Apple TV

Banzai99

I bought an Apple TV yesterday as an impulse buy.

Was surprised to see no native apps in the UI, except

Apple Events

ITunes Festival

Qello

Crunchyroll.

I expected a few more choices or am I missing something, I have an iPad and iPhone that I can stream content from, and can play you tube from my i Devices, but I had always assumed the Apple TV had its own You tube App and others.

Am I missing something obvious, or are these services unavailable outside the US ?

These services can be used in Thailand - I bought my Apple TV in the uk and I have access to netflix, etc

I also have linked my iTunes Store to my uk account so I get the uk store and not the Thai store - can't remember the settings I used and I can't check right now as I'm at work but have a look around and see if there is a location setting that you can set to 'USA'

Hi,

Yes it all depends on where you iTunes account is from. I have a US iTunes account and I get all the services , icons that I would as if I am in the US.

Also, you need to be on a dedicated network, you can't be on a shared network of a building. I learnt this when I first moved here a year ago, since then the managers of my condo have installed dedicated routers to each condo and now everything works as it should.

Worth looking into.

I hope this helps some.

• 2 weeks later...

I moved to a new apartment with free wifi and TV. What is a dedicated network?

My iTunes account is in Germany. Will I get only German stations?

One more question: How much is it and where to buy in Bkk?

Sorry I forgot, the question is about AppleTV

Edited by prepress

Hello prepress,

A dedicated network means that you have your own router inside your condo. Apple recommends not less than 6 Mbp's Broadband connection.

I am also on the German iTunes store. Although I do not have an Apple TV.

But on my iMac and iPhone I do have all the German content and English. So I guess on an Apple TV there will be no difference???

for example: I search for the Breaking Bad Seasons. I can buy them in English or German versions.

Check this out: http://www.apple.com/de/appletv/

Viel Glueck!

Lammbock

Edited by Lammbock
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does it matter where we buy the device? or can we use an asia one, and sign in to UK itunes and view netflix Sky news etc?

The AppleTV you can buy anywhere and use anywhere, your AppleID is set to UK, so you will see the UK content, even while in Thailand.

But to watch the content (while here in Thailand) like netflix and Sky news etc you will need a VPN service.

• Like 1

Does it matter where we buy the device? or can we use an asia one, and sign in to UK itunes and view netflix Sky news etc?

The AppleTV you can buy anywhere and use anywhere, your AppleID is set to UK, so you will see the UK content, even while in Thailand.

But to watch the content (while here in Thailand) like netflix and Sky news etc you will need a VPN service.

can you recomend a VPN?

can you recomend a VPN?

https://hide.io/

So if I was to buy an Apple TV in Phuket Central iStudio, then logged in using my USA iTunes account (which I already have), then do any upgrades, then reset, a Netflix icon would appear on the dashboard?

So to access Netflix content, after clicking this hopefully now installed icon, and not get their white screen of death for being out of country, I would need to activate my VPN service (which I already have also). Can the VPN settings be changed in the Apple TV settings, or do they have to be input at the router level?

I was under the impression that the USA version had to be purchased to show icons such as Netflix, MLB etc...

Many thanks for your help!

^ AppleTV doesn't have settings for setting up VPN, so you have to do that in your router.

You need to have a subscription to Netflix, MLB etc etc to be able to watch those channels.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?product=appletv

I have great VPN the only onethat out of 7or 8 I have tried has remained in service and always worked (search Crazy Frog ) I use it on my lap top but I must admit I do not know how to link to it via my router I have new apple router .. I presently link via laptop Mac book air and then mirror air play to apple TV

• Like 1

^ AppleTV doesn't have settings for setting up VPN, so you have to do that in your router.

You need to have a subscription to Netflix, MLB etc etc to be able to watch those channels.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?product=appletv

I have great VPN the only onethat out of 7or 8 I have tried has remained in service and always worked (search Crazy Frog ) I use it on my lap top but I must admit I do not know how to link to it via my router I have new apple router .. I presently link via laptop Mac book air and then mirror air play to apple TV

How do you connect to the internet ? If via ADSL which ADSL modem do you use afaik Apple doesn't make ADSL modems.

• 2 weeks later...

You must be obsessed with that Roku. Really inappropriate as an Apple TV is specially for Apple users who like to use home sharing and Airplay.

And surprise, surprise, Roku doesn't even have a YouTube channel.

Roku does it, works out of the box. No itunes.

Sweet.

Edited by sniffdog
  • Like 1

Correct, you need an router with built in VPN feature. But what the ATV makes it so great is that you can airplay your VPN device like IPad, IPhone or MAC to your HDTV.

In my opinion most of the channels are pretty worthless, only huluplus or netflix.

You cannot run VPN service from any Apple router, or many routers at all for that matter. VPN service is set up on your device. But you can't set up VPN service on an Apple TV. Your other option is:

http://tunlr.net

Free

Edited by sniffdog

For all: to get the most out of your ATV, do this: install VUZE and PLEX. Then install PlexConnect for ATV. This will connect you to all the content on the bit torrent networks and allow you to use the ATV to view content downloaded via VUZE, via the Trailers hack. Of course, if you want to subscribe and pay for content, you can always do that too.

Edited by StrandedBusinessPerson

Use trickbyte.com

Sign up, change the DNS in your ATV, whitelist your IP and watch Netflix, Huluplus in a jiffy (if you have a subscription of course).

If you look to stream your own content, install Beamer on your MAC.

Edited by sniffdog

I don't know about Netflix, but Sky News works without a VPN (at least here in the sandpit).

You cannot run VPN service from any Apple router, or many routers at all for that matter. VPN service is set up on your device. But you can't set up VPN service on an Apple TV.

Depending on your VPN subscription, if you have a DD-WRT router you can put all the details into the router and then any IP it issues will be through the VPN. This works for me with hidemyip.net

Apple recommends not less than 6 Mbp's Broadband connection.

Sky is watchable on 2Mb. Don't know about the rest.

For all: to get the most out of your ATV, do this: install VUZE and PLEX. Then install PlexConnect for ATV. This will connect you to all the content on the bit torrent networks and allow you to use the ATV to view content downloaded via VUZE, via the Trailers hack. Of course, if you want to subscribe and pay for content, you can always do that too.

Thanks for the option. Some would rather pay than steal.

Edited by HerbalEd

• 3 weeks later...