More than 80 elephants poisoned by cyanide in Zimbabwe

webfact

Zimbabwe elephants poisoned by cyanide

HARARE: -- More than 80 elephants have been killed for their ivory by poachers who used cyanide to poison a water hole in Zimbabwe's largest game park.

Tourism Minister Walter Mzembi confirmed the toll on Tuesday after touring Hwange National Park.

Wildlife department officials said the chemical also killed smaller animals and predators which feed on them.

Nine poachers were arrested after rangers tracked them to a cache of ivory hidden in the park.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-24234927

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2013-09-25

Holy $%@# @#$!!

Killing them by forcing them to drink their poison would be too soft, they should be tortured to death during months!

Oh yeah, too quick, make it take a long long time, 20 years in Zimbabwe jail is death sentence, and that is just. Very very sad.

Sad news. Blame Elephant camps in Thailand. They must have some hand in this at some level right?

@Milt: Why do You think that? just curious....

Because of the fact that Thailand still allows ivory trade of those elephants. So its easy to mix it up with illegal ivory ? Its not like Thailand is without corruption.

Sad news. Blame Elephant camps in Thailand. They must have some hand in this at some level right?

Because of the fact that Thailand still allows ivory trade of those elephants. So its easy to mix it up with illegal ivory ? Its not like Thailand is without corruption.
@robblok: of course, I know about corruption everywhere, but it is new to me that the Trade is legal, I remember that Last Monte or so, a huge amount of Ivory was seized at Suwarnabhumi... i simply so not understand what the camps should have to do. with it... i can only talk about the camps in KC, which I visit frequently and they treat the animals well... we Even have a sanctuary camp here... but anyway, interesting and shocking to get to know. it makes me very sad., 80 precious animalis ... Greed everywhere... I do Not have much hope for human race and Spur Feelings for generations to come... Edited by TinaKohChang

@robblok: of course, Knowledge about the corruption! But it is new to me that the Trade is legal, I remember that Last Monte or so, a huge amount of Ivory was seized at Suwarnabhumi... i simply so not understand what the camps should have to do. with it... i can only talk about the camps in KC, which I visit frequently and they treat the animals well... we Even have a sanctuary camp here... but anyway, interesting and shocking to get to know. it makes me very sad., 80 precious animalis ... Greed everywhere... I do Not have much hope for human race and Spur Feelings for generations to come...

Thai ivory is legal (as far as I know) So sometimes the African Ivory that is not legal gets Thai papers (corruption). So in a way by allowing Thai ivory to stay legal its easier to move African Ivory. I believe that some of these busts are just for show and a lot of African Ivory gets Thai papers. I seen a documentary about it. The camps would not like it if the ivory was outlawed as they loose income. Just like the camps are not happy now that all elephants have to be registered. There is a good reason for that.. its not all as nice as it looks.

• Like 1

Poisoning elephants!! - the people who do it are absolute scum, in my view.

However, I've been all over east (and west) Africa, and most of the local people I meet do know that they should protect the amazing wildlife in Africa.

So why are these local people poisoning elephants, and rhino etc etc? Maybe something to do with the Chinese belief that these items are powerful 'kharma' and so these Chinese offer mega-money for ivory/rhino tusks, etc?

So maybe someone will suggest getting rid of the kind of Chinese who are destroying the planet...

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay in commenting. I was being sarcastic! That is all.

Sorry for the delay in commenting. I was being sarcastic! That is all.

No problem, it seems what you said has lots of truth to it! Sad, really!