So my brand new isuzu d-max top model was smashed into by a drunk driver yesterday

Mick Wood

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking at the sill panel under the doors the "ladderframe" took zero impact.

Ok yes that rear wheel is on the piss a bit but that will either be a bent rim or it pulled the front joint on the spring hanger...worst case is the axle is bent.

This hit in the pics below on a friends MU7 did bend the "Ladderframe" (also known as the chassis), it was put on a rack and straightened.

546309_4664233370963_1235690488_n.jpg

581598_4664232930952_1912052112_n.jpg

281853_4664232570943_921260931_n.jpg

185180_4664232090931_2119759427_n.jpg

I'm not a big motor expert although I have been driving accident free for 40 years now. Reading the above posts it seems to me that the best solution is to buy a new car and resell it after 5 years? I had been planning on doing this any way but had never thought about the insurance side of things. Either that or buy a wreck and drive/thrash it into the ground?

I'm not a big motor expert although I have been driving accident free for 40 years now. Reading the above posts it seems to me that the best solution is to buy a new car and resell it after 5 years? I had been planning on doing this any way but had never thought about the insurance side of things. Either that or buy a wreck and drive/thrash it into the ground?

I wouldn't get too concerned about whether you have dealer or contract repair insurance. To the best of my knowledge for the 5 years I was getting that level of coverage it didn't cost me anymore premium-wise. Having dealer repair will probably help ensure OEM parts are used, but the dealer may not have structural repair capability any better than Somchai's Body Repair & Paint Shop. All dealerships are not created equal. A lot will depend on where you live and dealerships in your area. However, if you dealership does have good body/structural repair capability....like the dealership I bought my Toyota Fortuner from here in Bangkok....then being able to drop your vehicle off at your nearby dealership for quality repair is definitely a good thing. Plus, I'm the type that hangs onto cars nearly forever while keeping them looking good...like my 1984 Pontiac Firebird I bought second hand in 1985 and kept it until 2008...sold it when I moved to Thailand in 2008. Heck, the Forturner I bought was my first new vehicle as I was always the type to buy a car second hand after it was one or two years old--and then maintain it and keep it for almost ever.

Its good to see the "experts" here read each others mind and can diagnose the chassis from a rather poor pic.

Ofcourse, I hope you are right. But i'll hold the diagnosis untill the x-raying of the ladderframe, wich took the impact, is done.

X -Ray ...seriously ?

You are delusional and looking into to something that is not there as ths is nothing more than a slight "fender bender".

At best (after your assertive direction) they will put the vehicle onto a chassis alignment machine and cross reference the dimensions against the datum points provided by the manufacturer.

In your case they will do <deleted> all and slap on some new doors and sort what ever is wrong with that rear wheel as the chassis has not been affected in anyway.

Edited by Spoonman

Maybee if the O.P Googled CAR O LINER.. I had one Years ago.but the new one is so much more advanced now.Don't worry,they do good work here,but don't go too anywhere that does not have similar one. Theres even a You Tube Vid about it too calm You Down.thumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...

Interesting posts.

So far I have shunned away from car ownership as it seems that even if a farang car is sitting at a red light and a Thai driver hits it, the farang is still liable for the damages, just for being there. A mate of mine has his car surrounded by cameras and that exact thing happened to him.

Great comments !

What an utter load of pish.

Well for utter "pish" his insurance company paid for the thai drivers car damages.

Interesting posts.

So far I have shunned away from car ownership as it seems that even if a farang car is sitting at a red light and a Thai driver hits it, the farang is still liable for the damages, just for being there. A mate of mine has his car surrounded by cameras and that exact thing happened to him.

Great comments !

What an utter load of pish.

Well for utter "pish" his insurance company paid for the thai drivers car damages.

So your mate was parked at a red light ( I assume legally as in behind the line and not in the middle of the intersection) and a Thai person ran into him and your mate's insurance company paid for the damages to the Thai's vehicle..

Very generous of the insurance comapany, which one is it as I might swaq over to them.

• 5 years later...

Rear ended by a bike several months ago, insurance took care of everything, told us were to take the car. After it was approved by the insurance office we had to wait a bit for parts to arrive, when the car was finished the rear door looked brand new they do some good work here and as someone said the cost are so cheap unless your car is old or a total repair everything.