Is this officially?

Ask for an official receipt.

There is no way that this is legit, they are part of a Government public service; their petrol fee would be paid for through expenses.

No way, is this legit or morally right.

However....

.... saying "No", might put you in a harder position for getting your visa.

Well cheeky, if you ask me.

It's the phitsunulok immigration. When u apply the so called marriage visa, they will visit your house to do a checking whether is it genuine. After the visit,they will process and approve the visa. I pay once and I already have doubts on this 500bht as there is nothing stated in the immigration regulations and no official receipt. But because they are the one handling my visa,I do not want quarrel with them for this 500bht and later make my visa difficult to get. But I'm thinking if the next time I renew my visa again,what can I do to avoid this 500bht if they ask again?

No. But I don't understand what you mean by "visit home" as that too is not usual. Why did the officer come to your home?

P.S> moving this to the visa forum for best response.

It not unusual for immigration to visit for the first extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai.

There have been reports of some immigration offices soliciting a donation for travel costs when location is a long distance from the immigration office.

The OP makes no mention of an extension of stay based on marriage.

What is talked about is a "non o visa"

Until the OP clarifies exactly what is being asked anything we say is speculation

Ah now we have it !

We are not talking about a "visa" !

It is very unlikely that the immigration visit will be repeated.Sorry I don't know did I mix it up??

When I apply for the marriage visa(non-immigrant O) officer need to come for checking on our house right??or not every case is the same?? Pls enlighten me,I quite confused. I pay the 500bht during when they vist into house.

Edited by Tywais
Fixed quote

It's the phitsunulok immigration. When u apply the so called marriage visa, they will visit your house to do a checking whether is it genuine. After the visit,they will process and approve the visa. I pay once and I already have doubts on this 500bht as there is nothing stated in the immigration regulations and no official receipt. But because they are the one handling my visa,I do not want quarrel with them for this 500bht and later make my visa difficult to get. But I'm thinking if the next time I renew my visa again,what can I do to avoid this 500bht if they ask again?

The proper terminology for it is an extension of stay based upon marriage. Not a non-o visa or marriage visa.

Yours is not the first report of this for your office. Five hundred baht is less than I have read about before. You probably did the right thing by paying it.

There will be no more visits. They are only done for the first extension.

• Like 1

The proper terminology for it is an extension of stay based upon marriage. Not a non-o visa or marriage visa.

Yours is not the first report of this for your office. Five hundred baht is less than I have read about before. You probably did the right thing by paying it.

Do u mean first extension is for the first year?? My understanding is they are still coming to visit My house during extension of the 2nd year?

I think they are asking again for this FEE

Do u mean first extension is for the first year?? My understanding is they are still coming to visit My house during extension of the 2nd year?

I think they are asking again for this FEE

Again I will state the fact that they only do home visits for the first extension.

They will not do it ever again unless you move or loose your chain of extensions for some reason.

At The local immigration office I inquired about changing from a retirement visa to a marriage visa and was advised that It would take a lot longer time to OK the visa change, that the office was required to go to your home and verify that you were married and lived at the address on the paperwork. They would also talk to your neighbors to verify that you do in fact live at the house.

I was not told of a gas charge for the service or of any charge for the required official home visit, it was my understanding that this visit was a one time visit to verify you qualified for the requested visa.

I remained on my retirement visa.

Cheers:wai2.gif

When I did my first extension for marriage, the wife and I were informed that the immigration police would be visiting our house and talking to our neighbors to verify our residence and status. That same afternoon, my wife received a call stating that for a 1000 baht fee, we would be informed of when the immigration police would arrive so we could have our neighbors available. That didn't make sense to me, so I told my wife to decline the offer. A few days later, we received a letter from immigration telling us to report to the immigration police at a specified date and time, and to bring a neighbor (non relative) to verify our status and residence. We did so, and I received the extension about three weeks later. While at immigration, my wife asked why we were told to come in, and was told that it was too far for the immigration police to drive. At the time, we lived about a 15 minute drive from immigration.

• Like 2

The visit is mandatory for your first non imm O visa, to prove that you and your wife really live there. We also had to supply photos of us standing in the doorway, and at the gate, and also photos of us in our next door neighbours doorway, with neighbours present in the photos.

This is why the Thai system is laughable.

They scammed you for the 500B there is no such fee. But as far as i am aware, every government office is corrupt, including our imm office.

We are a 45 minute drive from immigration.

Edited by klubex99

The visit is mandatory for your first non imm O visa, to prove that you and your wife really live there. We also had to supply photos of us standing in the doorway, and at the gate, and also photos of us in our next door neighbours doorway, with neighbours present in the photos.

They scammed you for the 500B there is no such fee. But as far as i am aware, every government office is corrupt, including our imm office.

Not a non o imm. visa the OP is talking about an extension of stay based on marriage, which can only be issued if you have a non-imm. visa which are typically issued out of Thailand. You can convert a tourist visa or a visa except stay to a non o at immigration if you will be applying for a extension of stay.

Never had a visit. Not on my first extension of stay based on marriage or any subsequent one. I don't think anything is mandatory - all left to the officer's discretion which is based on what his boss tells him/her to do.

The photos used to be of family, then wanted outside house, showing the number, then inside house as well.

All immigration systems have their quirks, not just the Thai.

Edited by Baerboxer

They came to my hoouse on my first extention based on marrage . I think there were five of them ... Had to have someone from the moo baan come to the house as well . They took a photo and left. No mention of paying any fee for this . Have had two extentions after that and no vist . I have moved to a new house since then Im curious to see if they come out again on my next extention . They already know I ve moved so guess wait and see....

A couple of years ago two officers came to my house they had heard that there were Burmese workers working in the area, they asked to see mine and my wifes passports of which they were happy with , after giving them a glass of water they were on their way. They were in plain clothes but had Thai IDs clearly displayed they never asked for any money what they did do was to give me a contact number should I see any new workers in the area I live up in the Jungle my nearest neighbour is 150 metres away and I think at the time he had a Burmese girl taking care of him they called there first but got no answer !!!!!!!

I have never had or applied for an extension of stay based upon anything. I, by my own choice, utalise a 'non immi o" Visa.

On two previous occassions I together with all (most) Farangs in the Tambon have been visited by two Immigration "Officers" to check on validity of our Visas and the date of "Permitted to Stay until ***** ". Quite polite and no hassles at all.

This didn't occur with Immigration - to the best of my knowledge - however, that being said, if it had, I don't think I'd have had too many issues as my wife's cousin and his family are our neighbours. I also believe there's a few high ranking local dicks in my housing estate and that being the only farang living there as well makes me pretty obvious to the authorities should it need to be verified.

It did happen with another government department, although no figures were bandied about, instead I gladly offered to 'chauffeur' said officer where she needed to go - pick her up from the office and drop her back. Think she enjoyed being driven around by a farang for half a day ?

500 baht to be on good terms with the local immigration authorities isn't a large price to pay. Yes, yes feeding the Corruption Beast blah blah blah... But if 500 baht was the determining factor in being able to stay or being sent home, I know where I'm going to put that 500 baht...

• Like 1