When Thais talk **** about you right in front of your face...

Nautilus05

This only really applies to people who speak a little Thai, or enough to overhear conversations. What do you do when someone starts talking shit about you when they're about 2 feet away from you, and they don't realize you can understand what they're saying?

God that pisses me off.

I just went down to the store to grab a few things. Just a typical, family owned mom & pop store. They had some family event / meal going on, mom was the clerk, and this ~20yo female was milling around, who I'm assuming was their daughter / niece. The young ditzy thing starts saying I'm stupid, and so are all farangs, and this and that.

I figured she probably already had some lao khao in her, so gave her a bit of lee-way for being young and stupid. The part that angered me was the mom / aunt didn't speak up at all. This lady is about 45, and doesn't know my level of Thai, but knows that I know at least some. I don't know, maybe she was just silently hoping I didn't understand what was being said.

So I got pissed, and just said, "excuse me? yes, I do understand what you're saying". The ditzy thing then just tried to joke her way out of it, and said it's no problem. That just pissed me off even more, so I began putting my things back on the shelf, and said, "sorry about that, and i'll never come to your store again. don't worry, there's about 6 other stores in walking distance, and i'll go there from now on".

At that point, the mom / aunt spoke up. She spoke really quickly in Laos though (i'm in Issan), so I didn't catch what she said. Whatever was said prompted the ditzy thing to apologize to me though, so I grabbed my stuff again, and bought from that store.

I don't know, just pissed me off. What do you do when things like that happen?

• Like 1

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a catch 22 thing learning Thai. I think most people would like to be able to speak. Mainly to ask for things than to have conversations.

The problem is when you can it becomes annoying because then you hear all the bad things being said about you and then you have to bite your tongue!

• Like 2

It is the same in Indonesia.

I used to have a beer with this old english guy who still had a colonialist type mentality.

It was amusing listening to the staff talk <deleted> to and about him and he thinking they were singing his praises.

In a bizare twist this guy started "dating" one of the bar staff, he decided he needed a driver and she offered up one of her female friends.

The female friend was the bar girls lesbian live in lover. So the two lesbians got to go everywhere together on his dime and with this guy being none the wiser. Sorry, off topic.

• Like 1

On more than a few occasions when it's been pointed out that I can speak Thai there have been a few red faces. These are usually followed by well meant and well accepted apologies. Then again I've never heard anything that bad said about me personally to be honest. Most of it tends to be generalisations (often wild ones) about Westerners.

On the rare occasion I hear something opprobrious about myself, I just sit there and smile, content in the knowledge that I probably pay more tax in a month than their entire salary...

Life's too short....

• Like 2

Its a catch 22 thing learning Thai. I think most people would like to be able to speak. Mainly to ask for things than to have conversations.

The problem is when you can it becomes annoying because then you hear all the bad things being said about you and then you have to bite your tongue!

Surely not....these people love us enough for some to want to fight for the country.

I am sure bad things have been said about me within earshot but I don't recall any off hand. In the case of the OP, I would like to think I would do as Gsxrnz (I do this when I am ignored by a sales person who addresses their questions to the Thai person I am with, despite me clearly talking in Thai to my friend/colleague/wife/son).

Edited by GarryP
  • Like 1

It amuses me to see this thread,on a scale of 1 to 100, i reckon farangs bad mouth thais 97 and thais bad mouth farang 3,and 2 of them,the farang deserved it.I here issan monkeys on here,farm fresh,dark skin racism compared to thai white skin, all the crap,abusing thais

• Like 2

I have been living In Thailand for about 6 years now,,, I speak enough Thai to be able to communicate with other Thais.

also I can understand when some one is talking about me.

In your situation,,, I would have told the person in question,, what I thought about them,, and told them what they could do with the products I was gong to buy from there shop ( stick it up your A@#,,,( All in Thai ),,,Then I would go else where to spend my money

Plenty of shops In Thailand,,,

• Like 1

On my wedding day at the Amphur I got 'All farangs are little dogs' when my wife was out of earshot. She got an answer about many Thai ladies resembling ghosts with their white skin crap (referring to her).

This very morning we visited a shop we had been buying seeds for a year now. A new girl there treated my wife as if she was a bar girl and asked impertinent questions. I didn't catch that part of the conversation but I did understand when she shouted to the sullen Chinese lady at the back 'you can keep your seeds, there's another shop down the road'. No reaction of course , why bother.