Are you happy with Bmw and Benz Thailand ?

samtab

I just paid extra to have Nevada leather instead of the non- leather material for mine.

I also invested in a seat memory function that remembers seat, mirrors, steering column, backrest settings and can be changed with the press of a button- so one setting for my driver and one for me (i drive at the weekends /trips out of town)

My vehicle has Dakota leather as standard, is that Nevada leather you mention an option ?. I assume that Nevada package is soft same as the Napa leather

I also have that memory function, I assumed that was a standard feature.

The Nevada leather was the only leather option. I'm getting the car built from scratch in california and shipping it.

Do you use the stop start function to save fuel or do you disable it. I heard it's quite distracting?

My car was assembled in Thailand, so hard to compare with the USA package

My car is not fitted with the stop start function, if it was It would never be used

The cars that do have this fitted in Thailand have a switch to let you select on/off

My engine is diesel so not interested in trying to save some fuel as the tank lasts for ages

Thanks for confirming re:stop start. Which setting do you normally use to driver-comfort, sport or eco?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F15 BMW X5.... The stop-start function is a real pain in the backside...

There is a way to code BMWs to remove this a and change other electronic features... Skill a day warranty issues may crop up though....

Coding your car won't implicate your warranty.

I thought it was easy to switch it on/off??

It is a switch, but you can code it to remember your previous settings.

I have done a ton of coding to my car.

Here is a few examples:

- Fold mirror using key

- Welcome lights using key

- Open windows using key

- Closing windows using key

- Daytime running lights

- Rear lights flashing on hard breaking

- DVD and TV in motion

- Seat belt warning off

F15 BMW X5.... The stop-start function is a real pain in the backside...

There is a way to code BMWs to remove this a and change other electronic features... Skill a day warranty issues may crop up though....

Coding your car won't implicate your warranty.

I thought it was easy to switch it on/off??

It is a switch, but you can code it to remember your previous settings.

I have done a ton of coding to my car.

Here is a few examples:

- Fold mirror using key

- Welcome lights using key

- Open windows using key

- Closing windows using key

- Daytime running lights

- Rear lights flashing on hard breaking

- DVD and TV in motion

- Seat belt warning off

Impressive!

Thanks for confirming re:stop start. Which setting do you normally use to driver-comfort, sport or eco?

I think Issan Farang drives a E90, and don't have those functions available.

May I ask how much you paid for your CBU car?

Yes I have the E90 M Sport and there is no sport/eco selection on my vehicle.

I think Issan Farang drives a E90, and don't have those functions available.

May I ask how much you paid for your CBU car?

It was around 170,000US$ partly paid by my employer!

Recently got myself a Mercedes GLA which also has a stop start function. Can easily be turned off. Don't know why people irritated by it as I barely notice it. Whether it saves fuel is anybody's guess

The GLA looks nice. I think Benz has really stepped up on their design lately. The only thing is that the entertainment screen looks out of place. BMW does a better job integrating it into the rest of the interior.

I have friends that have nothing but positive things to say about their cars and service from Chonburi BMW. I was discussing with a salesperson at a car show recently and the dealer was extending the warranty one additional year, from 5 to 6 years. MB was still 3 years, just like my Toyota.

i can confirn Nelson Autohaus Chon Buri is very professional, friendly and good service. Never had problem in the rain, wonder where this story comes from.

I have used both Europe and German Auto and they are pretty good overall. My only gripe is with small sensor issues from the car that pops up here and there. Service is pretty costly compare to Porsche actually, I found that Porsche spare parts are a lot cheaper than BMW. Other than that staff at both dealers that I dealt with were pretty nice and courteous. Follow ups were prompt, did not have to wait long for service or spare parts.

My 520 diesel was the most reliable out the 3 cars I've own. Service tech said its because diesel engine runs cooler hence less problems. I have yet to have a single problem with my 520d from the past 4 years. Whereas my 3 and 7 were full of sensor/diff/gearbox problems. Problems always occur when warranty ends. My 7 had transmission issues and the dealer wanted me to change the whole thing or some part for close to 200,000 baht. Luckily my friend knew the owner of one of the dealers and he was able to take a look at it and replace the part with a used one for something along 20-30,000 baht. BMW requires you to change the entire part, damn greedy bastards.

Next car will probably be a mercedes, previously I did not look at mercedes because part support was lacking and it takes up to a month to service a car, but these couple years they have improved their network and service is no longer an issue. But I heard parts do cost a little more than bmw.

Recently got myself a Mercedes GLA which also has a stop start function. Can easily be turned off. Don't know why people irritated by it as I barely notice it. Whether it saves fuel is anybody's guess

The GLA looks nice. I think Benz has really stepped up on their design lately. The only thing is that the entertainment screen looks out of place. BMW does a better job integrating it into the rest of the interior.

I'm not impressed with that tablet style screen either, I thought they were just doing it to differentiate the cheap models from the high end models but then they did it to the refresh CLS.

I'm not impressed with that tablet style screen either, I thought they were just doing it to differentiate the cheap models from the high end models but then they did it to the refresh CLS.

Opinion divided on this but they have persevered with the tablet screen. You certainly get used to it and some people certainly think it makes it quite classy. Not really a game changer but most owners on the GLA Forums are happy with the design

I notice it... for example: I pull up to a junction, and a millisecond before I drive into the available gap in the traffic the engine turns off, then immediately has to re-start as I drive off... This or very similar 'off-on' situations happens enough to becomes irritating because I feel its unnecessary.

I would much rather an option to have it 'permanently' disabled.... each time I get back in the car I have to remember to disable the stop start function.

I notice it... for example: I pull up to a junction, and a millisecond before I drive into the available gap in the traffic the engine turns off, then immediately has to re-start as I drive off... This or very similar 'off-on' situations happens enough to becomes irritating because I feel its unnecessary.

I would much rather an option to have it 'permanently' disabled.... each time I get back in the car I have to remember to disable the stop start function.

Thats possible, at least with BMW. You can simply 'code' it. Ask the dealer, or even better ask one of the numerous tuning or customization shops. On the BMW you can have default OFF, or default Remember Last setting.

• 1 year later...
On 1/20/2015 at 4:47 AM, Scotssing said:

In BKK traffic jams it doesn't save fuel and it wears out the battery. It's more suited smooth driving/traffic light/smooth driving type environments (which can be the case in Thailand but not often). Also it would be nice if it stayed off, when you turn your car off then back on again it's back on. I drive a 2011 CLS250 CDI (UK import) and it's on its second battery already which is already nearing the end of its life. Also with diesels it's more noticeable.

My real complaint is the active lane keep assist and active blind spot assist. Sometimes you need to inch out of your lane to give buffering room to motorbikes in the hard shoulder, my car won't have any of that, if I try it'll beep then go straight back in. This is not too bad cause you can turn it off.

The blind spot assist is a nightmare when other drivers merge in so close or motorbikes filter in so close it beeps and brakes hard. If you turn it off you lose the passive blind spot assist.

Then there's the pre-safe braking - every time a motorbike or car cuts me off, this thing beeps and slams on the brakes. If I'm using distronic the braking will shut that off too which makes distronic useless in BKK. This can be turned off thankfully.

On 09.02.2014 at 11:25 AM, liddelljohn said:

My thai Property developer pal Meechai is very wealthy man and was educated in USA , but he has had so many quality and electronic issues with his last 3 new Benz he uses a Vigo pickup most of the time , he does not loose face as its a works vehicle but he keeps his benz for family outings and important business meeting , he jokes its like a white elephant and a waste of money but gives him prestige .with Thais and his wife is happy .

I eat a hamburger at a fastfood and it's better than a juicy steak ..:smile:

ha ha..

bulshirt story..

not lose face?

seriously? had 3 new benz but use VIGO,....

ha ha

On 29/9/2559 at 1:34 PM, wprime said:

In BKK traffic jams it doesn't save fuel and it wears out the battery. It's more suited smooth driving/traffic light/smooth driving type environments (which can be the case in Thailand but not often). Also it would be nice if it stayed off, when you turn your car off then back on again it's back on. I drive a 2011 CLS250 CDI (UK import) and it's on its second battery already which is already nearing the end of its life. Also with diesels it's more noticeable.

My real complaint is the active lane keep assist and active blind spot assist. Sometimes you need to inch out of your lane to give buffering room to motorbikes in the hard shoulder, my car won't have any of that, if I try it'll beep then go straight back in. This is not too bad cause you can turn it off.

The blind spot assist is a nightmare when other drivers merge in so close or motorbikes filter in so close it beeps and brakes hard. If you turn it off you lose the passive blind spot assist.

Then there's the pre-safe braking - every time a motorbike or car cuts me off, this thing beeps and slams on the brakes. If I'm using distronic the braking will shut that off too which makes distronic useless in BKK. This can be turned off thankfully.

I think your description of all these new fangled "safety" features in new vehicles shows how useless (and downright dangerous) much of it can be in Thailand. These systems are not calibrated (and probably can't be) for the driving conditions found in congested Third World countries. They may work fine in developed country road conditions but not here.

I drive a 15 year-old CRV, with none of these features, and have no problem getting around. I prefer to drive the old-fashion way of keeping my own eyes alert to road conditions and hazards, thank you.

On 9/28/2016 at 0:25 PM, DavisH said:

What are the service / parts costs for Benz C class like, when compared to say, a  new honda accord? I know the accord would be cheaper, but by what factor? 

can't answer your question pertaining to C-Class but to give you an idea about Benz parts. my 3 year old CLS needed a new main battery. Benz price 24,000 Baht, no name price 6,800 Baht. :whistling:

Very happy with the service at Benz Pattaya. Very helpful and tried very hard to locate the info and options I wanted. Less happy with the fact that my new car has now been delayed until the new year due to some issue with CBU imports. Bu99er !

4 hours ago, ardokano said:

I eat a hamburger at a fastfood and it's better than a juicy steak ..:smile:

ha ha..

bulshirt story..

not lose face?

seriously? had 3 new benz but use VIGO,....

ha ha

Why a BS story....?

Some UK members of Parliament go to Westminster on bicycles, leave the Merc at home, is that BS...?...

1 hour ago, Pdaz said:

Very happy with the service at Benz Pattaya. Very helpful and tried very hard to locate the info and options I wanted. Less happy with the fact that my new car has now been delayed until the new year due to some issue with CBU imports. Bu99er !

you are not talking about service.

37 minutes ago, Naam said:

you are not talking about service.

I was talking about "customer service". Not, "mechanical service"

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that if my car isn't delayed further the servicing will be up to standard.

8 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

I was talking about "customer service". Not, "mechanical service"

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that if my car isn't delayed further the servicing will be up to standard.

any sales[wo]man will render an excellent customer service to a potential or, in your case, decided buyer. the actual and important service is how long you wait for a minor repair to be done.