Ah Sir khun mai Thai its Farang price for you!

DerekMc

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is a discount based on age considered double pricing?

Well of course it is. And according to the OP and some of the other nutbags on this thread, it should be stopped immediately because no one should ever be charged more for anything, any time, anywhere!!

But in the real world that we live in, it's perfectly fine for senior citizens, students, women (ladies night), local residence, etc., etc., to get discounts. That's just the way it is and I'm pretty certain the world is not going to change for a bunch of whiners/whingers and haters.

Nope, we all show our Thai DL, and get in for the Thai price.

Nope.

I had a Thai landlord that looks like Mr. Clean. At CM Safari, he had his passport, DL, and ID card. Obviously he also speaks fluent Thai. After thirty minutes of arguing, he paid the foreigner price, because his family got tired of waiting, and entered without him!

The only stickler is the method here is so blatant and obvious, in your face kind of.

fyi: in many places it's NOT in your face as Thai prices are listed in Thai and Farang prices in English.

http://www.2pricethailand.com

where I was born I had free entrance for nearly all cultural places. people from another *city* (from the same country) had to pay.

different prices are found allover the world. in myanmar trains and buses and hotels, etc are all more expensive for NON-burmese.

life goes on...

I as a rule will not go any where that demands more money for me and my wife will not either,

I find it hilarious that so many Westerners praise their country fairness to non-citizens, as with all the anti-immigrant sentiment in Europe and the U.S. that has been in the news lately and also the unprovoked attack on non-white residents in Europe by gangs of white youth shown on U-tube.

For 100 baht you would not be able to buy a box of popcorn in Disney land, where a child's ticket is up to $80.00. and an Adult ticket is $90. U.S. Dollars, any one 10 years or older pays adult prices.

If I make plans with the in-laws to go to a certain site, I go with the understanding that I may be asked to pay a highers price only one time at the Chiang Mai Zoo we were asked to pay a higher entrance fee needless to say the whole group decided to go elsewhere.

I make the decision at the time plans are made to whether I would pay a higher entrance fee or not before I agree to go.

Over all I find Thai prices very fair, but I chose if I want to pay them or not.

Cheers:wai2.gif .

Show me ANYTHING IN THAILAND that comes close to Disneyland or Disney world in quality or quality of experience.

I would pay $80 for a child's ticket in Thailand if they could match the quality and Thais paid the same.

Further more, In the USA everyone pays the same for everything, and even foreigners can work if they are qualified!

post-147745-0-85878000-1381634667_thumb.

Most everyone loves a discount as long as THEY are on the receiving end. But when others get the discount and they don't then it is a grand conspiracy to rip them off.

I'm sure all the guys complaining about discrimination NEVER go to a bar on LADIES night where gals get in free or get free or reduced prices on drinks?

Nor would they take advantage of a senior citizen discount or a discount for local residents?

There are discounts and deals all over the world determined by age, sex, residence, citizenship etc. Go to most any of the 50 states and you'll find that you get lower rates on a variety of goods/services to include things like fishing license etc. Go play golf in Hawaii and see how much you will pay compared to a local resident. I don't know for sure but maybe thai rates are for thai citizens?...and there are very very few farangs that are actually thai citizens....residents yes/ citizens no.

Getting all upset over it won't change a thing except possibly your blood pressure and your overall outlook on life. It is really quiet simple: If you feel the price is not fair then just don't use that service or visit that place.

• Like 2

I am glad to see that some people can understand that it is not about the amount in difference that Farangs are charged from Thai's its the fact that there is a different price..

Why do you guys keep repeating the same, tired nonsense? There are plenty of places all over this world that charges non-locals a higher price. In the US, you can bet your ass that non-locals will be paying more for any number of things, including golf, hotels, theme parks, national parks, college tuition....heck, the list goes on and on. So how can you be so "shocked" that there are different prices for non-locals in Thailand? The fact that you didn't even know that proof of residency can get you the Thai price just demonstrates that you are pretty clueless.

As a matter of fact, after 50 yrs living in 5 states, and going to countless attractions, I have never seen higher pricing for international tourists. Everyone pays the same. Sorry to hear about your country.

Yeah, I have never seen dual pricing in the US. It would be illegal. The only difference would be some places that have cheaper prices for locals, but that would apply to people from other states/cities, too, so not related to nationality. This is why some people actually move to a different state and work for two years so they can get into good universities at a cheap price (in-state and out-of-state tuition...have to have been a resident for at least 2 years in most cases). Or, when I lived in NYC, there were things that were free and I couldn't believe it....but that is why you pay a city tax on top of all the other taxes. Even in that case, though, I don't think they would have not given the freebies out to non-new yorkers.

The only other thing is that there are some offers that don't apply to non-residents....but people who are residents, have the right to work, etc., still qualify.

We in Austria also charge the Germans and Japanese double, triple than the locals.

Also when those Germans are married to an Australian wife and have Australian children ?

Yes in Austria, they especially dislike Germans married to Australians!!whistling.gif

reminds me of the T-shirt a nice Austrian girl was wearing.... ''Austria ... no silly problems with kangaroos''

• Like 2

It gets even better if you go to Oxford - £9000 a year if you're a UK/EU student. £27000 a year if you aren't. Dual pricing? What's that then?

Why do you keep comparing yearly tuition fees for university students with entrance fees to tourist attractions? Are you autistic? Most people understand that governments may subsidise higher education for natives but not foreigners. It's hardly relevant to this topic though.

• Like 1

@ sustento reply to Post No 41

Did I say Eton was a University? (but it is considered amongst the finest and the epitomy of education,which was my point,as you well know) and as for rants,the last Labour Party brought in students having to pay for their own University Education,which was unfair on that generation,small wonder there was riots.You also chose to ignore the following,considering the Topic.

And finally do you really expect this tiny Island of ours to foot the bill to Educate the World? you are comparing entry fees of Universities to entry costs to Tourist attractions, apples and pears!

The point you miss is Thailand doesn't give equality on entrance fees,the UK does! that's what the Topic is about!

So there's another chance for you to answer!
And also some facts to support your claims and figures would be welcome,although why you think British and EU Students should be compared with Foreign Students in the UK,and prices for entrance fees to Tourist attractions and Events is beyond me!

This thread is about dual pricing with the usual 'Oh it's only the Thais who dual price' guff...

UK and EU students maximum fees per year in 2013 £9000

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tuition-fees/going-to-university-in-england/

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2010/dec/09/tuition-fees-vote-government-wins-narrow-victory

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/fees/index.aspx

International versus UK/EU fees at Nottingham University - one of the Russell Group (i.e. posh) universities...

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/fees/tuitionfees/201314/ugcourses201314.aspx

Be careful here sustento, you are comparing nonsense with hard facts

It gets even better if you go to Oxford - £9000 a year if you're a UK/EU student. £27000 a year if you aren't. Dual pricing? What's that then?

Why do you keep comparing yearly tuition fees for university students with entrance fees to tourist attractions? Are you autistic? Most people understand that governments may subsidise higher education for natives but not foreigners. It's hardly relevant to this topic though.

Because it's a form of dual pricing which allegedly isn't practised anywhere but in Thailand according to some of the respondents on here.

• Like 1

Why do you keep comparing yearly tuition fees for university students with entrance fees to tourist attractions? Are you autistic?

Do you think it's clever to imply that people who you don't agree with have neural development disorders?

We in Austria also charge the Germans and Japanese double, triple than the locals.

If my parents ordering a schnaps (some high alcohol drink) they pay less than foreigner and the waiter takes the other bottle which is not watered down.

rip off here rip off there.....same same

Yes and wasn't it also an Austrian who through his sick discrimination caused the death of six million innocent people,there again history teaches us that some people will never learn.

blink.png

Godwins law

Why do you keep comparing yearly tuition fees for university students with entrance fees to tourist attractions? Are you autistic?

Do you think it's clever to imply that people who you don't agree with have neural development disorders?

No, it was a genuine question. You keep repeating yourself without adding to the discussion.

It's quite obvious that visiting a waterfall for a couple of hours and studying at an educational institution for 3 or fours years that is partially funded by taxpayers money are two completely different things but you keep making the same comment - nonsensical and repetitive behaviour can be a sign of autism. The difference in the cost of university tuition is down to a lack of government subsidies for overseas students, not a higher price. Are you honestly telling me that you are unable to understand this? Or are you implying that the Thai government subsidises visits to waterfalls and other attractions for natives? That's not what they said when they implemented the dual pricing policy.

Edited by inthepink

I as a rule will not go any where that demands more money for me and my wife will not either,

I find it hilarious that so many Westerners praise their country fairness to non-citizens, as with all the anti-immigrant sentiment in Europe and the U.S. that has been in the news lately and also the unprovoked attack on non-white residents in Europe by gangs of white youth shown on U-tube.

For 100 baht you would not be able to buy a box of popcorn in Disney land, where a child's ticket is up to $80.00. and an Adult ticket is $90. U.S. Dollars, any one 10 years or older pays adult prices.

If I make plans with the in-laws to go to a certain site, I go with the understanding that I may be asked to pay a highers price only one time at the Chiang Mai Zoo we were asked to pay a higher entrance fee needless to say the whole group decided to go elsewhere.

I make the decision at the time plans are made to whether I would pay a higher entrance fee or not before I agree to go.

Over all I find Thai prices very fair, but I chose if I want to pay them or not.

Show me ANYTHING IN THAILAND that comes close to Disneyland or Disney world in quality or quality of experience.

I would pay $80 for a child's ticket in Thailand if they could match the quality and Thais paid the same.

Further more, In the USA everyone pays the same for everything, and even foreigners can work if they are qualified!

Further more, In the USA everyone pays the same for everything, and even foreigners can work if they are qualified

Hate to tell you but everyone in the USA does not pay the same for everything....have you ever been to the states? There are local prices, senior prices, student prices, women only prices...you name it. Everybody loves a discount as long as THEY qualify..otherwise it is discrimination.

• Like 2

Further more, In the USA everyone pays the same for everything, and even foreigners can work if they are qualified

Hate to tell you but everyone in the USA does not pay the same for everything....have you ever been to the states? There are local prices, senior prices, student prices, women only prices...you name it. Everybody loves a discount as long as THEY qualify..otherwise it is discrimination.

You are correct, pomchop. Why do characters like this willyumiii come on these threads and just flatout lie? If he's going to make up a lie about America, he should realize that there are in fact real life Americans on these forums.

• Like 1

No, it was a genuine question. You keep repeating yourself without adding to the discussion.

It's quite obvious that visiting a waterfall for a couple of hours and studying at an educational institution for 3 or fours years that is partially funded by taxpayers money are two completely different things but you keep making the same comment - nonsensical and repetitive behaviour can be a sign of autism.

It's a form of dual pricing sponsored and authorised by government.

It's quite obvious that visiting a waterfall for a couple of hours and studying at an educational institution for 3 or fours years that is partially funded by taxpayers money are two completely different things but you keep making the same comment - nonsensical and repetitive behaviour can be a sign of autism. The difference in the cost of university tuition is down to a lack of government subsidies for overseas students, not a higher price. Are you honestly telling me that you are unable to understand this? Or are you implying that the Thai government subsidises visits to waterfalls and other attractions for natives? That's not what they said when they implemented the dual pricing policy.

Inthepink, are you confused about the word "subsidy?" Receiving a subsidy is the same as getting a discount, so yes, the Thai government subsidizes locals who visit certain Thai parks and attractions. Both state universities and national parks in the US are supported by the government. And both typically have dual-pricing for locals and non-locals. I attended both a private and public university in the US. The private had single-pricing (but much more expensive) and the public uni had dual-pricing. It had nothing to do with "government subsidies for overseas students" as out-of-state Americans were also charged higher tuition. The point is that there is dual-pricing in America and most other countries. So sustento's argument is relevant. You on the other hand, clearly have an agenda.

Inthepink, are you confused about the word "subsidy?" Receiving a subsidy is the same as getting a discount, so yes, the Thai government subsidizes locals who visit certain Thai parks and attractions. Both state universities and national parks in the US are supported by the government. And both typically have dual-pricing for locals and non-locals. I attended both a private and public university in the US. The private had single-pricing (but much more expensive) and the public uni had dual-pricing. It had nothing to do with "government subsidies for overseas students" as out-of-state Americans were also charged higher tuition. The point is that there is dual-pricing in America and most other countries. So sustento's argument is relevant. You on the other hand, clearly have an agenda.

Sorry, what's my agenda? I'm simply putting forward the case that university tuition fees really aren't relevant to the topic of this thread.

As far as I'm aware, the entrance fee for Thais was not reduced for national parks and other attractions, it was increased for foreigners. I think you are confused about the word discount. (By the way, I was talking about UK tourist attractions and universities, I've no idea of and even less interest in what they do in the USA)

Putting aside the silly bickering, are you honestly telling me that you think charging overseas students the full tuition fee for attending university and charging foreigners ten times the Thai price to look at a waterfall shuld be considered as one subject??

Edited by inthepink

Sorry, what's my agenda? I'm simply putting forward the case that university tuition fees really aren't relevant to the topic of this thread.

As far as I'm aware, the entrance fee for Thais was not reduced for national parks and other attractions, it was increased for foreigners. I think you are confused about the word discount. (By the way, I was talking about UK tourist attractions and universities, I've no idea of and even less interest in what they do in the USA)

Putting aside the silly bickering, are you honestly telling me that you think charging overseas students the full tuition fee for attending university and charging foreigners ten times the Thai price to look at a waterfall shuld be considered as one subject??

Tuition fees is but ONE example of dual-pricing that occurs in the west. There are many, many more, which should put to rest the ridiculous claim that dual-pricing only occurs in Thailand.

The only stickler is the method here is so blatant and obvious, in your face kind of.

fyi: in many places it's NOT in your face as Thai prices are listed in Thai and Farang prices in English.

http://www.2pricethailand.com

where I was born I had free entrance for nearly all cultural places. people from another *city* (from the same country) had to pay.

different prices are found allover the world. in myanmar trains and buses and hotels, etc are all more expensive for NON-burmese.

life goes on...

The example you have given is an obvious no-brainer as numerical numbers are no different in Thai or English. So the farang would deserve to pay more if he neglects to see the numbers/cost in the section written in Thai language.

Tuition fees is but ONE example of dual-pricing that occurs in the west. There are many, many more, which should put to rest the ridiculous claim that dual-pricing only occurs in Thailand.

I know of not a single tourist attraction, museum, zoo or national park in the UK that charges foreigners a higher entrance fee than British citizens. Do you?

Tuition fees are not an example of dual pricing, they are an example of the government not subsidising higher education fees for foreign nationals. Name me one country that does NOT charge foreigners more to attend their universities. I very much doubt that Thailand is the only country in the world to practise dual pricing but stop trying to muddy the waters by banging on about education fees - they are irrelevant to this discussion. Fees are subsidised because governments believe that everybody is entitled to a higher education (or that was the theory anyway) Are you saying that Thailand believes that everybody is entitled to gaze at waterfalls and so subsidises entrance fees for natives?

And how about privately run places such as Siam Ocean World - what's their excuse, or rather how are you going to excuse them?

Edited by inthepink

Nope, we all show our Thai DL, and get in for the Thai price.

not true fifty two my girlfriend paid about 100 baht to get into phuket zoo i showed mt thai driving license and was told it would still be 500 baht

Used to live 200m down the road and would not walk in Phuket zoo if I was paid 500 Bt. Miserable show of cruelty toward animals.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

Most everyone loves a discount as long as THEY are on the receiving end. But when others get the discount and they don't then it is a grand conspiracy to rip them off.

I'm sure all the guys complaining about discrimination NEVER go to a bar on LADIES night where gals get in free or get free or reduced prices on drinks?

Nor would they take advantage of a senior citizen discount or a discount for local residents?

There are discounts and deals all over the world determined by age, sex, residence, citizenship etc. Go to most any of the 50 states and you'll find that you get lower rates on a variety of goods/services to include things like fishing license etc. Go play golf in Hawaii and see how much you will pay compared to a local resident. I don't know for sure but maybe thai rates are for thai citizens?...and there are very very few farangs that are actually thai citizens....residents yes/ citizens no.

Getting all upset over it won't change a thing except possibly your blood pressure and your overall outlook on life. It is really quiet simple: If you feel the price is not fair then just don't use that service or visit that place.

preaching to the choir. agree whole heartedly.

• Like 1

I won't go if I have to pay more for being a farang, but I don't care much about waterfalls or zoos anyway.

I would rather go to waterfalls and zoos in China or somewhere like that. They are far more spectacular in China than in Thailand, there's far more to see and every adult, whether Chinese or foreigner pays the same (i.e. no dual pricing). In fact, seniors, students and children all get discounts, including foreign seniors! Way to go China! Thailand, you have a lot to learn.