Grandpa knows best

Suradit69

This man may deserve to win "Grandfather Of The Year."

In this incredible letter, a grandfather passionately addresses his daughter's decision to kick her gay son out of the house after he decided to come out of the closet.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/02/grandpa-letter-gay-grandson_n_4029750.html

XJbePIh.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

Hate to be a cynic ... but do you think that letter is actually 'real'?

What proof is there?

Yes, I understand that's it's a great catalyst for a discussion point.

"Hate to be a cynic ... but do you think that letter is actually 'real'?"

I'm sure you enjoy being cynical.

Since someone named Chad sent it in and got a free tee-shirt, yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus ... I mean a real letter. Did someone named "grandpa" really write it? Does it matter?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=604397906265575&set=a.152651481440222.25064.145318588840178&type=1&theater

"What proof is there?"

What proof is there that any parent would disown his/her kid for being gay? What proof is there that Neil Armstrong walked on the moon? Maybe those pictures were taken in a studio in Atlanta and maybe every kid who's gay really has loving, understanding, supportive parents.

Would it matter if Chad got kicked out of his house and went to stay with his grandfather and he made up the letter?

Did someone's grandpa take on his daughter somewhere in the world because she was a bigoted bi_tch? Why would that be so hard to believe?

It wasn't meant as a catalyst for discussion. What needs to be discussed? Some parents are homophonic turds. Some grandparents are probably as bad and some others are able to see beyond superficialities. That needs to be discussed??

In 2009 the Prado Museum in Madrid said that The Colossus, a work that had long been attributed to Francisco de Goya, was not painted by the Spanish genius.

So it turned out the painting wasn't by Goya. Everyone who looked at it and oohed and aahed was mistaken because they just looked at it and enjoyed the experience??

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Hate to be a cynic ... but do you think that letter is actually 'real'?

What proof is there?

Yes, I understand that's it's a great catalyst for a discussion point.

"Hate to be a cynic ... but do you think that letter is actually 'real'?"

I'm sure you enjoy being cynical.

Since someone named Chad sent it in and got a free tee-shirt, yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus ... I mean a real letter. Did someone named "grandpa" really write it? Does it matter?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=604397906265575&set=a.152651481440222.25064.145318588840178&type=1&theater

"What proof is there?"

What proof is there that any parent would disown his/her kid for being gay? What proof is there that Neil Armstrong walked on the moon? Maybe those pictures were taken in a studio in Atlanta and maybe every kid who's gay really has loving, understanding, supportive parents.

Would it matter if Chad got kicked out of his house and went to stay with his grandfather and he made up the letter?

Did someone's grandpa take on his daughter somewhere in the world because she was a bigoted bi_tch? Why would that be so hard to believe?

It wasn't meant as a catalyst for discussion. What needs to be discussed? Some parents are homophonic turds. Some grandparents are probably as bad and some others are able to see beyond superficialities. That needs to be discussed??

In 2009 the Prado Museum in Madrid said that The Colossus, a work that had long been attributed to Francisco de Goya, was not painted by the Spanish genius.

So it turned out the painting wasn't by Goya. Everyone who looked at it and oohed and aahed was mistaken because they just looked at it and enjoyed the experience??

I think it's a fair question, the world needs people to question authenticity. I enjoy reading comments from David48 he seems like a nice guy so let's give him a break.

I also questioned the letter but went went with the feel good moment that it's real, you're not born a racist, it's taught so this mother picked up her hatred somewhere. The good news is Chad has a loving environment now, I can only imagine the hurt prior to this from that woman.

Peace

• Like 1

Its an attention grabber and the subject deserves attention, but to me stunts like this simply cheapen the very issues they are intended to highlight.

How does this letter cheapen the issue of fighting homophobia, and standing up for whats right? Why call it a stunt?

We need more grandpas like this guy! With lots of media attention to his letter, he has advanced our cause so much, maybe more than 5 years worth of gay parades.

Edited by valgehiir

Its an attention grabber and the subject deserves attention, but to me stunts like this simply cheapen the very issues they are intended to highlight.

How does this letter cheapen the issue of fighting homophobia, and standing up for whats right? Why call it a stunt?

We need more grandpas like this guy! With lots of media attention to his letter, he has advanced our cause so much, maybe more than 5 years worth of gay parades.

Because IF its not true and there's no "grandpa" and no "letter", as seems to be the case objectively, then it looks to some people as if "we" need to make things up to "advance our cause" and that we can't do it on our own merits and by being honest, and that there aren't any genuine examples around. That weakens our "cause" on every level.

While I'd agree with you about the "5 years worth of gay parades" I'm a bit dubious about just how much "media attention" this has actually attracted outside the gay media, where its little more than preaching to the converted. A genuine case with a caring grandpa bringing up a rejected gay grandson, sending him to university, starting him off in business, taking him on in the family farm/corner store, etc, would probably reach a far wider audience.

• Like 1

Why not go with the premise it is a genuine letter?

You dubious about just how much "media attention" this has actually attracted outside the gay media?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/parenting/grandfather-writes-passionate-letter-in-gay-grandsons-defence-against-his-own-daughter/article14674374/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2442166/Grandfather-blasts-daughter-letter-kicks-gay-grandson.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/grandfather-viral-letter-daughter-disowning-kicking-gay-grandson-article-1.1476437

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/02/grandpa-letter-gay-grandson_n_4029750.htmlhttp://now.msn.com/grandfather-disowns-daughter-for-disowning-his-gay-grandson-in-viral-letter

strangely even Glenn Becks outfit, The Blaze

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/10/03/heartless-b-word-of-a-daughter-grandpa-pens-viral-letter-disowning-his-daughter-for-kicking-her-gay-son-out-of-the-house/

it is viral.

Because there is no rational explanation for how the letter got from Chad's mother to Chad to FCKH8 and it is now being used by FCKH8 for commercial profit.

You dubious about just how much "media attention" this has actually attracted outside the gay media?

Yes. Particularly as according to one of your links (three of which lead to a link to the same article and one of which (the Huff) is most definitely "gay media") "The company also used the post to advertise their $19.99 hoodies and $9.99 "equality tees."

Please see http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/669562-whats-god-ever-done-for-us/page-6#entry6896923 as to why I will not be continuing any discussions with you.

Because there is no rational explanation for how the letter got from Chad's mother to Chad to FCKH8 and it is now being used by FCKH8 for commercial profit.

Yes. Particularly as according to one of your links (three of which lead to a link to the same article and one of which (the Huff) is most definitely "gay media") "The company also used the post to advertise their $19.99 hoodies and $9.99 "equality tees."

Cmon, lets make up!

You seem to think letter was leaked by mother, but then question her reasons behind such unwise move. You maybe on to something! That sad woman probably wouldn't advertise her failure as a mother to news outlets.

Much more likely the grandpa sent a copy to somebody, or his gay grandson did. I would have! Who wouldn't want to show the world what cool grandpa they have, and how there is hope for other gay teens who have horrible bigot mothers.

What do you think?

Not sure about the hoody advertisement, but Huffpost is the largest online newspaper, and definitely not gay media. Globe And Mail is large, I think largest national newspaper in Canada.

These are unknown people anyway. It's not a big deal if it turns out fake. The point was made. Lots of people read about it. Lots of people aren't even aware of the issue of parents disowning gay kids. Now more people will be. I don't see any downside.

Cheers.

It could be fake, but large news organizations employ fact checkers. There does need to be a mom, a chad and a grandpa.

You are correct about the former, Credo, but not the latter. The few "large news organisations" that have made any reference to the letter have said very clearly that it was anonymous, that those named were not identified, and that FCKH8 have not been able to confirm its authenticity.

Those gaining the most from this stunt are the owners of FCKH8 who have got a considerable amount of free publicity out of it and probably sold a lot more overpriced T-shirts and hoodies as a result. Some people may see nothing wrong with someone cashing in on it any more than they see nothing wrong with it being a fake on the grounds that any publicity is good publicity. I don't go along with that.

Those gaining the most from this stunt are the owners of FCKH8 .. Some people may see nothing wrong with someone cashing in on it any more than they see nothing wrong with it being a fake on the grounds that any publicity is good publicity. I don't go along with that.

Except you don't know that the letter is fake. There is zero evidence that it is fake. For some reason you want it to be fake.

• Like 2

Before publishing something, it will be authenticated. Even if the people are anonymous it doesn't mean they aren't real or the situation isn't real.

But some people just like to argue about everything.

Before publishing something, it will be authenticated. Even if the people are anonymous it doesn't mean they aren't real or the situation isn't real.

But some people just like to argue about everything.

Resist ... Resist ... I'll hate myself for not resisting!

Please do tell the verification process that FCKH8 would have done ... and evidence of the same.

The Huffington Post maybe relied on the article being genuine.

So, please also show me where the Huffington Post verified the content.

... don't you think there would be some follow-up from the Author of the Letter supporting his initial stance?

None of my comments are 'Gay Related' ... they are about the verification process that Internet sources should go through before they are observed as 'Gospel'.

Apologies for the strong words ... I know where my coat is.

Cheers ...

• Like 1

I don't have a high degree of confidence the letter is genuine. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. Again -- SO WHAT?!? This isn't a government scandal or anything. It's just a reflection of an issue we all know is REAL. A letter like this brings that home to the masses. Do you seriously think if news comes out the letter is fake that people will think some parents don't disown their gay kids?

• Like 2

JT ... I'll bite ... mainly because it's an important issue and maybe I can provide a different perspective.

And, to start with, I agree with the majority of your comments and the empathy contained within the original letter.

It will have gained great support, I presume, from within the Gay community and the Gay sympathetic community ... for want of a better descriptor then that.

But the letter isn't aimed at either.

It's targeted squarely at those hard liners, who are less sympathetic, less empathetic ... it's aimed at those Christines of the world.

If it becomes a head-turner, a discussion point amongst us 'straights' ... then later proved to be a fake, a con job ... does it do the cause good? I think not.

Have to say ... it's difficult, because of political correctness and all that, as a straight, to venture to the Forum and try and make comments which we feel, but, at the same time, mindful that I/we don't ruffle the feathers.

I try and do that, because I believe that ... we are who we are ... gender shouldn't really be an issue.

BTW, a vote of thanks to sustento, who gave me a rap over the knuckles some time ago and said ... (paraphrasing) 'David, just be yourself. We're queers ... not strangers'

So I write, as I would, sitting next to you at the Pub ... calling the BS as I see it ... but buying the next round when it's my turn.

Apologies to sustento if the above came across as inaccurate.

• Like 1