Does anyone have investments in Thai market?

Probably the best way to go about investing in Thailand is through mutual funds. SCB have quiet a few available with good fact-sheet links with the holdings.

http://www.scbam.com/v2/en/personal/fund-service.aspx

Open a SCB saving account and get a client number to purchase any of the SCB funds available. Get yourself sorted with online banking and you can buy / sell any of the funds all linked to your saving acc. You can also go to the bank and purchase by quoting the ticker.

I have recently brought a substantial amount of GBP over and will continue to do so with exchange around 50.

At the moment I have most of it parked in a couple fixed income funds at about 2-3 % income, also have a dividend paying SET Index linked and another S&P500 linked fund which gives exposure outside Thailand

I am keeping some cash on the sidelines for the next couple of weeks until the US debt ceiling fiasco but will be buying more over next couple of months.

Edited by William Osborne

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But I never posted any dream whatsoever, you see.

In real life, the principle of buy low/sell high applies to everyone equally in all kinds of business endeavors. Same game.

You talk about real life ..............that is so funny

And yet you subscribe to investing in a system which RELIES WHOLLY on stacking debt upon more debt - regarding which no one has the slightest clue when or even if it can ever be paid back?

If that's not living in a dream world I don't know what isgiggle.gif

Edited by midas
  • Like 1

In real life, the principle of buy low/sell high applies to everyone equally in all kinds of business endeavors. Same game.

And yet you subscribe to investing in a system which RELIES WHOLLY on stacking debt upon more debt - regarding which no one has the slightest clue when or even if it can ever be paid back?

LOL. Unlikely source, you. Here's your dream, a 40-year-old dream now, midas. Strangely, you haven't quoted this authority among your daily predictions of doom.

Same ol' shit. There's a sucker born every minute who'll fall for this as you have. Meanwhile, I've made a lot of money and had a good life since 1973 doing things my way. And I'll continue to do so, collecting dividends and taking profits while you're, well, waiting. smile.png Guess you must have some income from somewhere.

post-14882-0-22392800-1381056542_thumb.p

You'll want to read the full text of this very exciting (for you) article here: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1144&dat=19731125&id=j28qAAAAIBAJ&sjid=nVQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=2931,3246683.

At the end is an ad for buying gold etc. smile.png

Anyway, if you're into value investing, you can buy low/sell high in the gold market as well. Of course, dear midas, you did buy high, unfortunately, as suckers tend to do at the heights of markets. Oh--before you speak, I know--it's your security blanket, not to be confused with insurance, as you like to do.

Enjoy the hoarding, man! May it and you last another 40 years.

Cheers! smile.png

Edited by JSixpack

LOL. Unlikely source, you. Here's your dream, a 40-year-old dream now, midas. Strangely, you haven't quoted this authority among your daily predictions of doom.

Same ol' shit. There's a sucker born every minute who'll fall for this as you have. Meanwhile, I've made a lot of money and had a good life since 1973 doing things my way. And I'll continue to do so, collecting dividends and taking profits while you're, well, waiting. smile.png Guess you must have some income from somewhere.

attachicon.gifScreenshot - 10062013 - 05:40:50 PM.png

You'll want to read the full text of this very exciting (for you) article here: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1144&dat=19731125&id=j28qAAAAIBAJ&sjid=nVQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=2931,3246683.

Anyway, if you're into value investing, you can buy low/sell high in the gold market as well. Of course, dear midas, you did buy high, unfortunately, as suckers tend to do at the heights of markets. Oh--before you speak, I know--it's your security blanket, not to be confused with insurance, as you like to do.

Cheers! smile.png

Stop trying to divert from the real issue –when is the 17 trillion debt going to be paid back?

Cheers! smile.png

You still haven't explained how you determine what is high and what is low.

At 1800$ something gold was obviously high, but if it rises in the next 1- 2- 5 years to 3000$ then the same 1800$ from earlier this year is considered low.

Your dreams are a theory now connect them to the reality, and don't talk about the past because that is just cheap talk, talk about the future.

Your dreams are a theory now connect them to the reality, and don't talk about the past because that is just cheap talk, talk about the future.

sorry JBrain; only the past is reality, the future is wide open to any interpretations and opinions.

• Like 2

sorry JBrain; only the past is reality, the future is wide open to any interpretations and opinions.

But Jsixpack doesn't seem to agree with that, as he will continue to buy low and sell high because he read Graham's Intelligent Investor.

Cheers! smile.png

At 1800$ something gold was obviously high, but if it rises in the next 1- 2- 5 years to 3000$ then the same 1800$ from earlier this year is considered low.

On this issue I simply ignored him and anyway he is wrong on so many issues that it's not even worth addressing them all. coffee1.gif

But how on earth he can say I have bought high when I paid the equivalent of $937 per ounce -which is well below the production costs - is unfathomable to me?blink.png

I want him to address the issue of debt. I would like him to give his opinion as to how people would react to all these companies that he eagerly invests in if they were unable to pay their bills?whistling.gif

But Jsixpack doesn't seem to agree with that, as he will continue to buy low and sell high because he read Graham's Intelligent Investor.

may the force be with him!

• Like 1

Cheers! smile.png

hey JSixpack

you are only a “ yesterday's man “. giggle.gif

You seriously need to get up to speed with what's comingermm.gif

http://www.sovereignman.com/trends/the-real-change-to-watch-out-for-12780/

Well, me, I found I just have to fall back on the arithmetic I had learned by the 3rd grade. If the current price is less than the price I paid, then it is lower. If the current price is more than the price I paid, then it is higher.

Guess the first thing you need to do, jbrain, is to learn 'bout numbers. smile.png I guess I could write an Excel formula for you that would print "LOWER" or "HIGHER" for you in a third column.

I think you're finally onto something. This has potential; hold that thought; ponder it carefully.

And you've yet to show how anything is a dream. The reality is, in the FUTURE when the price is higher (see above definition), you sell and profit. When it is lower, you buy and lower your price per share. If the price stays flat, you collect dividends or look for a more volatile stock.

Of course, there's the important matter of selection--about which you refuse to learn anything, so you're just kinda screwed as far as investment in equities goes, and are just wasting time and webspace. Again, I just love this forum. smile.png Better just keep your money in your bank account--except midas might say otherwise.

On your part, I see merely ignorance and fear. As I've noted, since you know nothing, and won't read anything, you're not competent to discuss investing in equities. Midas's dream, now, a clinging to a naive spiritual faith, is more properly termed delusion, but what else is new? He's been around to enjoy for quite some time.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

Well, me, I found I just have to fall back on the arithmetic I had learned by the 3rd grade. If the current price is less than the price I paid, then it is lower. If the current price is more than the price I paid, then it is higher.

Guess the first thing you need to do, jbrain, is to learn 'bout numbers. smile.png I guess I could write an Excel formula for you that would print "LOWER" or "HIGHER" for you in a third column.

I think you're finally onto something. This has potential; hold that thought; ponder it carefully.

And you've yet to show how anything is a dream. The reality is, in the FUTURE when the price is higher (see above definition), you sell and profit. When it is lower, you buy and lower your price per share. If the price stays flat, you collect dividends or look for a more volatile stock.

Of course, there's the important matter of selection--about which you refuse to learn anything, so you're just kinda screwed as far as investment in equities goes, and are just wasting time and webspace. Again, I just love this forum. smile.png Better just keep your money in your bank account--except midas might say otherwise.

On your part, I see merely ignorance and fear. As I've noted, since you know nothing, and won't read anything, you're not competent to discuss investing in equities. Midas's dream, now, a clinging to a naive spiritual faith, is more properly termed delusion, but what else is new? He's been around to enjoy for quite some time.

" clinging to a naive spiritual faith "

Like people will endlessly believe in the US dollar.rolleyes.gif

A friend of mine said the other day that they wouldn't even accept her US dollars at the Thailand Myanmar border. They didn't want themcheesy.gif

Edited by midas

Everybody can talk about the past, but you still haven't answered the question how you determine when a has reached it's low.

So let's give an example about a single stock's performance over the past 13 years, there are of course hundreds if not thousands of stocks that have performed similar, but I can't be bothered to look them up.

Of course, you gonna say that you knew this stock gonna perform this way and jadajada, but just suppose you had bought this stock 13 years ago. This stock had a buy rating at that time.

It would be a long wait before you could sell higher than you bought.

post-163350-0-51108800-1381147148_thumb.

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1

A friend of mine said the other day that they wouldn't even accept her US dollars at the Thailand Myanmar border. They didn't want themcheesy.gif

Wasn't the dollar early 1980's about 3 times it's current value against almost every currency in the world?

Ofcourse Jsixpack didn't buy dollars at that time, because it must have been all in Buffet's book....................10 years after the currency lost it's value.

Wasn't the dollar early 1980's about 3 times it's current value against almost every currency in the world?

Ofcourse Jsixpack didn't buy dollars at that time, because it must have been all in Buffet's book....................10 years after the currency lost it's value.

anybody who bought long maturity US Treasury Dollar bonds in the early 80s made a killing locking into 14-15% interest.

anybody who bought long maturity US Treasury Dollar bonds in the early 80s made a killing locking into 14-15% interest.

Everybody can talk about the past, but you still haven't answered the question how you determine when a has reached it's low.

So let's give an example about a single stock's performance over the past 13 years, there are of course hundreds if not thousands of stocks that have performed similar, but I can't be bothered to look them up.

Of course, you gonna say that you knew this stock gonna perform this way and jadajada, but just suppose you had bought this stock 13 years ago. This stock had a buy rating at that time.

attachicon.giftelecom italia.JPG

that graph has the same appearance as the Nikkei after 1990

And I love Thai stocks. Guys you sell and I buy from you. Thailand is growing for the last, how many years? 50? And will continue to do so. Buy now and check your port in 5 years. You should do well.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

what about asking those who bought Thai stocks nearly 20 years ago when the SET was 1,753, checked their portfolio 4 years later and realised that the SET dropped 88% and the Baht dropped 50% what they think of "50 years of growth"?

sent on Klingonic modulated and encrypted high priority subspace frequency xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

If you had done the Walen school of investing class you would have done fine.

the US Dollar has Lost 97% of it's Value?facepalm.gif

http://www.solitudecanyon.com/thoughts-from-the-canyon/has-the-dollar-really-lost-97-of-it-s-value-

Edited by midas

Could be true, but turned out that you gave the biggest part of the interest away to the decline of the value of the dollar.

By the way, Jsixpack swears with equities.

How about this Jsixpack. As I told already in another thread, I sold the majority of my portfolio in November 2007, because I saw the downturn coming. The only equities I kept at that time were the ones on which I had a loss, as of today they are still in the negative.

I stepped back in between October 2010 and June 2011, because I thought the worst had passed. I built a new diversified US portfolio of 25 companies in different industries and sectors.I did my research, as I'm no newbie, and bought at 52 week or longer low prices. Many companies with a healthy dividend and with buy recommendations.

I made a healthy profit in the first 9-10 months, then the tide turned unfortunately. Today that portfolio trades at a 16.73% loss.

Of course if I had read Buffet that would never have happened. Not ? facepalm.gif

And I love Thai stocks. Guys you sell and I buy from you. Thailand is growing for the last, how many years? 50? And will continue to do so. Buy now and check your port in 5 years. You should do well.

what about asking those who bought Thai stocks nearly 20 years ago when the SET was 1,753, checked their portfolio 4 years later and realised that the SET dropped 88% and the Baht dropped 50% what they think of "50 years of growth"?

sent on Klingonic modulated and encrypted high priority subspace frequency xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

Walen ? Isn't that the one who published his ever rising portfolio on a daily base, but went extremely quite a few weeks ago ?

http://www.set.or.th/en/market/setindexchart.html

post-163350-0-63132000-1381166976_thumb.

Look at the graphics, anyone who knows how to read a chart sees the lower lows and lower highs of the past 6 months and knows the meaning of that.

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 2

Walen ? Isn't that the one who published his ever rising portfolio on a daily base, but went extremely quite a few weeks ago ?

http://www.set.or.th/en/market/setindexchart.html

attachicon.gifset.JPG

Look at the graphics, anyone who knows how to read a chart sees the lower lows and lower highs of the past 6 months and knows the meaning of that.

sorry, i think i'm not one of those who "knows how to read a chart"...

would you mind explaining how to see the "lower lows" & "lower highs" and what is the meaning / relevance?

Reading charts is a tricky matter. I see from this chart the market will go up. Jbrain sees just the opposite. His attitude is a typical short seller.

sorry for my ignorance - i just see a historical data series of the market index

you must be a very wise man but just in case i wish you good luck

• Like 1

Reading charts is a tricky matter. I see from this chart the market will go up. Jbrain sees just the opposite. His attitude is a typical short seller.

Now you are talking crap..... are you smoking something MacWalen ?

Edited by midas

Everybody can talk about the past

See above where I explicitly addressed the future and put the word in capital letters so you could find it. smile.png

Besides arithmetic, there's reading.

but you still haven't answered the question how you determine when a has reached it's low.

You keep changing the question. Before, it was "lower." I answered that (and a whole lot of other silly assertions) and offered you an Excel formula to help you. What thanks did I get?

Now, it's changed to "it's low." Which is not needed to know anyway--another question that simply reveals inexperience. This could go on forever, you see, while you throw out nonsensical questions and assertions in an attempt to educate yourself without doing any real work or study, wanting to be constantly spoonfed, one little spoon at a time. Screw that.

It's like this old fart German who lives nearby and asks me to fix his computer he's always screwing up. Being a nice guy, I try to help him out. So while I'm fixing his problem, he stands there and spouts all kinds of "solutions" as to HOW I should fix it. He doesn't even know what the real problem is! I explain why one point is wrong and then he throws out yet another bit of nonsense; so I explain that, and so on ad infinitum. Takes me 3 times longer just dealing with him. I finally had to refuse: rather than wasting my time, he should take a course somewhere or read on his own and learn for himself. (I've pointed you towards some excellent sources.) Or just pay a shop--i.e., a good fund manager.

Nowhere did I say a word about THE low, as it is pretty much irrelevant.

See above posts.

suppose you had bought this stock 13 years ago. This stock had a buy rating at that time.

So you put ALL your money, your LIFE SAVINGS, into that ONE low volatility stock that you knew no better than to select. At THE PEAK, of course! smile.png And then, being a Lump Sum investor, you just sat on it.

Brilliant! Fantastic example, too. Why not Microsoft--not at its low, but a year after the initial low?

Oh, the silliness. Yawn. I'm outta here. SUCH boredom.

I'll continue successfully following standard techniques laid out long ago by academics and successful investors--which certainly have worked well for me over decades--and you do the only thing you know to do, follow your personal alarm bell indicator and jump in or out according to perceived alarm strength. smile.png You should publish!

Or, you can follow midas and head for the hills. wink.png

I'm happy; I got answers to my questions long ago--from the best.

Pick up the torch, somebody. MacWalen?

Cheers! smile.png

Edited by JSixpack

See above where I explicitly addressed the future and put the word in capital letters so you could find it. smile.png

You keep changing the question. Before, it was "lower." I answered that (and a whole lot of other silly assertions) and offered you an Excel formula to help you. What thanks did I get?

Now, it's changed to "it's low." Which is not needed to know anyway--another question that simply reveals inexperience. This could go on forever, you see, while you throw out nonsensical questions and assertions in an attempt to educate yourself without doing any real work or study, wanting to be constantly spoonfed, one little spoon at a time. Screw that.

It's like this old fart German who lives nearby and asks me to fix his computer he's always screwing up. Being a nice guy, I try to help him out. So while I'm fixing his problem, he stands there and spouts all kinds of "solutions" as to HOW I should fix it. He doesn't even know what the real problem is! I explain why one point is wrong and then he throws out yet another bit of nonsense; so I explain that, and so on ad infinitum. Takes me 3 times longer just dealing with him. I finally had to refuse: rather than wasting my time, he should take a course somewhere or read on his own and learn for himself. (I've pointed you towards some excellent sources.) Or just pay a shop--i.e., a good fund manager.

See above posts.

So you put ALL your money, your LIFE SAVINGS, into that ONE low volatility stock that you knew no better than to select. At THE PEAK, of course! smile.png And then, being a Lump Sum investor, you just sat on it.

Brilliant! Fantastic example, too. Why not Microsoft--not at its low, but a year after the initial low?

I'll continue successfully following standard techniques laid out long ago by academics and successful investors--which certainly have worked well for me over decades--and you do the only thing you know to do, follow your personal alarm bell indicator and jump in or out according to perceived alarm strength. smile.png You should publish!

Cheers! smile.png

" he should take a course somewhere "

aha , you mean such as the " MacWalen School of computer repair " ?giggle.gif

okay, that is the case with just one stock but then what if you were Mr Isoroku Yamamoto and you and your wife had invested all your life savings in the Nikkei in January 1990. I keep hammering this question because neither you or MacWalen have provided anywhere near a plausible reply so far? Because you can't that is why.rolleyes.gif

which certainly have worked well for me over decades

But decades ago the whole world wasn't swimming in debt ? ( Japan' debt now 240% of GDPermm.gif )

Or, you can follow midas and head for the hills

I'm not in the hills............... but neither am I a believer in unicorns as you seem to becoffee1.gif

The above was clearly written in my post, but smartly left out by Jsixpack, to suit his silly comments.

Nobody said I, or anyone else invested their life savings in Telecom Italia. This was an ONE example out of thousands of other similar performing stocks.

Everybody can talk about the past

but you still haven't answered the question how you determine when a has reached it's low.

See above posts.

suppose you had bought this stock 13 years ago. This stock had a buy rating at that time.

Cheers! smile.png

Good that you're out of here, because it got bored of you talking in circles around the subject, and taking other members posts out of it's context, to suit your answers.

By the way I thought it was against forum rules to modify the content of another members post in your reply.

I hope those " best ones" who answered all your questions and taught you everything, weren't the same as who sold everyone their PRIME investment products in 2007 and then bet against them on the market smile.png

• Like 1