Is this officially?

It's the phitsunulok immigration. When u apply the so called marriage visa, they will visit your house to do a checking whether is it genuine. After the visit,they will process and approve the visa. I pay once and I already have doubts on this 500bht as there is nothing stated in the immigration regulations and no official receipt. But because they are the one handling my visa,I do not want quarrel with them for this 500bht and later make my visa difficult to get. But I'm thinking if the next time I renew my visa again,what can I do to avoid this 500bht if they ask again?

The first year on a marriage extension they will visit, talk to neighbors, check you out to see if you gaming the system by saying you're marriage to some Thai gal in order to qualify for the 'marriage extension'. The guy asked for 500 baht -- coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif Oh well. Your visa extension will probably be processed efficiently instead of 'getting lost'.

In the following years they should pretty well just "rubber stamp" your visa extension. The first year they investigate, after that you should be good to go. If they show up next year, just say no.

Have had a number of home visits from our local lady Immigration officer - 90 day reports, extensions etc. - but the only money that's ever been requested has been the payment for the beer that she "imports" from Cambodia and delivers to our house!

No. But I don't understand what you mean by "visit home" as that too is not usual. Why did the officer come to your home?

P.S> moving this to the visa forum for best response.

Yes it happened to my friend, they just checking the pictures of your house, residence is not bull ship, he paid 500, no big deal he got his visa day or 2 later.

Ask for an official receipt.

There is no way that this is legit, they are part of a Government public service; their petrol fee would be paid for through expenses.

No way, is this legit or morally right.

However....

.... saying "No", might put you in a harder position for getting your visa.

Well cheeky, if you ask me.

Give him the money, smile and thank him very much. It may not be legal but it is a fact of life here. You could make a stand, but that will create far more trouble for you than it is worth.

• Like 1

There is no way that this is legit, they are part of a Government public service; their petrol fee would be paid for through expenses.

However....

I would ask for both receipts and also ID to copy

However....

HAHAHAHAHA @ MORALS - It's Thailand right?

Immigration are not keen on visa extensions citing marriage. It creates extra work for the and we wouldn't want that would we? If you are far enough down the track retirement visa is easily the best option. Apart from the bear's breath on the door, I have always found the Jomtien office staff very pleasant and helpful. Any small gratuities that I offer are handed over after I have my extension, not before. It is a UK criminal offence to offer a bribe to a foreign official.

However....

I would ask for both receipts and also ID to copy
Asking to copy his I/D is just as bad as refusing the 500bt------- for heavens sake its a one off payment,and one that will put you in good books with the immigration which may be handy later.After all if you refuse the 500Bt and somewhere down the line he decides to make trouble for you,are you going to take him to court !!!!! Sorry mate ,I know it's corruption but it's also Thailand.Pay up and be happy !!!!!!!

yes for a marriage they will visit your house and interview one of you neighbors and everyone in the household. will only do it the first time after that maybe up to immigration office. they will charge you a fee if you rent or lease the house you are in. 500 to a 1000 baht . i went through this 2 years ago chiang mai immigration

These threads are monitored.... fact..... not a great idea to ask which office, and even worse idea to give location...... especially given the subject matter.

The general rules for extensions of stay are obviously the same for all immigration offices but we know from posts by ThaiVisa members that the implementing procedures sometimes vary from one office to another. Therefore, it is good for members to indicate with what immigration office they dealt when they post about a particular procedure being used at that office, for the benefit of other members using the same office. Take for example this requirement for the marriage extension:

2.18(3) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto

Source: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=153821

2.18(3) Copy of documents proving relationship, such as a marriage certificate, a birth certificate, registration of child legitimization, household registration certificate, child adoption registration certificate, or other evidence from the government or relevant agency

Source: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a77473-immigration-bureau-order-305-2551-d.html/

We do not know what instructions or guidelines the offices have from headquarters but I can easily imagine that they are given various options of ascertaining the validity of the relationship. We already know from reports by members that a home visit or interview of neighbours or other persons is generally only done with the first application and for subsequent applications the marriage certificate is sufficient.

For an immigration office to ask an applicant to bring witnesses to the office would seem a logical request and within the rules, particularly when there is insufficient staff to cope with the workload or an insufficient budget to cover travel expenses. If the latter is the case, an applicant's agreement to cover the travel expenses may be taken into consideration as a viable option to the alternative of having to bring witnesses to the office.

the visit at home is optional while considering your application of extension based on marriage. For the moment I did three, in 3 different immigration offices and luckily agents never shown on my door although they say it was likely to happen