never reported 90 days

Just met a friend here on Edvisa for 2nd year, discovered he has never done a single 90 day report! I didn't know what to advise, it seems if you are not in their system, there is never any time where that 90 day slip is actually needed? - either for renewing the visa, or leaving the country. He's never had a problem, so should he just keep it as is, or turn himself in?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't check for 90 days reports at the airport.

He is getting extensions of stay no visa renewals.

The school is at fault for not informing him to do the reports.

All it will take is for the officer doing his extension to notice there is no report slip in his passport and he would have a problem and need to pay the fine.

Edited by ubonjoe

Like Martin Luther King, I also have a dream. = Let all the Farangs "forget" to report every 90 days. The ensuing turmoil will attract the international press under the Motto "when someone has a 1 year-visa, why on earth would he have to "report" every 90 days?"

Thai-Immigration would have to release a statement like: " This is a source of revenue and we shall not do without it".

This of course will satisfy every inquiring mind.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Yes that was what I told him, but we were wondering where would they notice? He said he has never been asked for it when leaving the country, nor when the school renews the visa ever 90-days.

When he leaves the country and reenters the county, the 90 day reporting requirement is reset to the day he reenters the country. If he leaves the country without a re-entry permit, the current visa and extension of visa becomes void. He has to re-enter the country on a new visa entry. Why would they even bother checking for a 90 day notification when exiting? He's not residing in the country when exiting!

The police could notice a failure of the 90 day reporting requirement, if he is stopped, arrested, or detained by the police. They sometimes do this when looking for overstays. At that point he would have to pay the higher fine.

I was told by my local immigration office the fine was 5000 baht, not 4000 baht. Yes, if he voluntarily does a late 90 day reporting, the fine is 2000 baht. I once had forgotten about it, and noticed it 6 months later. I had to pay the 2000 baht.

Many times when doing a 90 day extension of stay by schools, the 90 day reporting could be missed because a batch of passports are processed at the same time. Depends on the imigration officer. I don't know why the school wouldn't automatically do a 90 day report when they're extending the visa every 90 days? They should know of the 90 day reporting requirement. Ultimately, the responsiblity of the 90 day reporting is not on the school, but on him. He'll have to pay.

Many farangs get confused between a 90 day extension of stay and 90 day report of residencial address. The two are not the same!

Edited by BB1950

Been here for 12 years on a non imm type b visa (university professor). Never done a single 90 day reporting. Visa is extended every May 16. I always leave the country in April to visit parents. Immigration never asks at the airport, and at the immigration visa extension they only seem to look at the last entry stamp date. Might get hit with a fine some year, but don't care. It's worth it not to worry about it the past 12 years.

• Like 1

is it such a big job and hard to report the 90 days? I know other Asean countries has same.

If you have a multiple retire visa you report 90 days or if you are shy meet the immigration you just leave the country before 90 days and when you come back, the new period of 90 days start ... that's all. Because I travel near monthly I also not need report the 90 days if I am not here more than 89 days wai.gif

I can hardly wait for the 90-day report whiners to come crashing through the back door, all puffed up and indignant about the hardship of doing 90-day reports and suggesting that those who willingly snub their noses at it (and have done so for years) are giving all the honest farangs who turn up for their quarterly dose of righteous indignation a bad name.

4000 baht fine?

Pfffft....

• Like 2

is it such a big job and hard to report the 90 days? I know other Asean countries has same.

If you have a multiple retire visa you report 90 days or if you are shy meet the immigration you just leave the country before 90 days and when you come back, the new period of 90 days start ... that's all. Because I travel near monthly I also not need report the 90 days if I am not here more than 89 days Posted Image

Assume you have a multi re-entry permit?

Has anyone been asked where the 90-day slip is when doing an extension (if it is not in the PP)? Or do they even check it at that time? It could very well be at home.

They check it (90 day receipt) in my passport every time I get an extension. First 10 years I did no reporting as it wasn't enforced but it caught up with me one day when the officer asked where my 90 day report was. I just looked like 'what's that' wink.png and she pointed at the door to the office for 90 day reporting. It was clear she wasn't going to continue with my extension until I did it. 2000 Baht fine and stamp in my passport. Have been doing it for the next 10 years now as the enforcement has gotten pretty much locked in at Chiang Mai immigration.

I also work at a university so for the member who has stated he has not reported, borrowed time comes to mind. Nothing to boast about either.

Regarding the fine - from the immigration website.

If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.

If you have a multiple retire visa you report 90 days or if you are shy meet the immigration you just leave the country before 90 days and when you come back, the new period of 90 days start ... that's all. Because I travel near monthly I also not need report the 90 days if I am not here more than 89 days wai.gif

Assume you have a multi re-entry permit?

Yes of course because I travel often, in such case it is easier as each time go apply for re-entry permit and pay (I am not sure 1800 Bath) sometimes they do and sometimes not at airport. Also with this I am n the safe side I never forget. I am also not sure but as I remember it cost ca. 3500 THB so after 2 times already amortized,

Like Tywais, I didn't report for over six years when I was teaching. When I quit and applied for a retirement extension was honest with the immigration officer and she just put a new 90 day report slip in my passport with the comment "don't let it happen again", no fine, Nakhon Sawan Office. Been doing mine by mail ever since with no problems, costs less than 50 baht for postage,

Like Martin Luther King, I also have a dream. = Let all the Farangs "forget" to report every 90 days. The ensuing turmoil will attract the international press under the Motto "when someone has a 1 year-visa, why on earth would he have to "report" every 90 days?"

Thai-Immigration would have to release a statement like: " This is a source of revenue and we shall not do without it".

Cheers.

-------------------

Does he or she really have a one year VISA?

Probably NOT.

A visa is issued by a Thai consulate outside of Thailand. When it is stamped in your passport it has a date of expiration which may be one year later. It may also say "multi" where the entry says "number of entries" and it is good for one year.

Now what you get at immigration at your local immigration office in Thailand is not a visa.

The visa is what you got to enter Thailand originally.

What you get at your local immigration is an EXTENSION of your existing visa for the purpose of:

• education or often called incorrectly an Ed visa it is in fact an extension of your visa for the purpose of education. (often learning Thai)
  • marriage incorrectly called a marriage visa. it is in fact an extension of your visa for purpose of marriage to a Thai.
  • retirement incorrectly known as retirement visa, it is in fact an extension of your existing visa for the purpose of retirement in Thailand.

In your friends case with his "Ed visa" what the school is doing is probably re-submitting the paperwork every 90 days getting him a new 90 extension each time.

The reason he doesn't have to do 90 day reporting is because 90 day reporting is for aliens who stay in Thailand more than 90 days, and because he only stays 90 days per extension (the school re-submits for a new extension every 90 days) he does not need to file 90 day reports,

The downside is that if this is what the school is doing then his actual visa may be out of date by now (the one he originally entered Thailand on) and the minute he stops taking that course and the school does not file the paperwork for another extension.....he must leave the country to get another visa.

People who actually are in Thailand legally on an extension can get into overstay problems when their reason for that extension ends if they mistakenly think that extension is a real visa from a consulate outside of Thailand and the visa is still valid. Once that extension they have been here on ends, they may be on overstay starting when that extension of their expired visa ends as the reason for their extension ends.

That's why thinking of it as an Ed visa instead of an extension for purpose of education can be so dangerous.

• Like 1

Green, on 06 Oct 2013 - 22:26, said:Green, on 06 Oct 2013 - 22:26, said:

Has anyone been asked where the 90-day slip is when doing an extension (if it is not in the PP)? Or do they even check it at that time? It could very well be at home.

I have always been asked for my 90 days receipt when I picked my extension of stay (annualy based on marriage) at CW immigration..

Edited by kotsak

Cheers.

-------------------

Does he or she really have a one year VISA?

Probably NOT.

A visa is issued by a Thai consulate outside of Thailand. When it is stamped in your passport it has a date of expiration which may be one year later. It may also say "multi" where the entry says "number of entries" and it is good for one year.

Now what you get at immigration at your local immigration office in Thailand is not a visa.

The visa is what you got to enter Thailand originally.

What you get at your local immigration is an EXTENSION of your existing visa for the purpose of:

• education or often called incorrectly an Ed visa it is in fact an extension of your visa for the purpose of education. (often learning Thai)
  • marriage incorrectly called a marriage visa. it is in fact an extension of your visa for purpose of marriage to a Thai.
  • retirement incorrectly known as retirement visa, it is in fact an extension of your existing visa for the purpose of retirement in Thailand.

In your friends case with his "Ed visa" what the school is doing is probably re-submitting the paperwork every 90 days getting him a new 90 extension each time.

The reason he doesn't have to do 90 day reporting is because 90 day reporting is for aliens who stay in Thailand more than 90 days, and because he only stays 90 days per extension (the school re-submits for a new extension every 90 days) he does not need to file 90 day reports,

The downside is that if this is what the school is doing then his actual visa may be out of date by now (the one he originally entered Thailand on) and the minute he stops taking that course and the school does not file the paperwork for another extension.....he must leave the country to get another visa.

People who actually are in Thailand legally on an extension can get into overstay problems when their reason for that extension ends if they mistakenly think that extension is a real visa from a consulate outside of Thailand and the visa is still valid. Once that extension they have been here on ends, they may be on overstay starting when that extension of their expired visa ends as the reason for their extension ends.

That's why thinking of it as an Ed visa instead of an extension for purpose of education can be so dangerous.

Good post Imafarang, very helpful thanks. I rang up my buddy to find out about that, he said he was originally on a TV, the school then switched that to an 'Edvisa' (got the letter from minEd, which gives 90 days to get the non-B, not sure about that, but altogether he got 15-months off his first visa what ever that was), now he said he didn't have to leave the country for this, and paid for that service from the school. Again I don't know anything about how that works, neither did he of course, so I got him to pull up the original email he got from the school last year, indeed they do say that along with the extensions which the school will do, he will need to do 90-day reporting. He said it just didn't sink in at the time, and confused the two as somehow being the same thing.

"The reason he doesn't have to do 90 day reporting is because 90 day reporting is for aliens who stay in Thailand more than 90 days, and because he only stays 90 days per extension (the school re-submits for a new extension every 90 days) he does not need to file 90 day reports,"

Imafarang, is this the case then for everyone on an Ed-extension-of-stay-visa, or are their exceptions? How would we check that from his PP?

Thanks again!

I use the Nakhon Sawan Immigration office. The last report that I do prior to my extension always is dated the same date that the extension is due. I just did my 90 day report and my extension is due on 6 November. The new 90 day report date is 6 November, only 59 days from my last report. They both are always due on the same day. Some offices do have it together!

I use the Nakhon Sawan Immigration office. The last report that I do prior to my extension always is dated the same date that the extension is due. I just did my 90 day report and my extension is due on 6 November. The new 90 day report date is 6 November, only 59 days from my last report. They both are always due on the same day. Some offices do have it together!

Maybe I don't understand a thing of anything, but it is not that they have it together. It is that could not place report due it further to the extension expiry date. Then if you make or don't that report, is immaterial because you have reported 59 days before, that is less that 90 days plus one week.

I think that you will find that many offices pay no attention to the expiration date of your extension to stay, they just count and stamp 90 days from your current 90 day report. If it happens to be three weeks past the date that you have to extend, you can't do the report then as it is too soon, prior to the allowable 15 days early, so another trip is required. I just think that the office that I use really has their head and ass wired together!

What other Asian countries make you report every 90 days after issuing a 1 year visa Challenger99-----I have lived in Many parts of Asia--- Could you tell me what countries....??

They check it (90 day receipt) in my passport every time I get an extension. First 10 years I did no reporting as it wasn't enforced but it caught up with me one day when the officer asked where my 90 day report was. I just looked like 'what's that' Posted Image and she pointed at the door to the office for 90 day reporting. It was clear she wasn't going to continue with my extension until I did it. 2000 Baht fine and stamp in my passport. Have been doing it for the next 10 years now as the enforcement has gotten pretty much locked in at Chiang Mai immigration.

I also work at a university so for the member who has stated he has not reported, borrowed time comes to mind. Nothing to boast about either.

Regarding the fine - from the immigration website.

If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.

Don't recall writing in a boasting way, just stating facts of my case. For me, if it does catch up with me I'll be out 2,000 and I'll consider it on a cost benefit basis at that time. But 12 years in a row without worry about it is already been a sizeable benefit. Also, when I go to immigration (Nakhon Pathom) I always dress in a tie with my university ID - and flirt with the officers - never failed me yet .

Many of the teachers I work with never do 90-day reports and it never gets mentioned when they do their annual extension of stay. As someone who always does his (by post) it's a little infuriating and I do secretly hope that one day they'll get stung with a fine!

<Snipped>

<Snipped>

That is not correct. People on 90 day extensions have to do 90 day reports just like anyone else staying in Thailand continuously for more than 90 days.

Sophon