When Thais talk **** about you right in front of your face...

Nautilus05

Would in any civilized country in this world (at least in public) someone dare to shout out loud "FOREIGNER" just because you walk by and do nothing?? This Farang thing has been beaten to death many times and the word farang is clearly not meant in a good way often. Lack of education and good manners. Buddhists my ass.....

(Before someone complains, yes it may happen but imagine the looks on other people´s faces and the embarassment of everyone)

Short answer. Yes they would. And they do. Even though we do pass Anti Racial Vilifcation and Discrimination Laws to ban it.

Slopehead. Chink. Chokey. Gook. Nog. Nip. Lack of education? Christians? In comparison, Farang isn't all that bad really, where the term Farang can still be used in a non derogative sense.

I, personally, have never cared for any of these terms and don't use them.

In my very young days in the Far East, the members of the Commonwealth Nations mostly referred to all Asians, collectively, as 'Chokey's', but when the movie 'The Sand Pebbles' became a bit hit, the US version 'Slopehead' replaced it and is still widely used to this day.

Anyway, just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean that everybody is still not out to get you.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and Mrs.Trans were in a nice restaurant up here in the boonies, remember she is in her forties and l don't look like an ''old'' guy. We left and Mrs.Trans said to me the Thai folk on the next table had said out loud, ''look a farang come and take young girl'' whistling.gif . That pissed me off and I asked why she didn't give them some verbal ?. She said I am a Thai lady and just ignore, I said well the guy certainly isn't a Thai gentleman is he. sad.png

You really don't get your wife do you.. by saying something about it she would loose her young girl compliment... Trans.. go back to learn more about the female gender. cheesy.gif

Me and Mrs.Trans were in a nice restaurant up here in the boonies, remember she is in her forties and l don't look like an ''old'' guy. We left and Mrs.Trans said to me the Thai folk on the next table had said out loud, ''look a farang come and take young girl'' whistling.gif . That pissed me off and I asked why she didn't give them some verbal ?. She said I am a Thai lady and just ignore, I said well the guy certainly isn't a Thai gentleman is he. sad.png

You really don't get your wife do you.. by saying something about it she would loose her young girl compliment... Trans.. go back to learn more about the female gender. cheesy.gif

I've had a lifetime of that shit sad.png , and for sure I do NOT now want to try and understand whistling.gif , you can if you like, but me, nooooooooooo, because no guy will ever crack what they/you think you have cracked. whistling.gif .....................laugh.png

If Thai is Chinese Thai the best retort is calling them 'jek' Wow the fun I've had with that. Chines Thai HATE that word that 100% Thais use for them.

Other times I've said I'm not farang but 'kaek khao'.

My eldest daughter told me the other day that she find the farang word upsetting at times but she's grown up being subjected to it.

Jek?? <deleted> is that?

Mind you some pure thais look chinese too. Northern thais and some issan thais look chinese.

Jek?? <deleted> is that?

Get your Thai friends to explain, even better ask them, ai jek plae wa arai?

To be polite many Thais will say khon jeen these days. Have you noticed how they don't say khon farang or khon kaek. Then again the Chinese integrate here unlike the dancing farang monkeys as someone said. The Chinese don't go around saying 'pood passaa Thai mai dai' as they learn how to speak it. What a stupid thing to say anyway.Nearly as bad as 'farang chawp sanook' or 'mai chai farang pen saparot'.

• Like 1

Its a catch 22 thing learning Thai. I think most people would like to be able to speak. Mainly to ask for things than to have conversations.

The problem is when you can it becomes annoying because then you hear all the bad things being said about you and then you have to bite your tongue!

Once you have basic Thai you'll also be amazed by the utter <deleted> they speak about 99% of the time.

• Like 2

If Thai is Chinese Thai the best retort is calling them 'jek' Wow the fun I've had with that. Chines Thai HATE that word that 100% Thais use for them.

My eldest daughter told me the other day that she find the farang word upsetting at times but she's grown up being subjected to it.

Try ee- esarn or ee-dahm they work wonders as well.

And if it's a self loving bimbo just say na-gead. That will cause them to post endless 'like' seeking photos on facebook.

You better work on the pronounciation man.

The first one would mean dark right?

na-gead? It's na giat.

Tonal pronounciation is important in thai but oh you're going to be so sensitive and hurt and claim it isn't so.

na-gead and na giat are much the same using different transliteration systems.

IMHO, you are both wrong - it should be transcribed as "nah gliad"

But the Royal Thai transliteration system says "na kliat."

In Chinese, Korean, Thai take aways and restaurants all over the UK you'll hear the patrons refer to the staff as chinks, gooks. Brits will say in normal conversation, lets have a chinkie, let's go down the Pakis etc then there's can I have a 69 please, tooth hurty, hansum man, no munee no hunee in fake Asian accents

Being a dumb ass racist loud mouth is a human failing. It's only hurts when it's a westerner getting the rough end apparently

• Like 2

Agreed... But maybe it is time to insist that we are Norwegian, Spanish, French, German or whatever and refuse to be categorized as farang any more. Refuse to accept and endorse the obvious racist slur. Many of the performing chimps you mention I would suggest that they do not realise that they are considered to be just bit part performers in the Thai scheme of things.Perhaps have a Farang day when everyteime teh word Farang is used by a Thai they are asked to explain what exactly a farang is... Jesting!

When you see asian ppl do you bother to differentiate them from chinese, japanese etc or do you just call them asian?

You would obviously identify their nationality. It is a common courtesy.

Jek?? <deleted> is that?

Mind you some pure thais look chinese too. Northern thais and some issan thais look chinese.

Jek?? <deleted> is that?

Get your Thai friends to explain, even better ask them, ai jek plae wa arai?

To be polite many Thais will say khon jeen these days. Have you noticed how they don't say khon farang or khon kaek. Then again the Chinese integrate here unlike the dancing farang monkeys as someone said. The Chinese don't go around saying 'pood passaa Thai mai dai' as they learn how to speak it. What a stupid thing to say anyway.Nearly as bad as 'farang chawp sanook' or 'mai chai farang pen saparot'.

When I read some of the attempts at Thai on here I wonder if the Thais would even understand what was being said.

What makes me laugh even more, guys living here and having to rely on their wife to translate.

You want to have a look at some of the guys wandering around Bkk these days, no wonder the Thais laugh and poke fun, heck I do it myself having witnessed these drunken morons trying to hit on office girls on the BTS.

Try ee- esarn or ee-dahm they work wonders as well.

And if it's a self loving bimbo just say na-gead. That will cause them to post endless 'like' seeking photos on facebook.

You better work on the pronounciation man.

The first one would mean dark right?

na-gead? It's na giat.

Tonal pronounciation is important in thai but oh you're going to be so sensitive and hurt and claim it isn't so.

Noh nuu

sara Ah

Goh ghia

Loh ling (dropped)

sara ea

Doh deg

Dahm

Doh deg

sara ahm

smile.png

Edited by sbk
thai language in thai forum only

I can't be,rive people get so upset about the whole thing.

Go elsewhere, ignore it, don't surround yourself with people who are racist and frankly don't waste your energ.y on trying to change something that is outside of your control. There are bigots everywhere. Personally, I don't like the Farang word, and it's connotations, but it hardly affects my life, but always seems to get a good reaction on TV

When I read some of the attempts at Thai on here I wonder if the Thais would even understand what was being said.

What makes me laugh even more, guys living here and having to rely on their wife to translate.

You want to have a look at some of the guys wandering around Bkk these days, no wonder the Thais laugh and poke fun, heck I do it myself having witnessed these drunken morons trying to hit on office girls on the BTS.

Likewise when I see some of the attempts at Thai, I wonder whether those foreigners really know what is being said by the shopkeepers/staff, and simply assume they are being bad mouthed or totally misinterpret the comments passed. I have lived here many years and I can recall only once being bad mouthed (that was by a bus conductor as I walked past a bus he was hanging out of and there was no doubt the comment was directed at me - I was walking alone). I really don't understand where these people go shopping.

If I understood Thai there would be no way in the world I would let a Thai know it. Much better to be aware of what they are saying about you and you can treat them with the contempt they deserve and never give them your custom.

Once they know you understand they will still think you are a buffalo but just not say it in front of you.

Best to be aware of it but not let them know.

• Like 1

Likewise when I see some of the attempts at Thai, I wonder whether those foreigners really know what is being said by the shopkeepers/staff, and simply assume they are being bad mouthed or totally misinterpret the comments passed. I have lived here many years and I can recall only once being bad mouthed (that was by a bus conductor as I walked past a bus he was hanging out of and there was no doubt the comment was directed at me - I was walking alone). I really don't understand where these people go shopping.

Kinda depends what you mean with talking bad about you. I have had it quite a few times that they were discussing me in ways they would not have if they knew I could understand it. Nothing major bad or so but just not polite. Remember understanding comes way before speaking Thai.

countless times I have caught 'them' talking about me from bar to office workers and have always let them have a barrage of verbal....

this thread is quite funny actually as all the non native thai speakers appear as if they are the top of the pile looking down.... I gave up speaking Thai to strangers as unlike the foreigners in the UK who speak English badly but we persist and get the gist of what they are saying you say 1 or 2 words to them that are not perfect and the blank look comes out, they will not admit they don't know on all counts and the conversations I have had and heard are mainly about... food, food, money, food, what someone hasn't got, what they have got and more food....this is in general and only my opinion and experience.

However those Thai people who are rich enough to study abroad or been abroad, they can talk a little about the places they have visited and lived in and then it gets back to food...or football I forgot that

• Like 1

I've been bad mouthed a few times, and i have to admit that sometimes i was at fault.

For the occasional mocking comment, i really don't care...

As some poster above pointed out, the behaviour of some foreigners can be sometimes appalling... No wonder that some less educated Thai is thinking most foreigners are drunken morons.

I can't be,rive people get so upset about the whole thing.

Go elsewhere, ignore it, don't surround yourself with people who are racist and frankly don't waste your energ.y on trying to change something that is outside of your control. There are bigots everywhere. Personally, I don't like the Farang word, and it's connotations, but it hardly affects my life, but always seems to get a good reaction on TV

you make chinese joke light

semantics, what you refer to is called a banknote. you would like me to say check, but that''s slang and something else again....a crack or imperfection or chess term........to be smart.. ahem

Huh??

Ok, I'll play, what on earth are you talking about?

• Like 1

Let me add in that fortunately for me, most of the times Thais speak about me they tell each other that I am handsome or if I am single, though that happened more just a couple years ago when I was 10 kg lighter. Just a month ago an older lady told the 7/11 clerk how handsome I was and if she agreed. biggrin.png At the other end of the spectrum, I once had a drunk thai in Phuket throw a beer bottle after me for absolutely no reason. His friends apologized profusely.

If you yourself are polite and don't do offensive stuff in general (whether in public or elsewhere), then you shouldn't let close minded bigots get to you. I am sure we all know a person or two who is racist about ALL immigrants or other ethnicities. Any reasonable person understands that though a group of people may have less desirable traits (for farangs that is for example being obnoxious and loud when drunk or not dressing how locals see as polite), but that of course individuals may not be like that all.

I also have some pretty strong opinions of muslims for example or africans abroad, but I of course do not let this trump the experience I am having with the person I am around at present.

However, it is not difficult to see why there would be resentment against foreigners in Thailand. We do after all quite literally sleep with their women and throw money around. I guarantee you that the exact same reaction would be common if rich Chinese began doing the same in the west.

So the best course of action is to not let one be bothered by small minds, but also to stand firm when you are being unfairly insulted.

• Like 1

The Bank Manager in the Bangkok Bank in Phuket when I questioned why I had been kept waiting for over an hour to convert Euro to Thai Baht suggested in Thai that I should go fornicate with my mother. The girl in the exchange booth simply went to lunch and left me standing there. When I complained to the head office they did not seem to think his comment was was worthy of an apology... I closed my account. To those who suspect that they are being insulted, demeaned etc by Thai's there is only one Thai word to learn and that is Jing Law .... Really? Say it and just walk away. They then can not be sure if you understood what they were talking about. Really screws them up!

Again, another example of a farang who takes an insult and smiles. You better believe that if ANYONE thai or other had told me to <deleted> my mother then I would have physically slapped the little poofter with no regards for consequences. I would even assume that Thai police would sympathize with me and pat me on my back for not killing him.

Where you there? Or are you just assuming that I smiled and accepted this insulting behavior by the bank manager? As you are assuming the police did not become involved and the manager was a little poofter?

I genuinely believe I come from a superior race. Many of you wont like me saying that, but I believe it so. I come from a country with a better world history, far better education, better economy, more achievments..... Why do these rice monkeys genuinely believe they are superior to use and take every opporuntiy to say so?

Jesus... 100 years ago they were eating food out of a bowl with there fingers without shoes.

A superior race with better education yet you can't spell achievements or opportunity.

Guess these 'rice monkeys' (seriously?) should be thankful a superior being like yourself has landed on the shores of Thailand to educate them and make the country a better place.

you know to miscreants like that their definition of superior race is based on physical appearance.

So if you have blond hair, blue eyes and live out of a trailer park and cannot even spell your own name you are superior in terms of education compared to someone that lacks those physical features but finished university.

When Thais talk shit right in front of your face... Well I usually just ignore it and pretend I don't understand and continue to listen to whatever crap they are saying.

Or I might just leave. My level of Thai is good enough to have a basic conversation if I need to and understand about 75% but unfortunately not quite at the stage where I could successfully have an argument with a Thai and win.

I think just keep studying then you can wait for little nong to finish her rant and proceed to ask big nong how her days been and the finer history of her family business.

It pisses me off incredibly also but if you can't verbally defend yourself then your option is to either walk away or ignore completely. Losing your temper and getting angry will just indulge them I think.

• Like 1

Nex time your in there say hi just me the stupid falang.

That's one option, although I think under the rules you would actually lose face (and give face to them) by saying that, because they've already been embarrassed about it and technically lost face and apologised.

A better option is to "forget" that it happened and be polite, even smarmily polite. Then under the rules of engagement, they have to be even more nice to you to make amends (give face) for their original misdemeanour and the fact that you aren't trying to take away their face directly by mentioning the original incident. In a round-a-bout sort of way, you're making them lose face by them being compelled to give you face.

She will know she's being screwed, but will have to play by the rules....provided YOU play by the rules. This can go on forever, until she outdoes you and gives you super-big face in some way, and then it's technically even - or you may find that she manages to put you in a situation where you have to repay face to her.

The Rugby rules are a piece of cake compared to the Face rules. whistling.gif

Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you!

You reap what you sow,

I think it is hypocritical, that so many posters have a very obvious dislike of Thai's, many feel, as some have posted because of their master race logic.

I have been here for over a decade and have not run into the Thai racism that so many are posting to.

Why, maybe it is because I treat Thai's with respect and receive their respect in kind,

I also do not have an air about me that suggests, I feel that I am superior to the Thai's, which many people can pick up in attitude and body language

If one expresses their opinion about liking Thailand or Thai's they come under attack because their opinion does not concur with those other posters on the forum. Many who feel no one has a right to like what they dislike (no one but them, have a right to am opinion).

If most Thai's have access to this forum, you would see a great change in how Thai's relate to you as a Falang!

Falang means a foreigners, what is insulting about the term.

The word used in the U.S. referring to any Asian is "GooK" or to Latins as "Wetbacks"

in my life time I have seen signs place on restaurant doors stating "No Mexicans served", same for Blacks and Native American's. In the southern US until 1965 Blacks had their own rest rooms, drinking fountains, restaurants, schools and were forced by the law to use only those facilities, etc,

That is what I consider racism.

I have never seen those problems in Thailand, just my opinion!

Cheers:wai2.gif

I'm new here, new in Thailand, obviously don't speak Thai.

Honestly, all the noise in this post about "face" this and that sounds so petty and unimportant. I guess I hear a lot about this sort of thing, but I hope I never bother to care what some bored teenager says about me. There are bored kids like that all over the world.

But posts like this are good for me as a new resident, because they help me concentrate on what's important in my life. What other people say about me, especially when they don't know me from Adam, doesn't matter at all.

I was kind of thinking on this question the other day. This is what I came up with, however useful or useless.......

If I was driving an old car around in countries like Thailand or say Mexico, which one would I be more uncomfortable in if the car broke down. I am truly trying to be as objective as possible, but if I broke down in Thailand, my paranoia and concern would be maxed. I would be feeling as if I am going to be getting overcharged for the tow and the fix, feeling like every person that talks about me is somehow putting me down or talking about how to take advantage of me, feeling like I may get into a shakedown situation from the cops, feeling like the communication between me and the Thai parties would just be totally futile (that would be mostly my fault of course). Same car breaking down in Mexico, at least the places I have been, honestly I'd be having visions of kicking back in some dude's garage drinking beer with him and him fixing my car for like 20 dollars and just overall having a great time. Call it me, call it whatever you want, but that is how I feel here. The only country that has made me feel like this too.

Edited by isawasnake

I cannot say I understand Thai, just a dozen words. If Thai do not speak English - my presence is not needed.

But I think it is not polite to talk about me as if I'm not there. And I think I know when they try to talk about me in my presence.

The best policy I worked out is - walk off without saying 'bye' or 'wai'. Sort of demonstratively. They do get the message.

And no, OP, I wouldn't buy from this shop again.