Transferring Ownership Walkthrough

MaxwellsDemon

Nice right up. I always insist on the owner present to cut the red tape & chance of a hustle.

2 copies of recipient's work permit ID page (or proof of residence, available from Embassy - also might take time)

Quote: 2 copies of recipient's work permit ID page (or proof of residence, available from Embassy - also might take time)

You can go to immigration to get residency certificate 200 baht & got to be a hell of a lot quicker than the embassy in BKK.

I hope it goes smoother for you. It normally takes a bazillion copies. My newer 650 Kawi they sent me to get copies twice & the owner 3 times. I had 3 sets of every copy I have for Thailand including every blank page in my passport & they still wanted more. That is why I insist on the owner being present. One small problem & they can hold up the paperwork.

Good Luck!

Nice right up. I always insist on the owner present to cut the red tape & chance of a hustle.

2 copies of recipient's work permit ID page (or proof of residence, available from Embassy - also might take time)

Quote: 2 copies of recipient's work permit ID page (or proof of residence, available from Embassy - also might take time)

You can go to immigration to get residency certificate 200 baht & got to be a hell of a lot quicker than the embassy in BKK.

I hope it goes smoother for you. It normally takes a bazillion copies. My newer 650 Kawi they sent me to get copies twice & the owner 3 times. I had 3 sets of every copy I have for Thailand including every blank page in my passport & they still wanted more. That is why I insist on the owner being present. One small problem & they can hold up the paperwork.

Good Luck!

These offices / officers can be helpful (they often are) but you can also strike the dragon lady from hell.

Two years back (at car rego time) I decided to transfer the ownership name from my name to my Thai adult son's name. My son did the research and went with a bag of documents including a statement / power of attorney signed by me. He also took my passport and my permanent resident book, my Thai lifetime drivers license and more.

He was confronted by the dragon lady from hell:

- Initially she said she would not allow car ownership to be transferred to a mixed name (first name typical Thai, family name typical farang name), she claimed it was illegal to have a mixed name.

Son always takes copy of his personal documents because he's had this before and if needed shows his Thai passport, politely mentioning that if it's illegal how come his passport has a mixed name. And as further backup he can produce passport copies for his Thai wife and two kids, all have mixed names.

Transport office dragon lady refuses to accept this point and says passport office don't know the law.(Note: no language barrier, adult son speaks reads writes perfect Thai and perfect English.)

- Dragon lady then demanded that there should be an immigration arrival card in my passport. When you have Permanent Resident status (PR) you don't have immigration arrival cards. My son understands all of this very well but dragon lady totally refused to listen.

- She claimed that my PR book was a fake because there is no such thing in Thailand and she told my son she would rip it up. Son quickly took the book back and refused to hand it back to dragon lady.

- Dragon lady now says she's going home because it's past her work time. Son takes back all personal documents but dragon lady has kept the application form.

- Early next morning son gets a phone call from a man from the transport office, who says he was listening to the conversation the previous afternoon. He tells my son that dragon lady is sick, probably away for several days. Also tells my son to come back very quickly and he will process the transfer within the same day.

- All done with several apologies from the young man who got it all completed and several of his embarrassed colleagues..

But, can you meet obnoxious public service staff anywhere in the world? YES!

like said before; make the officiers at the information which are checking the docmuent your friends and everything will be alright. Had a great help from one today at Mochit DLT transfer owner, changing colour, tax and insurance renewal all done in about 2 hours.

When I did the paper work at Chiang Maiit sure seems a lot easier than what you are doing. I bought a new PCX150 but it came registered in Lampang and in the name of the shops owner, even though they had all of my required paper work. I decided enough with these clowns I will do myself with the help of girlfriend. Off to office for motorcycles in Chiang Mai. We first had to change the location of registration from Lampang to Chiang Mai the lady put all of the info into the computer and said come back in three days girlfriend has to work ok see you next week same day ok no problem. We went back the following week and completed the registration into my name and inspection of bike then told to call a number in Jan to see if plate had arrived. I was given the green book and tax certificate. Called in Jan. plate is in went and picked up no problem.

List of needed paper work.

1. My passport and copies signed by me also arrival card and copies..2.Transfer papers and copy of registered owners ID. card.3. Certificate of residency from immigration. That was all of the paper work needed

All in all efficient and professional

Agree with KRS1 entirely. Right across from the DLT any of the copy shops do this type of service. I have heard they got some pretty whacked up paperwork pushed through where the usual Farang is down the road motors talkin to himself - while they have inside contacts. Everyone is a cousin of someones cousin. I heard (this is in Pattaya area) a farang got his bike pushed through & Re- green booked taxed & insured for 2000 baht. Must have been more wheels to grease to get it to float. He neglected to re-register within the 3 year period so the crushed his green book. If you know the right person working the computer in the logistic dept, not hard to postdate to 2 years 11 months & pay the appropriate fine for neglecting to reg. He was not in Thailand for a while & it was not high on the list to come back to re-register or get someone to do it. Even in Hawaii I knew people within the DMV that for a fee would push through problems(No forged numbers or anything that serious but just pain in the ass things) EDIT: Of course for a small donation to the Aloha party time(tea money)

And with the service all you do is wait & they do everything & just hand you the paperwork all done . No Que Not even for them! I would use this even on a smooth bike purchase without kinks just to avoid the usual shuffle. Most likely would not even need the usual inspection just the papers to be signed off. Myself if it is 5 years old I don't want it anyway due to the hassles & I like fuel injection now over carbs.

Edited by Beardog

Hmm, can't edit my original post on my iPhone (currently computerless) so here's my update:

So Monday morning I returned to the DLT, and despite my best efforts, got there at about 8:45. Seems like Monday is a very slow day, though, as it was still rather empty, much to my delight. Walked in and handed my remaining stack of papers บาto Mr. Information (no kind lady today) and got a number and told to go to counter 21. Waited a bit, handed my stuff over again and then happily paid the lady 305 baht for... Another tax/insurance sticker. I didn't have to pay the insurance counter again, this lady's counter is labelled "relocation something" in Thai, but I now have two tax squares... And I notice my old one has my old license plate number. A quick note from a friendly English-speaking fellow-in-waiting tells me they're all taxes and stuff but different taxes... Have to figure this one out.

Anyway, 305 baht later, I'm sent over to trade my old license plate in for a new one. So bring a wrench or screwdriver if you need one to change your plate.

Note: I'm not sure if plate changing is for the reregistration in a different province or if it's standard for all new owners - anyone care to clarify?

I didn't however have the necessary tools and just put on my sadface, and the guy complied and just gave me a new plate instead.

Drove out with shiny new plate (in my backpack...) and green book with my name. Whoo!

Mission complete.

You got a new plate cause the registration districts changed if the registration remains in the same district you can keep the current plate

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks for the information!

A couple of months ago I went to the Mor Chit office with the owner to buy his car. Without exception, despite my bad Thai, ever single person I dealt with was pleasant and helpful. I'm sure there are bad apples working there, but they must be relatively few.