Gasoline for the Car

SpokaneAl

Back in the states, when using a full service station, I just tell them to fill it up.

Here in Thailand, when I suggested that, my family members reacted almost in horror. Here my family members are always want me to purchase an amount that is sure to be less than a fill up. For example, they are concerned that if we ask for one thousand baht of gas, and the car only ends up needing 800 baht worth, we will be cheated.

Do I really need to be so paranoid about being cheated at the gas pump? Won't they just give me change back if I end up asking for more than I need?

I tell them to fill it up, and have no problems. Then I hand them the plastic- local bank debit card. Had that refused once and handed them cash. (If I hadn't had the cash, there's always a nearby ATM to use the plastic)

If they don't fill it, how do they track their fuel mileage between stops? Not saying I do it religiously, but it's nice to know whether it's better or worse than last time.

I always fill up. "dem tank noi kap".

Just wind your rear window down and watch the meter on the pump. Make sure the staff know you are watching it. Make sure the amount of gas you are charged for corresponds to what you expected, and agrees with the meter.

Give them cash as close as possible to the meter reading so you don't get the wrong change (as in change for 1100 baht instead of from 1500 baht).

Everybody is happy.

• Like 1

Just wind your rear window down and watch the meter on the pump. Make sure the staff know you are watching it. Make sure the amount of gas you are charged for corresponds to what you expected, and agrees with the meter.

Give them cash as close as possible to the meter reading so you don't get the wrong change (as in change for 1100 baht instead of from 1500 baht).

Everybody is happy.

You have a problem with counting ?

OP, where do you live? In the sticks? If yes, I can understand it.

I have never had a cheating problem. Always say tem tank krap at Bangchak.

The only time I had an issue was a station where the guy thought the tank was full after 2 liters because the handle popped back because of too much back pressure. They refused to fill further. We just payed them and pulled in to the station next door. No problem there.

Simple .... Check pump is zero'd before , check price after fill and when handing over money ALWAYS say the amount you give them in Thai and smile ! Oh yes wind down rear window a bit to let them know ya on to em !! :)

• Like 1

I have been driving in Thailand for 15 years, the capacity of my European car's gas tank is 70 liters, once to my surprise, it was filled with 76 liters of benzene 95, smile.png , I complained to the gas station manager and he simply accepted their fault, apologized and charge me for 70 liters.cheesy.gif

Everybody is happy.

My comprehension of cryptic comments is sadly lacking.

I assume you're trying to make a point of some sort but it got lost in the obscurity of your six worded statement/rhetorical question.

Perhaps you could enlighten me as to the point of your post so that in turn I can enlighten you on the part of my post that you don't seem to understand. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Everybody is happy.

My comprehension of cryptic comments is sadly lacking.

I assume you're trying to make a point of some sort but it got lost in the obscurity of your six worded statement/rhetorical question.

Perhaps you could enlighten me as to the point of your post so that in turn I can enlighten you on the part of my post that you don't seem to understand. rolleyes.gif

No, i have found all the enlightenment i needed so far on this trivial topic.

Paranoia is an unreasonable, unfounded fear. I think therefore that perhaps a "watchful eye" might be a better term. You have grounds for thinking you may be cheated if you have been here for any length of time. Live and learn.

I have been driving in Thailand for 15 years, the capacity of my European car's gas tank is 70 liters, once to my surprise, it was filled with 76 liters of benzene 95, smile.png , I complained to the gas station manager and he simply accepted their fault, apologized and charge me for 70 liters.cheesy.gif

Usually the gas tanks are a bit bigger.

My cars in Europe always could take a few liters more than the tank size in the guide.

Most driveway attendants are fun and enjoy when a big bike pulls up.. some even have to use a stooll to stand on which is a great giggle. Only two arseshlocks I have come across was a self important little trumped up gasoline nazi at Caltex Asoke who insisted i get off bike before refuelling and the old fool in the PTT on Theppasit who said I could only have 10 litres for some reason based on fact that I was taking potential petrol away from the army of scooters.. never did figure that out... this is only two times out of a zillion times and never been cheated but must admit I do get a little ruffled when you tell the guy 600 and he puts in 603 and expects you to pay the 3... not because of the amount but generally it means rummaging around in my tank bag

• Like 1

We always do the fill-up, but my gf will do all sorts of physical contortions to see the meter before she hands the money over. Has never been an issue. She also carefully checks all restaurant bills before paying (and she's caught the occasional 'error' that way).

• Like 1

I find that the attendant usually wants to get to an even number on a fill up and will keep pumping even if gas starts to come out of the tube. Prefer to ask for an even numbered amount near the fill up level. And yes, I check that they zero it out before they start. Easy to see in a truck.

Trust amongst thais from your FIL is not apparant by the sounds of it. Be careful if i were you. (The eye of the beholder) !!

The second last time I filled up with LPG, I was a bit late getting out the car, and to cost me about 530 Baht, the next time, I did the exact same journey, and filled up at the same LPG station. The price then was 330 Baht. Watch them. Every time I fill up with gas, I get out the car quickly and watch the pump.

• Like 2

A scam I've seen operating in Thailand and Indonesia, though not recently, is not zeroing the meter. They go through the motions, pull the lever, but push it back before the meter hits zero. I caught a few out over the years, but I think with electronic meters/pumps, that may not be an option now. There may still be a few of the old 'manual zeroing' types in use though.

The numbers were never big to me, a dollar or two, but no doubt if they pump guys did it often throughout the day, there would be a considerable payout come closing time.

There is no need to be paranoid.

Just check that the pump is at zero when you start, and see how much fuel has gone into your car when they finish... it's easy.

In the last 12 years in Thailand ( and filling up frequently) I only got scammed once, and that was 10 years ago in Pattaya when they put the pump into my car after putting fuel into some motorbike without zeroing it first..

I don't really understand why people are paranoid about getting ripped off in Thailand.

I always wonder how accurate these pumps are and how often the government authorities check these pumps.

Beware Shell stations, They are notorious for not re-zeroing the meter. I once had a goof ball fill my 2 gallon tank on a motorbike and try and charge me 400 baht in 1990 at the old Shell station on Central road near the Nova Lodge. I had to threaten the manager that I would call the cops and surely they would see the absurdity of a 2 gallon tank trying to hold 10 gallons. She relented and charged me 50 baht (which was still too much)

Many moons ago as a student I worked in a gas station and the pumps calibrations and tanks were religiously checked and dipped every week to see that the amount of petrol being pumped was correct and there was no unmarked fuel added to the tanks. I have been here 15 years and have never seen this happening in any gas station. I'm sure it does but ..... I have often been tempted to buy a litre in a plastic bottle to check.

I usually ask for even numbers, whether in the car or on the bike. It is just easier, now that I know how much each vehicle needs. One time, though, when I first got the scooter and just wanted the tank relatively full I asked for 150 baht (it seemed like prices had gone up since the last time I was here) and the woman start pumping the gas and the tank fills up and--like some magic moron--she just kept pumping the gas because it was only at 120. Gas is spilling all over the place and I had to tell her to stop, hahaha.

She says "it isn't 150 yet" and I told her 120 would be fine. She wasn't happy, but I had exact change and sped off.

Other than weirdness like that, you should be fine. Just keep an eye on the meter, like everyone said.

Many moons ago as a student I worked in a gas station and the pumps calibrations and tanks were religiously checked and dipped every week to see that the amount of petrol being pumped was correct and there was no unmarked fuel added to the tanks. I have been here 15 years and have never seen this happening in any gas station. I'm sure it does but ..... I have often been tempted to buy a litre in a plastic bottle to check.

Or do your own weight and measure on your petrol tank, and use your needle as the gauge.

Get a 5 or 10 liter tank and fill it up. Then pour it in the tank. Note where the needle is on your display cluster. Repeat until the needle is near full. Now you know for sure how many liters you have in your tank when the needle is at certain points on your display gauge. The measure on the station pump should reflect that many liters +/- a half or so.

The only problem with this is that is creates a very strong possibility that the station is corrupt. Yo have exposed them.

Exposing corruption in Thailand is, ...well, ... we all know where that gets a foreigner; in deep shit.

Thais hate to be caught cheating by any foreigner, and they hate being caught by foreigners doing anything wrong, period.

If you want to be sure about the amount of your petrol being exact, then I suggest you are laying the groundwork for a big can of worms.

Perhaps it is simply easier to think of any cheating as the "not-written-in-the-books-yet-widely-understood foreigner tax". Yes, it is racist, but think of how many taxes you do not pay back home.

I know... "fox and grapes" but sometimes willingly turning a blind eye spares a lot of headache.

Just a few thoughts on the matter.

Edited by cup-O-coffee

I have wondered about this, and then put it out of my mind. There is no department of weights and measures in this land, and if I err on this, I am certain that it is either run like every other scam herein or in complete shambles.

There is no way for you, the customer, to know if the meter in the pump is calibrated the way it should be. So pray that it is so, just as you should pray on just about everything else you endeavor here where money is being transacted.

How do you know that the fuel truck pumps are not calibrated correctly, and the truck driver or owner keeps a few undred liters for his or her own use. We could go on and on all day.

Getting on the slippery slope of contemplation of trust or mistrust is a sure way to insanity or an ulcer.

Agree...

And if you might get scammed for a 100 baht once every 10 fill-ups - so what?

Consider it a 10 baht (100 / 10) "fueling scam tax" and forget about it.

It's not worth worrying about.

I always fill up & watch the meter....I like the tank full and they don't like to top off here but it makes about a 55-70KM difference per tank......got ripped in the Fil's but not here.....

Sometimes it worries me more to make sure I get Diesel - you'd think they'd hear the engine and know but there has been some confusion at times.....

I stick to 2 brands so I know the lay out and what to look for when traveling.....

I have never noticed any problem .....