and no more so than crossing on a Zebra Crossing. If you were never taught this simple rule,then small wonder,that cars have the right of way,and make you leap out of the way,because you can't argue with a lunatic behind the wheel,unless you have a death wish?

It's very dangerous to stop for people at a zebra crossing. My boss did it once and 2 kids crossing the road were hit by a motorcycle on the inside. I've stopped in the past and very nearly caused a serious accident with a car coming past me on the inside. Adapt to the ways here for your own safety. Similarly, crossinga busy road with lots of motorcyclists, it's best to not stop and start to see where they are going - let them see you moving at a constant velocity and avoid you. If you do things that you do in your own country, you will cause confusion.

Zebra crossings are an indication to pedestrians as where to congregate and wait for a gap in the traffic.

"Zebra crossings are an indication to pedestrians as where to congregate and wait for a gap in the traffic"

Surely not? if that is the case then it defeats the whole object i.e what's the point of a Zebra Crossing,if it is left to the drivers whether to stop or not. And how long must the Pedestrians be expected to wait? and in particular someone alone must have to wait,and supposing it's a very long time?

The idea of a Zebra Crossing is to inform drivers that a Pedestrian wants to cross the road and has the right of way! so indicating to the driver be prepared to give way/stop.

If on the other hand the driver doesn't have to give way to the Pedestrian?then it's pointless having Zebra Crossings there in the first place.

In the UK if someone steps onto the Zebra Crossing the oncoming car is expected to stop,(again pedestrian right of way) if someone was to be knocked down whilst attempting to cross on a pedestrian Zebra Crossing,and was knocked down,and worse killed the Pedestrian,the driver of the vehicle,he/she would be up for a serious manslaughter charge,involving a heavy Jail Sentence!

Of course if people are ignoring the true objective of Zebra Crossings,then it comes down to Law enforcement!

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

Last time I was in London I was standing at a zebra crossing waiting for the cars to pass and they were stopped waiting for me to walk.

As they rightly should do. "Pedestrians have the right of way",no ifs or buts,if you are driving,force your way through at your peril!

I have been hit by car in Sanam Luang on zebra crossing when a bus stop then a taxi just hit and run away, as the bus block the view .

But I still think Thai drivers still the polite person without much using honk .Zebra crossing only use when the traffice slowing down don't don't cross when it fast. it's a Kamikaze!

Legally, pedestrians in a zebra crossing have the right of way.

Practically however, the right of way only exists if it is given by all of the vehicle operators.

Unfortunately, here in LOS, it is seldom given to fewer than four pedestrians.

Realistically, when you consider the motorcyclists and Thai driving habits in general, you're risking your life nearly as much by just standing still on the sidewalk.

I've lived here 15 years and have only been hit once (by a taxi, which I stepped in front of to prevent it hitting a pregnant woman - the driver could see me but not her - and was then only bumped gently).

My advice? If there's a footbridge, use it. Remember, the steps you save might be your last. If you must cross through the traffic, use the zebra crossing. Look right, left, then right again. Then walk out slowly and steadily when there's space for the vehicles in all lanes on your side of the street to safely come to a stop. Keep walking steadily. Never run across. Don't stop or step back once you've started out. Don't look at the cars, but rather watch where you're going. Otherwise, you may confuse the drivers and become a target.

Edited by Kabayo66
  • Like 1

Ahhh yes I know all about BKK zebra crossings...pure frustration, even run over crossing one last year by a motorbike.

But hey the footpaths arnt much safer either, wonder if anyones ever been hit with hot oil from the sideway chefs? ive coped a face full of chilli fumes passing a few times now.....

Fighting for space on the footpath, bullied by motor cars coming out of parking lots or supermarket carparks or those motorbikes clipping your ankle as the wiz pass....yes recall it well.....its a lot worse living in the burbs than down town.