UK Immigration Appeal

Just had notification of my wife's son's appeal in January in Newport South Wales.

I had assumed thta it would have been in Feltham but wouldn't put it passed them as punishment for appealing to make it somewhere on the other side of the country when Feltham is almost just down the road and spitting distance from where I work. Can the loaction be altered?

Don't know the answer. Best to contact the office that sent out the notice. It may have been an administrative error or may be changeable.

The Ministry of Justice dept website:

http://www.justice.gov.uk/tribunals/immigration-asylum

States that there is a very high volume of appeals at the moment. It also says that appeals are being heard at a number of centres across the country. It may be that was the first slot available.

It is a different agency to the UK Visas and immigration and comes under the remit of the Ministry of Justice so unlikely to be punishment IMO.

They should have the spelling right so get that corrected as well!

Best of luck!

Edited by bobrussell

Don't know the answer. Best to contact the office that sent out the notice. It may have been an administrative error or may be changeable.

The Ministry of Justice dept website:

http://www.justice.gov.uk/tribunals/immigration-asylum

States that there is a very high volume of appeals at the moment. It also says that appeals are being heard at a number of centres across the country. It may be that was the first slot available.

It is a different agency to the UK Visas and immigration and comes under the remit of the Ministry of Justice so unlikely to be punishment IMO.

They should have the spelling right so get that corrected as well!

Best of luck!

Just realised that this is going to be big problem. I will have to travel down the day before as I need to be there 9.45. I am the sole carer for a 14 year old and there will be no way his school will grant absence from school.

I will talk with the people dealing the appeal and see if I can get this moved to London. I did see when looking at hotels that there is a passport office in Newport but I can't see this can't be done in Feltham.

If you try to get it moved you could end up pushing the appeal further in to 2014.

I'm sure the school will allow your boys absence given the circumstances.

At 14 he should be responsible enough to take care of himself.

My son used to fly to Thailand alone at that age and change aircraft en route.

If you try to get it moved you could end up pushing the appeal further in to 2014.

I'm sure the school will allow your boys absence given the circumstances.

At 14 he should be responsible enough to take care of himself.

My son used to fly to Thailand alone at that age and change aircraft en route.

Well pushing it into 2014 may be the result. Whether he is responsible enough is not the issue. It is againt the law to abandon a dependent child and I think it wrong of the British Government to expect this. I could pull him out of school for 2 days then his education would suffer. Don't forget, it was UKBA who turned down the visa and started going down this route. I have spoeken to his school and whilst they would not object they would prefer that it is moved. I am not sure I should be the one doing all the bending. There is an issue if in January he gets the visa there is proabably no point in him leaving the Thai education system before the school year end in March then may be it will be worth waiting until the start of the new UK school year in September. So a delay wouldn't really have too much impact in that repect.

A child flying alone is of course under constant supervision by the airline. A home alone child is under no supervision what so ever. I am currently thinking of getting hime here on a visitors visa to attend the hearing so he can dispute the UKBA's eveidense directly.

A home alone child is under no supervision what so ever.

Is a responsible adult or a baby sitter not an option?

Your Wife has some Thai friends in your City/Town/Village? ... maybe he could stay with them?

Mother is out of the country now. Anyway she lives 200 miles away and she wouldn't put herself to look after him.

My wife doesn't have any local friends yet. Friends she has made are not close to where I live.

My mother is 92 and lives 25 miles away.

I am not sure that I would like to impose on parents of my son's friends in this way. I don't any of them well enough to impose on them.

Child minders (in the UK anyway) don't look after children much after 5 pm. Not sure they are insured or licenced to look after kids overnight.

If there was away round this I would but can't think of anything. I hadn't expected that it wouldn't be held locally. Shows what a mess UK immigration is in.

Sorry to sound unsympathetic but this is a major, potentially life changing event so either leave him with friends (his or yours) or take him with you.

Far more important to get immigration status sorted than worry about a few days of school. The school can always sort some homework for him to do while he is absent.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I agree.

Newport is not that far away when you consider the flight to Thailand. Train,bus or car it's only a few hours and a Travelodge or similar is nor going to break the bank.

I think you'll also find there is less hassle there than doing it in London.

Frankly what's wrong with taking the lad with you?

As for suggestions that UK immigration are in a mess if you lived in Nong Khai then the journey to Bangkok would be a lot more difficult.

Edited by Jay Sata

Kevin it is up to your legal representative to initiate a change in venue. The Tribunal usually use the hearing centre nearest the representative not the sponsor. Does your legal rep even want you personally to attend to give evidence? Is there anything useful you can say? It is vital that your wife attends and her written witness statement and answers to any questions raised by your rep or the Home Office will stand as Evidence in Chief. Why not contact your legal rep to discuss the case and your problems?

Kevin it is up to your legal representative to initiate a change in venue. The Tribunal usually use the hearing centre nearest the representative not the sponsor. Does your legal rep even want you personally to attend to give evidence? Is there anything useful you can say? It is vital that your wife attends and her written witness statement and answers to any questions raised by your rep or the Home Office will stand as Evidence in Chief. Why not contact your legal rep to discuss the case and your problems?

Humm ... Cat - Pigeons ... come to mind.

Maybe a rethink, OP?

I'm afraid I agree.

Newport is not that far away when you consider the flight to Thailand. Train,bus or car it's only a few hours and a Travelodge or similar is nor going to break the bank.

Frankly what's wrong with taking the lad with you?

As for suggestions that UK immigration are in a mess if you lived in Nong Khai then the journey to Bangkok would be a lot more difficult.

I don't disagree with you or Bob said but do you have many dealings with British schools. I am resigned to taking him with me. I just hope that the court don't mind a moping kid hanging around all day.

All my friends and the wife's friends live too far from the school to make leaving him with them as an option. I could take him to my mum's but he would not be able to bet to school.

It is a gripe but had UKBA just issued the damn visa non of this would be necessary.

I have done and I am awaiting a response. Newport is nearer to my legal representative than to me but is hardly close. In fact Feltham is still closer to the legal representative than Feltham.

Not for me. If it was Feltham I could do a couple of hours work before the hearing. Leave the car in the office car park and jump a free bus for the hearing. With a bit of luck I could go and do a few hours more work.

Wow, if you can't get your spelling right on here then why are you filling in forms? Sorry mate but you do have a spell checker on here..

I've corrected the errors in your ridiculous post.

Edited by bobrussell

wow if you cant get your spelling right on here why are you filling in forms..sorry mate but you do have spell check on here..

Spell check does not work on people's names unless they are called Wood or another recognisable English word.

Not for me. If it was Feltham I could do a couple of hours work before the hearing. Leave the car in the office car park and jump a free bus for the hearing. With a bit of luck I could go and do a few hours more work.

Panic over. I managed to find a phone number for IAC Newport and they said there are 2 centres in London, Holborn and Hatton Cross. There would be a small delay if I moved the hearing but as I said, due to the Thai and UK school years finishing March and July there isn't any great urgency to sort this in January.