What is it about the Fortuner...

wedders

Swapped the O.E Badyear Eagles for Mitch Pilots , before delivery Mich are generally quieter, and the Civic needs all the help it can get on front end road noise. Also i like Tyre Plus service,they stock all the Mich Range. As for Hi Ride Trucks as they all bleat here the Visibility is better than a Car. I fully aggree. You can see into the Ravine before you Roll Into it !!.. I scrub out the Fronts rather fast, living in the Moutains, N/s Front goes first. Not much else to do thesedays. Car Wash, Mom n Pops n Leo.biggrin.pngthumbsup.gif.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swapped the O.E Badyear Eagles for Mitch Pilots , before delivery Mich are generally quieter, and the Civic needs all the help it can get on front end road noise. Also i like Tyre Plus service,they stock all the Mich Range. As for Hi Ride Trucks as they all bleat here the Visibility is better than a Car. I fully aggree. You can see into the Ravine before you Roll Into it !!.. I scrub out the Fronts rather fast, living in the Moutains, N/s Front goes first. Not much else to do thesedays. Car Wash, Mom n Pops n Leo.biggrin.pngthumbsup.gif.

Don't know if you had the Eagle F1, I find them v/good but one-way so after sometime when eyeballed I get them off rims and turned, n/s to o/s, Mitch Pilots are what I will go for next.

I prefer front wheel drive motors, they do eat front tyres different but changing all around after a while, do's the trick. smile.png

Swapped the O.E Badyear Eagles for Mitch Pilots, before delivery Mich are generally quieter, and the Civic needs all the help it can get on front end road noise. Also, I like Tyre Plus service, they stock all the Mich Range. As for Hi Ride Trucks as they all bleat here the Visibility is better than a Car. I fully agree. You can see into the Ravine before you Roll Into it !!.. I scrub out the Fronts rather fast, living in the Mountains, N/s Front goes first. Not much else to do these days. Car Wash, Mom n Pops n Leo.biggrin.pngthumbsup.gif.

Good tire choice going with the Michelins! thumbsup.gif I was just reading where someone was asking about 'DeeStone' brand tires - only in Thailand (and related markets)! laugh.pngcheesy.gif

That mountain life is (can be) good living! Are you sure you wouldn't enjoy it more while riding the roads in a nice (SUV) Fortuner? biggrin.png

Swapped the O.E Badyear Eagles for Mitch Pilots, before delivery Mich are generally quieter, and the Civic needs all the help it can get on front end road noise. Also, I like Tyre Plus service, they stock all the Mich Range. As for Hi Ride Trucks as they all bleat here the Visibility is better than a Car. I fully agree. You can see into the Ravine before you Roll Into it !!.. I scrub out the Fronts rather fast, living in the Mountains, N/s Front goes first. Not much else to do these days. Car Wash, Mom n Pops n Leo.biggrin.pngthumbsup.gif.

Good tire choice going with the Michelins! thumbsup.gif I was just reading where someone was asking about 'DeeStone' brand tires - only in Thailand (and related markets)! laugh.pngcheesy.gif

That mountain life is (can be) good living! Are you sure you wouldn't enjoy it more while riding the roads in a nice (SUV) Fortuner? biggrin.png

Been doing a fair share of mountain roads towards Mae Sot, Boklua, etc. Honestly, those are moments, you do not really appreciate being in a SUV. For example, being chased into a curve by a truck breathing into your neck at 1 meter and 65-70 kph, on a tight road. Those were moments where I wished I was in a smaller sports car.

This being said, all is in the driver's skills.

biggrin.png

No Thanks , a Pig can only take so much Lipstick before it looks Daft.cheesy.gif If i Feel Suicidal, i take the Lads TBlazer down to Town.

biggrin.png

No Thanks , a Pig can only take so much Lipstick before it looks Daft.cheesy.gif If i Feel Suicidal, i take the Lads TBlazer down to Town.

Well, we certainly respect your personal opinions ...... but ...... that Trailblazer you mentioned would also be a nice SUV choice to cruise those mountain roads! thumbsup.gif

biggrin.png

Well, we certainly respect your personal opinions ...... but ...... that Trailblazer you mentioned would also be a nice SUV choice to cruise those mountain roads! thumbsup.gif

Sorry Nooooooooooooooooo..... Front wheel drive car 4wd car better. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Kwasaki

biggrin.png

Sorry Nooooooooooooooooo..... Front wheel drive car 4wd car better. thumbsup.gif

Not when you're carrying 7 people plus their luggage for an overnighter at Doi Suthep, or traveling with the family plus the 2 35kg pet dogs, etc., etc., - and all in comfort!

I like the universality SUVs give me when I do my (mountain) driving. The 2010 Fortuner handled those mountain roads very well, my MU-7, too, only it's more roomier .......

biggrin.png

Not when you're carrying 7 people plus their luggage for an overnighter at Doi Suthep, or traveling with the family plus the 2 35kg pet dogs, etc., etc., - and all in comfort!

I like the universality SUVs give me when I do my (mountain) driving. The 2010 Fortuner handled those mountain roads very well, my MU-7, too, only it's more roomier .......

7 people and 2 dogs in an SUV, plus luggage. Long drive then............sounds like a blaaaady nightmare. :-) better to buy 2 cars. :-D

Edited by mjj
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can appreciate why the Fortuner is so popular and almost has a cult following here in Thailand. There are many parked in my condo garage along with the competition like the Pajero and MU7. The Fortuner is the standout when looking at the exterior design and quality of fittings in comparison. And the Toyota reliability is something the competition only can envy:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/10/28/consumer-reports-survey-reliability/3286915/

• Like 1

Back when we bought ours, the Fortuner was the only decent SUV around. The competition was some pick-ups with a rear roof welded to them. I believe that is still true of Ford and Isuzu.

I've only heard good things about the Pajero Sport so I guess I'd take a test drive between the two. Ford should be coming out with a Ranger based SUV at some point - I am surprised they haven't already.

One thing I value about the thing is the fact that Toyota's never really changed it. You get different lights and small improvements here and there if you buy the car now vs. 7 years ago, but it's still pretty much the same car. That's a good thing if you have an old one ;)

CRV and so on - different category, makes no sense to compare these. I want room to haul stuff so to this day these wouldn't be an option.

I took one rear seat off BTW. They are spectacularly uncomfortable and really the only reason they are there at all is so the Fortuner can get into the people carrier tax bracket at 30% rather than 50% for a passenger car. It needs 7 seat capacity. Each seat is held by one screw so this is rather easy to do.

Back when we bought ours, the Fortuner was the only decent SUV around. The competition was some pick-ups with a rear roof welded to them. I believe that is still true of Ford and Isuzu.

I've only heard good things about the Pajero Sport so I guess I'd take a test drive between the two. Ford should be coming out with a Ranger based SUV at some point - I am surprised they haven't already.

One thing I value about the thing is the fact that Toyota's never really changed it. You get different lights and small improvements here and there if you buy the car now vs. 7 years ago, but it's still pretty much the same car. That's a good thing if you have an old one wink.png

CRV and so on - different category, makes no sense to compare these. I want room to haul stuff so to this day these wouldn't be an option.

I took one rear seat off BTW. They are spectacularly uncomfortable and really the only reason they are there at all is so the Fortuner can get into the people carrier tax bracket at 30% rather than 50% for a passenger car. It needs 7 seat capacity. Each seat is held by one screw so this is rather easy to do.

N/B two bolt's 12ml.

One thing I value about the thing is the fact that Toyota's never really changed it. You get different lights and small improvements here and there if you buy the car now vs. 7 years ago, but it's still pretty much the same car. That's a good thing if you have an old one wink.png

One screw.........?

I can appreciate why the Fortuner is so popular and almost has a cult following here in Thailand. There are many parked in my condo garage along with the competition like the Pajero and MU7. The Fortuner is the standout when looking at the exterior design and quality of fittings in comparison. And the Toyota reliability is something the competition only can envy:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/10/28/consumer-reports-survey-reliability/3286915/

Spoken like a Toyota salesman. wink.png

One screw.........?

hehe, well if you're going pick holes I may as well jump in - the excise tax rate for PPV's is 20%, and if failing to meet the guidelines, would be 35% (not 30/50) :)

That's exactly what I thought, but there is some truth. Go to sites like JDPower Assoc. or Consumer Reports and the Toyotas consistently top the list on quality, dependability etc., way ahead of Mitsubishi and Isuzu. I have an affinity to Isuzu tbough, many years ago I did 3 somersaults in the motorway median at 70mph/120kph after a blown tire and walked away unscathed.

That's exactly what I thought, but there is some truth. Go to sites like JDPower Assoc. or Consumer Reports and the Toyotas consistently top the list on quality, dependability etc., way ahead of Mitsubishi and Isuzu. I have an affinity to Isuzu though, many years ago I did 3 somersaults in the motorway median at 70mph/120kph after a blown tire and walked away unscathed.

Glad to hear you walked away from that! I, too, was involved in one of 'walk-away-from-it' type of experiences while driving my Isuzu (SUV) a few weeks ago ..... maybe we can get a new category started!

That's exactly what I thought, but there is some truth. Go to sites like JDPower Assoc. or Consumer Reports and the Toyotas consistently top the list on quality, dependability etc., way ahead of Mitsubishi and Isuzu. I have an affinity to Isuzu though, many years ago I did 3 somersaults in the motorway median at 70mph/120kph after a blown tire and walked away unscathed.

Glad to hear you walked away from that! I, too, was involved in one of 'walk-away-from-it' type of experiences while driving my Isuzu (SUV) a few weeks ago ..... maybe we can get a new category started!

It would be nice if the Makers got together and issued a "Tumble Over" Rating for these modified trucks.!!. Im sure a basic Single Cab doesnt fall over as much as those Bloody Hi Riders / Moos and Fortunas i find at the bottom of our Moumtain 3 times a week.thumbsup.gif

It would be nice if the Makers got together and issued a "Tumble Over" Rating for these modified trucks.!!. Im sure a basic Single Cab doesnt fall over as much as those Bloody Hi Riders / Moos and Fortunas i find at the bottom of our Moumtain 3 times a week.thumbsup.gif

They haven't governments have - it's called the moose test and the Vigo "pre-runner" failed it. So did a Suzuki model.

However centre of gravity is not necessarily dependant on either ground clearance or height of vehicle. Anyone who has watched an AEC double-decker on a skid pad will appreciate that.

Edited by wilcopops

That's exactly what I thought, but there is some truth. Go to sites like JDPower Assoc. or Consumer Reports and the Toyotas consistently top the list on quality, dependability etc., way ahead of Mitsubishi and Isuzu. I have an affinity to Isuzu tbough, many years ago I did 3 somersaults in the motorway median at 70mph/120kph after a blown tire and walked away unscathed.

Which model Toyota?

They haven't governments have - it's called the moose test and the Vigo "pre-runner" failed it. So did a Suzuki model.

However centre of gravity is not necessarily dependant on either ground clearance or height of vehicle. Anyone who has watched an AEC double-decker on a skid pad will appreciate that.

Skid PanTheory, but as even the simplest driver knows a Pancake tends not to fall over like a Bus.coffee1.gif

One screw.........?

hehe, well if you're going pick holes I may as well jump in - the excise tax rate for PPV's is 20%, and if failing to meet the guidelines, would be 35% (not 30/50) smile.png

Interesting and thanks for looking it up; might have changed over the years, or my memory is fuzzy - looked it up about 7 years ago. The likes of Fortuner, PJS etc are in the PPV category though, right? That's the reason for the 7 seat capacity, I thought?!

As for one screw - all right - it's 2

Edited by nikster

Which model Toyota?

JDPower Assoc for the last 6-7 years on models like the Rav4,4runner, Land Cruiser, Camry. BTW, CR has dropped it's recommended rating on the Camry because it failed the new government offset crash tests.

If I was driving a sedan I wouldn't have somersaulted but a sedan wouldn't have had the builtin roll-bar like the Isuzu Amigo had. That vintage SUV were known to be prone to rollover.

If I was driving a sedan I wouldn't have somersaulted but a sedan wouldn't have had the builtin roll-bar like the Isuzu Amigo had. That vintage SUV were known to be prone to rollover.

Oh no! .... Not that Amigo!!! facepalm.gifbah.gif

When you look up the word, 'Rollover' in the (urban) dictionary, you will see a picture of the 'Amigo'! thumbsup.gifcheesy.gif

Two reasons I bought my MU7... Lot's of room and crash worthiness. Massive A & B pillars.

Did you forget to mention the cool-looking hood (bonnet) scoop and its best in-its-class sound system and navigation?

Lmao.

Mate, I'm a dyed in the wool MU7 owner. Great Wagon, but I'll jump ship for this model Fortuner

I hear ya'! It comes with 235 Horse Power out of the factory!!

Which is why you won't see it anytime soon in TH - even if it was the exact same production cost, it'd hit the top excise tax level which would instantly make it an ~3.5M Baht model. 

Posted Image .... Unfortunately, oh so true .... Posted Image

Which is why I will happily remain a dyed-in-the-wool MU-7 owner! Posted Image

.... but if the powers-to-be ever change their minds .... Call me .... Posted Image

I meant to add, that i did buy my MU7 with most of the bells & whistles that are options for the Activo. :)

A 4.0L Fortuner with power sounds tempting even to this die-hard Isuzu SUV owner, but it being a petrol engine sobers my enthusiasm .... somewhat.

Anyway, with govt subsidies on diesel fuel and their eng size regulations in place - we don't have to worry about seeing it any time soon. Posted Image  

They are seriously smooth. The 5 speed auto is excellent. The manual even recommends to user or manually to help with slowing down. Economical if you cruise on 120kph or less. Punch it and hang on. Not that you need speed for Thailand, but it is speed limited to 190. Plenty more steam left on board though.

Sent Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Do you work for Toyoto and are on a secret mission to entice all of us dyed-in-the-wool Isuzu SUV owners to switch to Fortuner? If so, you're doing a pretty good job of it!

But I'm holding out for that top spec 4.0L with full time 4WD, with 20" wheels and tires of my choice, in Cranberry exterior color (or glossy Black) and Cowhide color interior with leather seats!

Call me .... Posted Image

Lmao.

Mate, I'm a dyed in the wool MU7 owner. Great Wagon, but I'll jump ship for this model Fortuner

Sent using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I hear ya'! It comes with 235 Horse Power out of the factory!!

The other thing, is that they are very effortless on power delivery (5 speed auto helps), if you don't hammer it and stick at 120 or below; economical.